State sponsorship two years commitment and citizenship

reza

Hello

I understand this topic has been discussed many times in several forums. I would like to know if any one has obtained his/her citizenship application approved without completing the two years living and working commitment in the sponsor state ?

I spoke to someone who claims his citizenship application has been put on hold due to not fulfilling the state sponsorship commitment. However, I saw a couple of friends who had the same situation and had their citizenship application approved. I also spoke to DIBP today morning and was told that the two years commitment has nothing to do with citizenship application.

Any advise and true stories will be highly appreciated

Regards

It depends on the visa - a 190 only has a moral requirement. But, a 489 actual requirements and failing them could result in the visa being cancelled

190 visa. Do you know if this moral obligation has any impact on citizenship application?

I asked the same question on this forum as well as others and got confirmed responses from people who successfully applied for citizenship having not lived in the state for 2 years. Some of them stayed a for a month and left but I dint come across anyone who never even entered the state

We were thinking of this because of our initial points challenge and I read a lot of posts stating over and over again that this has nothing to with citizenship, has no impact and people have successfully got their citizenship done. Most of them actually contacted the government and asked the question straight out only to be happily get the reply that it was only a 'moral' obligation when they signed up for it. Note that there are rumours that states are now trying to curb the malpractice and make it mandatory....just rumours though

KnK

I asked the same question on this forum as well as others and got confirmed responses from people who successfully applied for citizenship having not lived in the state for 2 years. Some of them stayed a for a month and left but I dint come across anyone who never even entered the state

We were thinking of this because of our initial points challenge and I read a lot of posts stating over and over again that this has nothing to with citizenship, has no impact and people have successfully got their citizenship done. Most of them actually contacted the government and asked the question straight out only to be happily get the reply that it was only a 'moral' obligation when they signed up for it. Note that there are rumours that states are now trying to curb the malpractice and make it mandatory....just rumours though

KnK

NT now rarely sponsors on a 190 because of the abuse of the system. There is no legal obligation at all and it has no effect on citizenship whatsoever. Never has had.

I'm wondering why it's so important to you, Reza - if you can't get citizenship right away, and you need to leave the country, just get a RRV as needed, and apply for citizenship later.

If they decide to reject citizenship application they may refuse to grant RRV as well. In addition its a matter of four years living in Australia. If i dont get civizenship and leave the country i will have to live in Australia for another for years to satisfy citizenship requirements.

You're allowed to leave Australia while serving out the 4-year residency requirement for citizenship, however you can't spend more than 12 months outside Australia in total and no more than 3 months in the final year. But as stated above, I've never seen anyone have any difficulty getting citizenship due to not living in their sponsoring state. That's not to say there won't be an issue in future though, we can't know what changes the government may put in place.

If they decide to reject citizenship application they may refuse to grant RRV as well. In addition its a matter of four years living in Australia. If i dont get civizenship and leave the country i will have to live in Australia for another for years to satisfy citizenship requirements.

Why on earth would you imagine they'll refuse the RRV? It is a completely different thing. And the clock does not start again so you will not have to wait another four years.

I'm guessing that what you actually want to do is get your citizenship and then go back to your home country, you don't really intend to make Australia your permanent home?

Why on earth would you imagine they'll refuse the RRV? It is a completely different thing. And the clock does not start again so you will not have to wait another four years.

I'm guessing that what you actually want to do is get your citizenship and then go back to your home country, you don't really intend to make Australia your permanent home?

It all depends on tge job market if i manage to get an academic position or a posdoc position then will definietely live here. Specially i have an australian son and surely prefer to grow up him here. My wife and i love Australia but if theres no job then there is no point to stay here jobless and get centerlink payments. I am pretty sure that Australian government and people will not like this

You're allowed to leave Australia while serving out the 4-year residency requirement for citizenship, however you can't spend more than 12 months outside Australia in total and no more than 3 months in the final year. But as stated above, I've never seen anyone have any difficulty getting citizenship due to not living in their sponsoring state. That's not to say there won't be an issue in future though, we can't know what changes the government may put in place.

Likewise, in 20 years on various forums I have never seen anyone refused citizenship for breaking the state sponsorship deal. That includes people who openly stated they never planned to live in the sponsoring state.

More threads on the subject than on anything else I reckon!