Temporary Residents Education Fees - Petition please read and sign!!!

lindzee88

https://www.change.org/p/nsw-government-department-of-education-against-human-rights?recruiter=337379759&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink

Please view this link and sign the petition against certain Australian States charging temporary residents fees up to $15000 per year per child for education, which under the United Nations Human Rights is against a basic human right "free primary education TO ALL"

If you are thinking about moving to Australia with a family, please make sure you do your research on school fees.

Thank you :)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely every child does have the right to its free education, back in the UK, but if parents chose to take the child away from "their human rights to free education" why should other tax payers pick up the bill for that?

That is the advantage of going for PR, you are making a commitment to that country and then you get your free child education again.

We can't have it all ways.

Actually its a human right within the United nations - they all sign an agreement, England and Australia are founders of the United Nations. The agreement is that all countries within the united nations have the right to Free education, whether they are from another country or not.

We are tax payers, our taxes go towards the education department.

You also have to take into consideration the reason why Australia is sponsoring workers from other countries - because they are lacking skilled workers which ultimately effects their economy. They need us as much as we need them.

But thanks for your input. :)

https://www.change.org/p/nsw-government-department-of-education-against-human-rights?recruiter=337379759&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink

Please view this link and sign the petition against certain Australian States charging temporary residents fees up to $15000 per year per child for education, which under the United Nations Human Rights is against a basic human right "free primary education TO ALL"

If you are thinking about moving to Australia with a family, please make sure you do your research on school fees.

Thank you :)

No, I don't agree with you.

I am a teacher and I see how underfunded many schools are. Temporary residents absolutely should pay fees, the clue is in the 'temporary' part and the small amount of taxes paid over a short period are an indicator of this.

You chose to move here on a temporary visa and as such were (if you researched as you should) fully informed of the necessary fees to be paid before departure.

By the way, no state charges $15,000 a year, you are mistaken.

Edited by Sammy1

Actually its a human right within the United nations - they all sign an agreement, England and Australia are founders of the United Nations. The agreement is that all countries within the united nations have the right to Free education, whether they are from another country or not.

We are tax payers, our taxes go towards the education department.

You also have to take into consideration the reason why Australia is sponsoring workers from other countries - because they are lacking skilled workers which ultimately effects their economy. They need us as much as we need them.

But thanks for your input. :)

If you do manage to convince them that they're breaching a UN agreement they could always just change the immigration rules to say that only people without children are eligible for temporary visas (just as only single people under 31 are eligible for WHVs and almost all visas have discriminatory age and health restrictions). Problem solved.

Note that most temporary visas are employer sponsored. If an employer wants to sponsors someone from overseas then it's up to them to pay enough to cover the children's education while in Australia. If they're not willing to pay for that then they don't really need the skilled worker.

We were not informed before moving here, and perhaps that is my own fault for not doing the research. But we pay taxes and are locked in on low paid sponsorships. This is primary school education, this is free to international students in the UK. We pay the actual school fees, as they have their own and this an extra government charge.

Its totally appalling and Im genuinely shocked at the response. This isnt me trying to get a freebie, we are hard working people, we pay our taxes, we contribute skills and labour and are here for a "better" life and to help build the future of Australia - just for the government to be making it as stressful as possible.

well Ken that would be causing problems within itself

If you do manage to convince them that they're breaching a UN agreement they could always just change the immigration rules to say that only people without children are eligible for temporary visas (just as only single people under 31 are eligible for WHVs and almost all visas have discriminatory age and health restrictions). Problem solved.

Note that most temporary visas are employer sponsored. If an employer wants to sponsors someone from overseas then it's up to them to pay enough to cover the children's education while in Australia. If they're not willing to pay for that then they don't really need the skilled worker.

Out of interest does the UK charge temporary residents to send their kids to public schools?

In the UK public schools charge everyone to send their kids there (they're not government funded so have to charge fees to the parents in order to survive). State schools are government funded but I don't know if they charge temporary residents or not. I suspect that much like the NHS they should charge but can't be bothered to do so as the unfamiliar paperwork is too much hassle.

We were not informed before moving here, and perhaps that is my own fault for not doing the research. But we pay taxes and are locked in on low paid sponsorships. This is primary school education, this is free to international students in the UK. We pay the actual school fees, as they have their own and this an extra government charge.

Its totally appalling and Im genuinely shocked at the response. This isnt me trying to get a freebie, we are hard working people, we pay our taxes, we contribute skills and labour and are here for a "better" life and to help build the future of Australia - just for the government to be making it as stressful as possible.

As a family it is a risk to move to the other side of the world and be 'locked' in low paying jobs via temporary sponsorship, but it is one that you took.

However, I am not sure how you were not made aware of the school fees to be paid. Once your temporary visa finishes then you can enjoy free education back in the UK unless you decide to apply for PR and then become eligible for benefits due to your commitment.

It makes no sense at all that you did not know about the fees..

Edited by Sammy1

Sorry, but of this simply isn't the case. You are assumingly on a 457. So, your not here for a better life. Your only here for 4 years. The 457 has no guaranteed path to anything else. During the course of 4 years, you will not pay enough in tax to cover education and all the other aspects of life. Hence why many 457 holders are not entitled to Medicare

If you are on a low income, then I would question if there was the actual need to sponsor you in the first place

I am most surprised though that you didn't know. Surely, when you make a huge decision to move to the other side of the world, you research everything. I know before our move I had hundreds of files on it

Sorry, but of this simply isn't the case. You are assumingly on a 457. So, your not here for a better life. Your only here for 4 years. The 457 has no guaranteed path to anything else. During the course of 4 years, you will not pay enough in tax to cover education and all the other aspects of life. Hence why many 457 holders are not entitled to Medicare

If you are on a low income, then I would question if there was the actual need to sponsor you in the first place

I am most surprised though that you didn't know. Surely, when you make a huge decision to move to the other side of the world, you research everything. I know before our move I had hundreds of files on it

We are are entitled to Medicare, again as a British citizen this is an agreement between our countries. Just like if an Australian went to the Uk they would benefit from our NHS and free primary/secondary education... But that's okay!

The self righteous comments never cease to amaze me! Strong opinions from people who measure it all by a PR or a temporary visa alone... No thoughts to the fact that people residing here on 457's are paying tax just like them, possibly paying a lot more tax than them in some cases...and are here providing a service that the government decides is sufficiently important enough to be granted a work visa. I personally tend to look at things from a fair/equitable perspective, they are equally contributing to the countries economy why should they be treated differently? What would you say to the family that simply cannot afford the fees after paying their share of taxes and sustaining a modest lifestyle in this expensive country, would you say it's tough and your kids don't deserve an expducation because you're visas different to mine, but hey my kids deserve on cos I'm a PR, even though I pay less tax than you and utilise the full benefits of Medicare and Centrelink?? A facetious comment that doesn't apply to most just trying to highlight a moral point xx