Another 'where to live' thread

Guest mbriody

Guest mbriody

Just been looking through the forum and Geelong is mentioned as a nice place. As I am likely to be working in CBD is a commute feasible? Are there good train links and if so what sort of cost would it be?

I'm currently commuting 2 hours each way into London so it won't be hard to improve on that. Ditto the weather - I'm currently looking out of my office window onto a grey and drizzly Docklands in what is supposed to be the summer!

Hi my Ex father in law travels from Torquay every day further 30 min past Geelong, and loves his life. I think you would be travelling an 1+? on the train (never done it myself) but what are your needs? do you have kids etc budget????

Makes life easy when you know what you want

Guest mbriody

We have two kids they will be 16 and 18. The youngest will need to start the equivalent of A'levels but my daughter will be on a gap year with a college place in the UK for Sept 2009.

My wife is a nurse/midwife so will be on an average salary but I am quite fortunate in that I am an IT contractor so will be on quite a good wage (hopefully!). We are looking initially at 2 years but are coming out with an open mind. We did 2 years in California a few years back so are used to the hassles of starting out in a new country and have no illusions.

However we do want to live somewhere nice, ideally near the coast. I have no idea of rents out there but I'm guessing we could afford $1500 to $2000 a month. Is this unrealistic for a nice area?

We have a nice house and standard of living in the UK but we live in a completely land locked town which has gone rapidly down hill over the past few years. I also have a horrific commute each day (or I have to live away from home). We're looking to improve our quality of life and to travel and explore a new country.

hi once again,

un sure of the rent prices but i can find them out. some areas i like are

St kilda: on the beach 15 minutes into the cbd by tram great night life for gigs etc must warn you has a reputation for drugs and prostitution but the newer part is fine plenty of private schools close by.

Docklands 5 minutes from the cbd by tram or walk/ride. Hi rise appartments all brand new very smart

Williamstown just onthe other side of the West gate bridge great life style good schools fantastic local shops cafe etc about 10 to 20 minutes away from the cbd

If your happy away from the coast Carlton is nice.

I take it having older children you would start to like a night life? if so and you like a drink, dont drive because police cars have the blow in the bags.

Inner city living maybe a little more costly but it saves on fuel and time.

Hope this helps if not let me know or if you want some more info

All the best

Geoffrey

Guest The Pom Queen

Have you thought about the South East Burbs? There are some beautiful places along the coast, you also have the Bayside area.

commute by car to cbd about 30 mins , dependant on traffic and time between 7-9am it's horrendous and can take considerably longer, as everyone is heading into the city , personally ( i'd rather be in the uk on the m6 southbound) lol ,

Hi tincan great post and welcome to PIO,

I think you have been out of England to long lol. m6 i hate it m5 m1 m56 m66 m25 etc etc Give me an Aussie traffic jam any day lol

look forward to seeing more posts off you

All the best

Geoffrey

Guest mbriody

Thanks for the post. Wow those rents seem high! So you're currently paying over $5400 per calendar month! That's more expensive than central London. It must be a nice place but we won't be able to stretch that far.

My kids are expecting a fairly large detached place, hopefully with a pool and games room. Maybe we'll need to live further out or lower expectations a bit.

Williamstown its a little gem we rented a 3 bedroom unit with garage but, no garden on the strand (pricey area) cost $1000 p/w...

currently renting in hampton 3 bed 1930's property gardens $1350 p/w lots of choice in the:yes: rental market and

Thanks for the post. Wow those rents seem high! So you're currently paying over $5400 per calendar month! That's more expensive than central London. It must be a nice place but we won't be able to stretch that far.

My kids are expecting a fairly large detached place, hopefully with a pool and games room. Maybe we'll need to live further out or lower expectations a bit.

Hi this site may help you for rentals in and around Melbourne, just go to rents fill in your areas (it has a map) Buxton Real Estate - Home if you find an area that you think you may like put it up on this site im sure someone will help you

Good luck

Geoffrey

Archived