Backpackers Volunteer Work - Tax Query

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

I'm hoping @Alan Collett can help answer this as a tax agent and helping with WHV's or anyone else who has experience.

I know they have stopped backpackers from volunteering on farms for their second year and they have to be paid, BUT, can't the accommodation and board be classed as payment? Afaik and I'm useless with tax issues but payment doesn't have to be with cash. So would there be some kind of loop hole for people to still be able to secure their second year visa through volunteering?

Also another quick question, did the rule ever come in where you could do hospitality work in a rural area for the second year visa?

I don't think accommodation and food would be enough to cover the hours worked. I'm not a fan of exploitation hence would very much hope it never comes in. Don't for the main part any longer agree with volunteering either. Just sets the pathway to cut costs by sacking paid employees for unpaid ones. What employer or business wouldn't want that?

Guest The Pom Queen
I don't think accommodation and food would be enough to cover the hours worked. I'm not a fan of exploitation hence would very much hope it never comes in. Don't for the main part any longer agree with volunteering either. Just sets the pathway to cut costs by sacking paid employees for unpaid ones. What employer or business wouldn't want that?

I'm talking about farmers here, ones who are in a desperate way due to the drought, farmers whose cattle are dying, farmers who are struggling to keep a meal on their table and a roof over their head. They are the ones who need help and can't afford to pay a wage.

Who puts a price on the accommodation anyway? I was in a hotel in Sydney before my op they were charging $200 a night, from Wednesday it goes up to $800 a night.

Another way would be for farmers to charge for accommodation and then pay the backpacker this back in wages, would it work, is it workable within the law, I don't know.

I'm talking about farmers here, ones who are in a desperate way due to the drought, farmers whose cattle are dying, farmers who are struggling to keep a meal on their table and a roof over their head. They are the ones who need help and can't afford to pay a wage.

Who puts a price on the accommodation anyway? I was in a hotel in Sydney before my op they were charging $200 a night, from Wednesday it goes up to $800 a night.

Another way would be for farmers to charge for accommodation and then pay the backpacker this back in wages, would it work, is it workable within the law, I don't know.

I see what you are getting at but also see it as opening to door to allowing exploitation. I'm sure some farmers need help, but there are government funds in place to assist, besides who is to say that it will only be those desperate farmers using the scheme?

I have already read some despairing comments by farmers with regards to Backpackers and am fully aware conditions on a number of farms are far from ideal. I personally would not like to be reliant on the ability of a number of farmers to do the right thing. There certainly needs to be checks and balances made and that working visitors are protected and have avenues to report exploitative/sexual harassment / substandard conditions to a relevant authority.