moving to oz, where to start??

ciarab

Hi guys, my friend is heading to oz in may for 6mths. I'm thinking of going to, although i dont know where to start with visa, location etc. she is set on perth however others have said Melbourne or Sydney are the places to go for work. I'm 28 (29 in summer) have a degree but my more recent working experience has been in sales/office work.

i have been told to apply for a years working visa through STA travel, they may do a deal along with flights. I have also heard to apply through oz government for visa. whats the best way to go about it ?

I dont have much saved so would be wanting to get work straight away (high expectations i know) does anyone know websites to apply for job before going out? roughly how long does it take to get work?

accommodation- is it easy to get? hostels are they an option?

finally is it worth making the move to oz from the uk ... apart from the weather haha!

Your friend is going on a Working Holiday Visa. The visa is intended for young people who want to have a one-year holiday in Australia and work from time to time to pay their way. For that reason, you can't work for the same employer for more than six months.

Many WHV'ers do bar work or waitressing because they're travelling, however you can certainly get temp jobs in offices. However they will be temp jobs - employers will know they can't employ you for more than six months so you're not going to get a long-term job.

Check out seek.com.au for jobs but don't expect to get one before you leave. Perth is in a downturn right now so jobs may be hard to find: Sydney will be easier but accommodation (even hostels) are very expensive. Melbourne is a bit cheaper but personally I'd suggest Brisbane. You'll be much closer to many of the most interesting sights in Australia, for one thing.

You 're not "moving to" Australia, you're just coming on a long holiday. It's a great adventure and well worth doing. It will broaden your horizons.

Hi guys, my friend is heading to oz in may for 6mths. I'm thinking of going to, although i dont know where to start with visa, location etc. she is set on perth however others have said Melbourne or Sydney are the places to go for work. I'm 28 (29 in summer) have a degree but my more recent working experience has been in sales/office work.

i have been told to apply for a years working visa through STA travel, they may do a deal along with flights. I have also heard to apply through oz government for visa. whats the best way to go about it ?

I dont have much saved so would be wanting to get work straight away (high expectations i know) does anyone know websites to apply for job before going out? roughly how long does it take to get work?

accommodation- is it easy to get? hostels are they an option?

finally is it worth making the move to oz from the uk ... apart from the weather haha!

Apply for a WHV on your own. If you go through STA they will charge an extra fee etc.

Its easy to apply for, not too expensive and going direct yourself via the Aus immi site is the best way. Then you can book your own flights once its granted and shop around and get a decent deal.

A WHV is only valid for a year so don't view this as a long term move. Just you testing the waters, having some fun, seeing a bit of the world. You can do 3 months regional work to gain a second year if you wish. Read up on this and the requirements. And if you do go for it, don't lie about the regional work or go through someone dodgy to get it written off as immi do catch a lot of people out this way as they do check up on the regional work history.

I wouldnt go unless you have £5000 minimum.. you say you want to work straight away but its going to take you a week to get over jet lag and how ever long it takes to find work.. australia is an expensive place especially when you first arrive and seem to just be spend spend spend...

Hey there, Travel is good for your soul, However, Sydney or Melbourne would be a better choice in accordance with the job market in Perth, WA, been out of work for six months and I'm done n dusted but that's my story, been here 9 years and time to return (sometimes you have to leave your country to appreciate it) I've done that three times now...I would never go to a country (did it once) when I was younger, with no money and that was a Massive Mistake, really take cash with you and don't rely on Lucky be a lady tonight (Frank Sinatra) showing me age a bit there....It's great to be positive and optimistic , but realistic is going to help you more....good luck...

Archived