Marriage issues

Kel121178

My partner is British born but has lived on the god coast for 40+years so has a residency visa but has been living between there and here in the uk for the last 5 he needs to renew his rrv but is not sure he will get it so obviously I love him I've suggested we get married as I'm English and live here and will do for the next 5 years until my children finish school/college, is there a better chance if him getting his rrv if we get married?

Establishing current or compelling ties to Australia is necessary to gain RRV.

Marrying someone who lives in another country doesn't really assist in that.

Or am I missing something in your plan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He lives between the 2 countries mostly in uk and his rrv is running out he could sponsor me to go out there but I'm not ready to go yet so he needs another rrv to continue coming over here

Have to wonder the same as AJ there.

If he is living with you in the UK, how would marrying and living there help his cause for an RRV.

I'm surprised he's not taken out citizenship long before now so this sort of thing would never have been an issue.

Perhaps he can go back to Aus before his RRV runs out, spend some time there perhaps and then apply for another one and see how long he gets. Or look into Aus citizenship, though residence may cause a problem there.

Chances are he may not get a 5 year one again. It may only be a year or even a few months. If he is going to stay out of Aus long term, he can't expect them to keep issuing an RRV unless he can show serious ties (ie family there, owning a home, having a business or some such).

He lives between the 2 countries mostly in uk and his rrv is running out he could sponsor me to go out there but I'm not ready to go yet so he needs another rrv to continue coming over here

So as I said earlier, it's ties to Australia that count.

So as I said earlier, it's ties to Australia that count.

He's got a house and family in australia and a dad and other family and works over here, but the concern is what if he can't renew his rrv? He wants to eventually move back there permanently but if it's not renewed then he may have to live there soon and only visit uk ?

What he needs is to apply for citizenship, he's an idiot for not applying for it sooner. He doesn't have to give up his British citizenship to get his Aussie citizenship so there's no excuse for not getting it.

Marrying you will not help him get another RRV, in fact it might be damaging because then he has a stronger family tie in the UK than in Australia.

He should be fine...he has substantial ties to Australia. Regarding why he has not applied for citizenship...if he is British born and been here for 40 plus years the only thing that citizenship gives him is a passport, he has the right to vote, stand for office , get the pension, all government support options and all the other things that migrants today have to wait u til they are citizens to get. These British people often have no reason to go through citizenship unless they want a passport.

He should be fine...he has substantial ties to Australia. Regarding why he has not applied for citizenship...if he is British born and been here for 40 plus years the only thing that citizenship gives him is a passport

What it does give him is exactly what he needs right now - the ability to leave Australia for as long as he likes and return whenever he likes, without having to stuff around with RRV's and the like. If someone has their whole life in Australia, I can see why they wouldn't bother - however, if (like this person) he knows he's going to be living in the UK for extended periods, it just seems daft not to.

What it does give him is exactly what he needs right now - the ability to leave Australia for as long as he likes and return whenever he likes, without having to stuff around with RRV's and the like. If someone has their whole life in Australia, I can see why they wouldn't bother - however, if (like this person) he knows he's going to be living in the UK for extended periods, it just seems daft not to.

Agree whole heartedly Marissa its a security blanket having the Aussie Passport and citizenship as we have learned never say never You never know when being able to go to and fro as necessary might become just that a necessity

He should be fine...he has substantial ties to Australia. Regarding why he has not applied for citizenship...if he is British born and been here for 40 plus years the only thing that citizenship gives him is a passport, he has the right to vote, stand for office , get the pension, all government support options and all the other things that migrants today have to wait u til they are citizens to get. These British people often have no reason to go through citizenship unless they want a passport.

Probably not relevant in context to the OP but certainly relevant if other readers construe from your post that there are few advantages to taking out Australian citizenship

Voting

As an Australian citizen, you can vote in any election: federal, state or territory elections, municipal, and in a referendum. This will give a sense of participating in shaping the country’s future. Voting is actually mandatory for Australian citizens.

Seeking election

As an Australian citizen, you may hold many types of elected positions. To become a member of the Federal Parliament though, you must not hold a dual citizenship, unless you can prove that you have made all effort to have your other citizenship revoked.

Preference for jobs in the federal government

Applying for work in the Australian Defence Force or Australian Public Service. Most of these jobs require you to be an Australian citizen.

Avoiding deportation and re-entering Australia freely

As an Australian citizen, you can stay outside Australia as long as you want. You do not need to apply for any visa to re-enter Australia. Also, you cannot be deported for crimes committed after becoming a citizen.

Applying for a passport

As an Australian citizen, you are entitled to an Australian passport, which might be easier to travel with.

Receiving help from an Australian official while overseas

Australia has many embassies and consulates abroad. While traveling, as an Australian citizen, you can ask an Australian embassy or consulate for help in case of an emergency (natural disaster, accident, death…) or the loss of your passport.

Registering children born overseas as Australian citizens by descent

As an Australian citizen, you can register your children born overseas as Australian citizens. They will have the same rights as children born in Australia.

Deferral of University costs

As an Australian citizen, you may be eligible for the deferral of your education fees.

Simplified visa or residency rights

- As an Australian citizen, you have full residence rights in New Zealand without any time limit constraint or risk of losing those rights.

- Australian citizens with professional jobs have access to a simplified work visa for the U.S.

Adopting

In order to adopt a child in Australia, some states and territories require that one (or both) of the parents is an Australian citizen.

Representing Australia

Many international sporting events require that the participants representing Australian are Australian citizens.

Edited by Johndoe

Probably not relevant in context to the OP but certainly relevant if other readers construe from your post that there are few advantages to taking out Australian citizenship

Voting

As an Australian citizen, you can vote in any election: federal, state or territory elections, municipal, and in a referendum. This will give a sense of participating in shaping the country’s future. Voting is actually mandatory for Australian citizens.

Seeking election

As an Australian citizen, you may hold many types of elected positions. To become a member of the Federal Parliament though, you must not hold a dual citizenship, unless you can prove that you have made all effort to have your other citizenship revoked.

Preference for jobs in the federal government

Applying for work in the Australian Defence Force or Australian Public Service. Most of these jobs require you to be an Australian citizen.

Avoiding deportation and re-entering Australia freely

As an Australian citizen, you can stay outside Australia as long as you want. You do not need to apply for any visa to re-enter Australia. Also, you cannot be deported for crimes committed after becoming a citizen.

Applying for a passport

As an Australian citizen, you are entitled to an Australian passport, which might be easier to travel with.

Receiving help from an Australian official while overseas

Australia has many embassies and consulates abroad. While traveling, as an Australian citizen, you can ask an Australian embassy or consulate for help in case of an emergency (natural disaster, accident, death…) or the loss of your passport.

Registering children born overseas as Australian citizens by descent

As an Australian citizen, you can register your children born overseas as Australian citizens. They will have the same rights as children born in Australia.

Deferral of University costs

As an Australian citizen, you may be eligible for the deferral of your education fees.

Simplified visa or residency rights

- As an Australian citizen, you have full residence rights in New Zealand without any time limit constraint or risk of losing those rights.

- Australian citizens with professional jobs have access to a simplified work visa for the U.S.

Adopting

In order to adopt a child in Australia, some states and territories require that one (or both) of the parents is an Australian citizen.

Representing Australia

Many international sporting events require that the participants representing Australian are Australian citizens.

Not all of these are relevant to the OP as there are separate laws associated with British citizens resident here before 198X...they can vote, hold office, get HECS fees, federal jobs..they have equal rights to citizens. Yes some of these points they do not have Rights to but many of the more usual ones we talk about in this forum HECS, Voting, Benefits, the OPs partner has.

Not all of these are relevant to the OP as there are separate laws associated with British citizens resident here before 198X...they can vote, hold office, get HECS fees, federal jobs..they have equal rights to citizens. Yes some of these points they do not have Rights to but many of the more usual ones we talk about in this forum HECS, Voting, Benefits, the OPs partner has.

Like I said, "Probably not relevant in context to the OP but certainly relevant if other readers construe from your post that there are few advantages to taking out Australian citizenship"