Family friendly suburbs in Melbourne

markotsg

Hello

We will be moving to Melbourne with 4 year old ( he will be nearly 5 in September 2016 when we plan to move) and 6 monhts baby.

We will be looking for Family friendly suburbs in Melbourne with good schools.

Iniitally we would like to rent for 6 months to get to know the area and then probably buy.

Our budget would be 600-700k. Would you recommend a good suburb, with good schools (primary, secondary) and ideally on the train for city CBD daily commute?

Many thanks everyone.

Ps. one suburb that we heard with postive comments is Berwick?

Have a look at beachside suburbs from Mentone down to Bonbeach. The Mentone/Parkdale area has fantastic schools, and your budget might cover a townhouse / unit. Further out the secondary schools are not as good, although primary still good. These suburbs are all on the train.

BB

Guest The Pom Queen

Berwick is lovely especially the old part. Also Lynbrook and Lyndhurst are on the train line with their own station. Also if you like new estates Cranbourne has plenty with good schools around.

Berwick is okay but a long way to the nearest beach. Frankston South is getting expensive but you can still get something in your price range. It's close to rail, beaches and great shopping facilities. Frankston High School is one of the top performing government schools in the state. It's at the gateway to the Mornington Peninsula and all its attractions including many brilliant wineries.

Have a look at beachside suburbs from Mentone down to Bonbeach. The Mentone/Parkdale area has fantastic schools, and your budget might cover a townhouse / unit. Further out the secondary schools are not as good, although primary still good. These suburbs are all on the train.

BB

I live in this area, quite nice and near train line, beach, shops (food) and a good library at Chelsea. Takes around 50mins on train to big city. We rent and consider the place to be too expensive to buy but our circumstance are different to the original poster. Circa $700k for a modern townhouse give or take $100k. Another advantage here is the seaside, massive long beaches, also keeps the place marginaly cooler when really hot in summer in comparison to the inland suburbs.

Check out realestate.com.au for ideas.

• 2 weeks later...

We are planning to move Sept 2016 too and looking for something similar. I can't help much but I would advice bearing in mind how big a family home you want.

Would you be OK with living in a unit which is a flat or a 2/3 bed house both of which are considered small in Australia OR do you guys want a proper family home with 3/4 beds, a large plot, playing space for that budget? This distinction is important as it will then give you a better idea of which family suburbs you can actually look at

We have heard, read and seen a lot about Berwick only to realise it's quite a big area with house price varying from $300k to over $1M, so the really great things you have heard of Berwick may be on streets/neighbourhoods that isnt in your price range. You will only know better once you are clear on your budget (which you are) as well as the type of home you are looking to buy. Realestate as suggested gives you a good idea of the spread

Wish you all the very best ahead!!

KnK

Berwick is okay but a long way to the nearest beach. Frankston South is getting expensive but you can still get something in your price range. It's close to rail, beaches and great shopping facilities. Frankston High School is one of the top performing government schools in the state. It's at the gateway to the Mornington Peninsula and all its attractions including many brilliant wineries.

Agree with this. We've just moved into Frankston from Mount Waverley. We were finally in a position to buy after 3.5 years renting, but no way could we afford to buy in MW. My only family members not Melbourne lives in Frankston South so I knew the area a bit, and research told us the high school was really good (borne out by our daughters first term there this year). It is important to be in the zone for the high school though. You likely won't get in otherwise. Our son is at Overport primary which is right next door to the high school and seems to be doing well so far.

Why do people assume everyone wants to be near the beach ?

Well most people who come from the UK like the beach somewhat. It also breaks up Australia's mostly intensely boring suburbs which are devoid of amenity, soul and visual attraction and it is slightly cooler in summer with a sea breeze. Other people I suppose prefer to take their recreation in big indoor shopping centres and they also enjoy driving to such entities via 50 sets of traffic lights in their 4WDrives, also eating McDonalds etc.... each to their own, bu the latter of my two options is just plain wrong:sad:.

• 3 weeks later...

Ill be hopefully moving over nearer to the end of the year, however as a single parent and will be renting, so need realisitic rental price not too bothered near the beach as can drive there, and nearer beach will be too costly, but nice area, good high school, have 2 small dogs, nice place for a run not west. any advice will be appreciated

My son lives in Berwick and it's a lovely area, people really friendly, nice cafe's and a couple of nice restaurants. It has a lovely village feel to the place, a nice house depending on what you are looking for mind will be about 500-550k, and that is recent, as myself and hubby are looking.

Berwick has a train station (Pakenham Line) into the city, it takes about 50 minutes into Flinder's Street. I would say you will need a car living there as even though there are bus's they are not frequent enough.

I can't help on school's sorry as my son is in his late twenties..Hope this help's in some way :)

You'll need to give an idea of budget and whether you are happy to live in a flat. Also whether or not you are likely to be working in the city. Remember Melbourne is over 100km side to side

Hi no i wouldn't be able to live in a flat with two dogs, approx 450 per week, i think anything approx upto 35km from cbd not west suburbs

I'm surprised. Only recently arrived but from my minimal experience the western suburbs are nice, and close to the city.

(There are a few dodgy ones too lol... But there are everywhere).

At the end of the day given the size of the city though, where you live will be down to where you work. You wouldn't want to commute cross city on a daily basis.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y520-U12 using Tapatalk

Edited by benthomas010

I'm surprised. Only recently arrived but from my minimal experience the western suburbs are nice, and close to the city.

(There are a few dodgy ones too lol... But there are everywhere).

At the end of the day given the size of the city though, where you live will be down to where you work. You wouldn't want to commute cross city on a daily basis.

Hi

I think I will need to take a trip over to check, i'm in Perth at the moment, yes I agree it will depend on where i work. I've been checking my profession out and i could be anywhere really.

where are you from originally??? Melbourne will be very different from Perth with all the suburbs

Originally from Cambridge in the UK. We only arrived 2 weeks ago. Staying in point cook at the moment and love the area but unfortunately very few of the jobs i'm applying for are this side of the city so we will likely end up east, or in Geelong.

Originally from Cambridge in the UK. We only arrived 2 weeks ago. Staying in point cook at the moment and love the area but unfortunately very few of the jobs i'm applying for are this side of the city so we will likely end up east, or in Geelong.

Im from Leeds, been in oz almost 4 years. ive been to Geelong to visit a great aunt lovely place. research shows Point cook seems to be the english destination lol hope your enjoying your move from the UK