Mt Eliza _ Melbourne Suburbs

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

Mount Eliza

image.jpeg

Mt Eliza is 48km from Melbourne CBD or 7km to Frankston which is the largest town close by and has the train station taking you to the City.

image.jpg

The population of Mt Eliza is around 18,000. 77% of which are Australians born and bred, 12% are from the UK.

Mount Eliza is both a seaside town and an outer suburb of Melbourne, situated between Frankston and Mornington. The area offers its residents spectacular views and a friendly communal atmosphere. Its coastline is generally comprised of rugged cliffs, although there are some sandy beaches that offer fantastic swimming spots.

image.jpeg

The suburb is popular with retirees, as it is not far from the city, and it is also close to the spectacular Mornington Country Golf Club.

Property

Rentals

Whilst there are some stunning properties in Mt Eliza rentals are hard to find. A 3 bed will set you back around $480pw and a 4 bed around $620pw

http://www.realestate.com.au/rent/in-mount+eliza,+vic+3930/list-1

image.jpg

For Sale

Mt Eliza properties are always in high demand, you won't find many new builds here, only older established homes. A 3 bed house to buy will be around $730,000 and a 4 bed will just be under the million mark. This is current in Feb 2016.

http://www.realestate.com.au/buy/in-Mount%20Eliza,%20VIC%203930/list-1

Shopping

The commercial centre of town surrounds the intersection of Mount Eliza Way and Canadian Bay Road. Here there are boutique shops and cafes, including the ever-popular cafe on the Mount. There is also a large IGA supermarket and a Woolworths. The main shops can be found 7km in Frankston

Mt Eliza Farmers Market

The market is held once a month within the Village Green, right in the heart of Mount Eliza. Depending on the season, shoppers will find both organic and conventionally grown vegetables, stone fruit, berries, free-range eggs, meat, smallgoods, bread, boutique beers and wine. There are hot food stalls and free entertainment.

image.jpeg

Schools

Families will find there are also plenty of schools, including a campus of the Melbourne Business School, the highly reputable Peninsula School, four primary schools and the Mount Eliza Secondary College.

Melbourne Business School

Secondary schools

The Peninsula School

Toorak College

Mount Eliza Secondary College

Primary schools

Kunyung Primary School

Mount Eliza Primary School

Mount Eliza North Primary School

St. Thomas More Catholic Primary School

Transport

Mount Eliza is served by two major roadways, the Nepean Highway and Moorooduc Highway.

The Melbourne bus routes 772, 773, 781, 784, 785 & 788 also serve the area.

Recreational Parks

The Mount Eliza Regional Park, accessed via Two Bays Road, incorporates the former Moorooduc Quarry and offers views across the surrounding plains. At the southern end of the park is a lake with picnic areas and a playground. The Mornington Tourist Railway, which offers steam train rides, has its Moorooduc station located adjacent to the park.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpeg

• 1 year later...

We live here and it's our favourite place in Oz so far...just a shame it's so darn expensive bough! Prices went up 15.5% since last year - the second-highest growth in the whole of Victoria! ?

Houses go for 10-15% above asking price, auctions for around $100k+ above asking price... rental inspections have 10-20 sets of people turning up and you'll struggle to get a big 3-bed for under $500-550...I know because we're looking to downsize from our current rental! ?

Mount Eliza Regional Park was the setting for Frog Dreaming, Canadian Bay beach was the setting for On the Beach and we've seen Hugh Jackman out jogging Andy in the local IGA ?

if anyone has any questions about moving here, I'd be happy to help out with local info. ?

• 3 months later...

We're sitting at Melbourne airport waiting for our flight home after three weeks of suburb hunting. We all loved Mt Eliza, so it's probably where we'll end up buying in the end. It has a lovely relaxed feel to it and is close enough to Dandenong (where my husband will be working) to commute.

None of us want to leave!

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, caramac said:

We're sitting at Melbourne airport waiting for our flight home after three weeks of suburb hunting. We all loved Mt Eliza, so it's probably where we'll end up buying in the end. It has a lovely relaxed feel to it and is close enough to Dandenong (where my husband will be working) to commute.

None of us want to leave!

So you're heading back again?! Is everyone going?

11 hours ago, Quoll said:

So you're heading back again?! Is everyone going?

Too good an offer to refuse, and I is constrained by pension rules in the UK,  so it seems like a good idea for a few years. 

It's complicated - two are going back soon, eldest finishes uni next year, then is off to live in either Russia or Japan, middle and I are spending a year back near you (are you still here), while she applies for grad posts and we'll travel back and forth in the holidays. 

House hunting in both places begins in earnest next week - a foot in both camps!

13 minutes ago, caramac said:

Too good an offer to refuse, and I is constrained by pension rules in the UK,  so it seems like a good idea for a few years. 

It's complicated - two are going back soon, eldest finishes uni next year, then is off to live in either Russia or Japan, middle and I are spending a year back near you (are you still here), while she applies for grad posts and we'll travel back and forth in the holidays. 

House hunting in both places begins in earnest next week - a foot in both camps!

Yup, still here! Mum died in January and dad is fighting on at 93. I'm good for coffee some time! 

22 hours ago, Quoll said:

Yup, still here! Mum died in January and dad is fighting on at 93. I'm good for coffee some time! 

I'm sorry to hear that, but I'm definitely up for a coffee/lunch soon. Should be in Norfolk sometime in Sept/Oct, depending on how well house hunting goes this week

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Oops  I think the cold has affected my brain.  We sold in 2004 but the price is correct.  Crazy prices.  The house was nothing special except it was

in Mt Eliza and very close to shops and transport.  More than I can say where we are now in France!!!    Hindsight is a wonderful thing isn't it??

• 8 months later...

I have recently lost my beloved husband after 40 years of marriage and to say the least I am devastated.  I love it here in France for many

reasons but have no family and would not expect friends to take on responsibility for me in my old age.  I have a daughter who is moving

to Ballarat which I know very well having lived in the bush there for many years.  She wants me to return so once I get myself together that's

where I think I will be heading.  I think crime is rife in a lot of these country towns and I am a little afraid but what will be will be.  Mt Eliza 

is a lovely place to live but as has been pointed out very expensive , ridiculously expensive but it's desirable.  So close to beautiful beaches and

they've updated the supermarket there beautifully since we left.  Traffic has become a problem as elsewhere.  Too many cars but hat's life

nowadays isn't it. A good standard of living if you can afford it.  I can't so Ballarat here I come.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

We owned a house in Mt Eliza before we left to come to France again.  How I wish we'd bought something smaller before we came away as our previous house has nearly sold again for a just under a million.  Crazy and it wasn't worth it but location fantastic.  Hindsight a wonder thing!  It is a lovely suburb and the supermarket has really gone upmarket and is fabulous.  Buses to and from the Mornington have been going for years and would have suited me far better right now. Heyho  However, Frankston still holds no appeal but some pretty suburbs surrounding.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...