Visa Applicant Character Consideration Unit (VACCU) processing time

perthling

Hi guys :) good morning.

was just wondering if anybody here had an experience with VACCU and how long did they take to give an evaluation on your case?

I applied (onshore) on August 2015 for a 189 visa with my husband as my dependent (he is currently working in Perth). Sadly our case was forwarded to VACCU because my husband had a some convictions in the UK during his earlier years. VACCU issued a notice of intent to refuse last February 5 and we replied on March 4 with all the documents we could gather to prove that my husband has spent the last six years turning his life around and abiding by the laws. These included a background of all offenses, references from UK and Australian employers, training certificates and CVs, letters of support from co-workers, friends, family and even one from his probation officer back in the UK.

Now my husband and I have been separated for 7 months and and would really like to be reunited, regardless of the outcome of our application. My husband said if after two months from today and still no result from VACCU, he will apply for a bridging visa B and travel to the Philippines to be with me. That would be lovely but I'm just scared that after one month of vacation and he returns to Perth on a Bridging Visa B and he declares his convictions on his incoming passenger card is there a chance they won't let him into Australia? or worse put him in immigration detention??

*I've been watching too much Border Patrol* Any insight will be much appreciated. Thanks!

sadly no../ he first entered Oz in 2013 and has never went out since. we did declare all his convictions in our current visa application, submitted his AUStralian and UK police clearanced and submitted a detailed background on all offences even before the case was sent to VACCU

sadly no../ he first entered Oz in 2013 and has never went out since. we did declare all his convictions in our current visa application, submitted his AUStralian and UK police clearanced and submitted a detailed background on all offences even before the case was sent to VACCU

It is not a good idea to hire a dog and then bark yourself.

and

If the visa is refused when the applicant is offshore, there are no merits review rights.

• 3 months later...

Hi Perthling,

just wondered if you had any update regarding your husbands visa situ?

i am in a similar situation currently, so it would good to hear from you? i've added you. hope that was ok.

thanks

Mike

Hi Perthling,

just wondered if you had any update regarding your husbands visa situ?

i am in a similar situation currently, so it would good to hear from you? i've added you. hope that was ok.

thanks

Mike

hi mike, sorry for the late reply. sadly there is no result from vaccu yet.looks like urgency is not vaccu's main priority. here is a timeline of our interactions with vaccu:

Feb 5: Received Notice of intent to refuse base on character grounds

March 3: Submitted my husband's documents

May 8: Emailed VACCU and asked for an update to wc they replied within the day saying my husband's documents will be forwarded soon to the delegate of the minister so a decision can be made.

I'll probably email VACCU again on the first week of July to ask for an update. Hopefully the start of the new financial year will usher in some progress in our case. Lastly, my husband has not gone out of Perth WA yet, and hos not tried for a bridging visa B (so he could travel) in the fear that he will not be able to travel back into Oz. Job market in England is not good at the moment and he wants to save as much Oz dollars while he can work there.