Temporary Residents Education Fees - Petition please read and sign!!!

lindzee88

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is your friends child at a private school?

She would be better off, not even the private schools charge anywhere near that..

Our local private international school - http://www.hills.qld.edu.au/media/Enrolment-PDF/2016AustralianFees.pdf

Our other local private school - http://www.emmausjimboomba.qld.edu.au/Enrolments/Documents/School%20Fees%202016%20-%20Individual%20Year%20Level%20Breakdown.pdf

Cal x

It is just very simple. The 457 is a temporary visa. The expectation of which is that people on it will come to Australia for a short time to fill a vacancy that couldn't be filled locally and then leave. As a result, it is perfectly reasonable to treat them differently for the purpose of government funding. The same principle applies to Centre Link benefits. Also for Medicare - Brits get Medicare by agreement between the UK and Australia, however, 457 holders from most other countries don't.

Very true. I don't hear any of the 457s complain about them being treated differently when it comes to LAFHA and the associated tax benefits. Yes, they changed some of it but legacy contracts are still covered and there are heaps out there (source: I'm an accountant and see them daily). So how come the 457s don't complain and insist on paying taxes like PRs, citizens and everybody else?

What about superannuation rules? Why don't 457s complain that they get large tax concessions when they leave the country and withdraw their super prior to reaching their preservation age? Why don't they complain about not being treated equally to PRs and citizens and getting slugged with a 47% penalty?

Edited by littlegreenman

Wonder if they will apply this to people who are already here with kids at school. They did this in WA. I do not think that is fair TBH as people came under different rules and did not expect to pay fees.

Completely agree people previously in WA who at the time of application didn't have fees then being told they have to pay fees seems unfair.

As an educator, I firmly believe that these fees are needed.

However, I also believe that they should not apply to those 457 holders who are already resident in the country (who came before fees were introduced).

People that have since come out (and those in the future) on a 457 visa, did so knowing that school fees existed and so really they have no valid complaint, it's a decision that they took with the knowledge that they would need to pay.

Very true. I don't hear any of the 457s complain about them being treated differently when it comes to LAFHA and the associated tax benefits. Yes, they changed some of it but legacy contracts are still covered and there are heaps out there (source: I'm an accountant and see them daily). So how come the 457s don't complain and insist on paying taxes like PRs, citizens and everybody else?

What about superannuation rules? Why don't 457s complain that they get large tax concessions when they leave the country and withdraw their super prior to reaching their preservation age? Why don't they complain about not being treated equally to PRs and citizens and getting slugged with a 47% penalty?

I'm sure I'll come up with an answer to this question over due course. I'm pondering and scratching my head and think I'm in the process of unravelling the mystic behind the question after considerable cerebral effort.

Wonder if they will apply this to people who are already here with kids at school. They did this in WA. I do not think that is fair TBH as people came under different rules and did not expect to pay fees.

It would be extremely unfair to apply them retrospectively, when you come here on a 457 the assumption is your skills are in demand, so with full knowledge of the education fees you would negotiate these into your package, if you are already here and didn't have that option to negotitiate with your prospective employer then that seems unfair.

Edited by Phoenix16
Typo

You are correct although LAFHA is long long gone for 457 holders, we had the option to stay as 457 and reap the LAFHA rewards or apply for PR, we didn't have to think twice but the overnight loss of $3000 per month as we lodged the PR application was a lump in the throat ha ha, but as I say, those days are long gone, maybe though there should be a tax rebate for those on 457's who have to fund their children's educations here in OZ.

I'm sure I'll come up with an answer to this question over due course. I'm pondering and scratching my head and think I'm in the process of unravelling the mystic behind the question after considerable cerebral effort.

Im waiting with baited breath for when the mist evaporates and you get clarity!!!

Someone who arrives here on a 457 does have hopes and aspirations of it leading to a permanent move

But that's not what the visa is for, Jessie. The 457 visa exists to fill temporary gaps in the Australian job market - it was never intended to provide a "back door" to staying permanently, and that's why it is so precarious. Anyone who decides to try to migrate that way with a family, rather than treat it as the short-term adventure it is, is setting themselves up for a hard road - it's unfortunate that more of them don't understand all the implications of what they're doing to their family before they start.

As others have said, the idea of the 457 is that the salary should be appropriate to cover all the extra expenses a family will face - but unfortunately some employers take advantage of people desperate to get to Australia, and pay them less than they would an Australian!

Edited by Marisawright