No live trace on police check!

Bradburns

Hi,

just wondering if anyone has been in a similar position. I have recently put visa application, when completing, I asked my husband if he had a criminal record, to which he said no! Police checks were completed and his came back saying No live trace! When I questioned him about it he looked mortified as he had forgotten an incident over 20 years ago (drunk and disorderly). I am absolutely devastated as it now looks like I lied on my application!

I have found a form that I can fill out to provide correct answers, which I will do and send to my case office along with a letter of apology and explanation. Do any of you know if I can do anything else to put this right?

Many thanks

Fill in form 1023 which I presume that you have already found.

Get your husband to write a very humble grovelling letter explaining his silly mistake and that the offence was out of character, it was embarrassing and that he'll never be a naughty boy again.

Another thing that you'll have to do is to get a written explanation of the offences committed. Easiest way to do this, including dates and how the offence was dispensed with, is to apply for a subject access report (available on the ACRO website). This costs a tenner and takes 40 days to arrive. You can get your husband to call ACRO and they can tell you exactly what the offence(s) were so that you don't miss anything else.

In the meantime explain what you are going to do to the department and I'm sure that everything will be ok.

I had this when I completed my police check the last time - No live trace. So I completed the form to find out what this meant - no live trace...so was there something at somepoint?? As to my knowledge I have no criminal record. The reply came back saying that, indeed, there was nothing on my record. Very confusing. The only time I have dealt with the police was to give a statement after witnessing a car accident. Waste of a tenner really.

I may well put a wee note in the application when I complete it for the visa application this time round.

I had this when I completed my police check the last time - No live trace. So I completed the form to find out what this meant - no live trace...so was there something at somepoint?? As to my knowledge I have no criminal record. The reply came back saying that, indeed, there was nothing on my record. Very confusing. The only time I have dealt with the police was to give a statement after witnessing a car accident. Waste of a tenner really.

I may well put a wee note in the application when I complete it for the visa application this time round.

I'd send a complaint into ACRO if I were you. It shouldn't say that if there is nothing on your record at all.

No trace = You do not have any convictions, cautions, final warnings or reprimands.

No live trace = Whilst there is criminal record information held about you, this information does not appear on your Police Certificate as it is deemed no longer relevant. It still forms part of your criminal history and it is your responsibility to declare it in accordance with the conditions of your visa application.

Further information stepped down = Only relevant criminal record information is shown on the Police Certificate.

I had had a UK police check a few years ago that said 'no trace' hence I thought something was up when it came back last year as 'no live trace.' That's why I went through the bother of applying to find out what this information was - and they then turned round and said nothing! Won't be happy if it happens again this time round for the PR visa - especially as it says I should be declaring something I know nothing about, and it seems, neither do they!

Mine said no live trace which meant that I have no criminal record. Same with my partner. We got our visa no problem and didn't have to fill out any further forms?

NO TRACE = No Criminal Record. NO LIVE TRACE = Old Criminal Record. LIVE TRACE = Recent Criminal Record

Exactly the same happened to myself, follow captain c 's advice and it will be fine I am sure. I was in one hell of a panic when the police check came back applied for the Acro and sent in the form to declare, sent the arcro when back which states every incident, time place etc but had my visa granted shortly after with no questions. Good luck xx

I'd be happy if it stated an incident....but there's nothing to state apparently - surely my witness statement for the police isn't something that would count?! We'll see what happens this time round.

If I were you I'd give them a call, tell them that the original certificate says no live trace and that unless something is on the record then they should issue a new one correctly annotated.

You might get a new one for free, so it's worth a try.

You'd only get a no live trace for any convictions or cautions. Nothing else.

The Police check will just send you a certificate - stating No trace/No live trace/Live trace

A Subject access request will list the cautions/convictions live on the record. Or in my case they sent a letter back saying I had no record, and then a sealed envelope with the same letter (that you are meant to pass on to employer etc if thats what it is for).

Hi,

just wondering if anyone has been in a similar position. I have recently put visa application, when completing, I asked my husband if he had a criminal record, to which he said no! Police checks were completed and his came back saying No live trace! When I questioned him about it he looked mortified as he had forgotten an incident over 20 years ago (drunk and disorderly). I am absolutely devastated as it now looks like I lied on my application!

I have found a form that I can fill out to provide correct answers, which I will do and send to my case office along with a letter of apology and explanation. Do any of you know if I can do anything else to put this right?

Many thanks

My hubby had the same many years before we migrated all tough migrating was a different ball game too back in 1982 case officer just looked at it and said Young and daft and moved in

When I applied for my Aussie citizenship the lass we were dealing with went white when she out my name in to check I worked in security so my name came up on thousands of police incident reports so maybe your situation is the same ?

My hubby had the same many years before we migrated all tough migrating was a different ball game too back in 1982 case officer just looked at it and said Young and daft and moved in

Not far off what they do now to be honest with you.

They really just want to weed out serial offenders, and people who have committed crimes that would result in long jail time or series of crimes that result in imprisonment.

They aren't interested in the 'jack the lad' who got up to mischief and petty stuff when they were younger. They like honest people who accept that they did wrong, and also people that don't dumb their history down or try to distance themselves from it.

Also, a word of warning to anyone with a record who is travelling to Australia prior to applying for a visa.....make sure you tick yes to the criminal convictions on the incoming passenger card. The IPC's are crossed checked when processing your visa. And if you haven't declared in the past then the department will know that you completed the card and gave a false answer.

Exactly the same happened to myself, follow captain c 's advice and it will be fine I am sure. I was in one hell of a panic when the police check came back applied for the Acro and sent in the form to declare, sent the arcro when back which states every incident, time place etc but had my visa granted shortly after with no questions. Good luck xx

Thanks Loulou, will do. I really do hope things will turn out well ??

So just called ACRO to say that I have just submitted a Police Check request, and didn't want to receive a certificate saying "No Live Trace" like the last time, and then have to go through the rigmarole of filling out more forms to find out what this apparently is. Lady I spoke to said my previous police check (Sep 14) is no longer on their system - they only save for 12 months. So basically I have to wait for this police check to come through....and go through it all again. She said that maybe the reason I had 'no live trace' from ACRO, and 'no trace' from Scotland was because of an incident that occurred in England/Wales. Load of crap considering I'd never spent longer than a few hours in England airports prior to Sep 14.

So no further forward really! She did say to call them back if the certificate says 'no live trace' and they will look into it, so ....I wait!

• 8 months later...

"No Live Trace". My son got this recently on his full ACRO police check for immigration purposes (he needs a C600 tourist visa to come visit us in Australia). I thought they'd done the wrong check until I phoned them up. It turns out that this is what such a check on time-expired UK criminal convictions will turn out now. The Department of Immigration and Border Protection therefore request an additional form from the UK Police called a "Subject Access Request". This is supposed to detail all convictions and even "NFA's" (No further action, no court appearance). This additional information puts the Australian authorities fully in the picture. Only problem is that the border protection people require this information within 28 days and the UK Police promise they'll deliver it within 40 days. The UK Police guy suggests that if you put the reference no. of the police check (starts PC16) in the Subject Access Request and indicate that you need it because of "no live trace" then the UK Police will speed the request up. The unhelpful deadlines are currently a matter of negotiation between UK and Australian authorities. All a bit different to six years ago when all his successful C600 visa application needed was the police check (and a statement of remorse about his youthful convictions). I wouldn't mind, but he's only staying with us for less than three weeks!