Holiday in Scotland - Where to go?

LKC

@lady raincorn, I grew up in Maddison near muiravonside park. Parents now in Grangemouth... I was born in wallacestone...

lol Perth... I wondered as I wrote it.. I spent a couple of weeks in Perth doing tourist stuff but then hired a car for 2wksand travelled south Albany esperance etc then up to monkey Mia... Then blew the rest of our money on a hotel in Singapore. On one hand wish we'd done overland Malaysia.. But one day I'll get there (easier now from Oz) prob not cheaper. Glad ur son happy.

yes been to stobo it's beautiful countryside down that way and so nice in it. Enjoy xx

Just a thought, I know its not Scotland but seeing as you'll be in the Birmingham area, what about Warwick castle if you want to see a few castles. There are some truly magnificent ones around the UK and this would be close by. We love castles and used to go visit them wherever we were in the UK at the time. We went on holiday to Cornwall one year and we did 4 castles in a week! And Wales the same, went to loads. Some just small ruins, others much bigger and really stunning to see.

https://www.warwick-castle.com/

Just a thought, I know its not Scotland but seeing as you'll be in the Birmingham area, what about Warwick castle if you want to see a few castles. There are some truly magnificent ones around the UK and this would be close by. We love castles and used to go visit them wherever we were in the UK at the time. We went on holiday to Cornwall one year and we did 4 castles in a week! And Wales the same, went to loads. Some just small ruins, others much bigger and really stunning to see.

https://www.warwick-castle.com/

Actually, I've not been to Warwick Castle and was trying to think of somewhere to take my grandma for a day out. This might do the job! Thanks Snifter!

Actually, I've not been to Warwick Castle and was trying to think of somewhere to take my grandma for a day out. This might do the job! Thanks Snifter!

It'll be a great day out for all. Check the whats on and when listing as they do lots of events and displays etc. Its a lovely castle to visit. And kids will really get something from it too I think. Its on of the best ones to see IMHO. Bit commercial in some aspects now (but so are many historical places these days as they need to attract visitors and compete with other attractions) and some things can cost extra so be prepared.

With children your age, I would agree that aviemore would be a great base for at least three days, so much to do in that locality and a great place if your kids prefer wide open spaces, as opposed to larger built up cities.

lots of other places I could recommend, but if your only in Scotland for a week then you don't want to spend it traveling. If you do go to aviemore, check out the Landmark centre in Carrbridge, a great tree top walk for the kids there, plus lots of other stuff.

We still haven't 100% decided on where we are going! I've been pouring over maps, tourism websites and the like for days, trying to narrow it down!

That said, one option that I did think of was to fly to Heathrow and spend some time with OH's parents in Kent and have a quick trip to Toulouse (we have some good friends there who we would love to see), then drive up to Birmingham for a few days to see my family, and then drive up to Scotland from there, have a holiday and fly back from Glasgow to Sydney with Emirates. Or the other way round. It seems silly to be driving up to Scotland and then back down to Kent/London if we can avoid it. I have checked prices, and it isn't that much more expensive to do that (about $700 more I think) than fly in and out of Heathrow. With the car hire it would cost us 10GBP more to drop the car at Glasgow airport rather than in Maidstone. Has anyone ever done that?

I would like to ask for some holiday advice from the well-travelled or Scottish members of PIO.

OH, kids and I are flying back to the UK in September/October for a holiday. We are hoping that OH can get a month off work so that we can not only visit our family but also have a bit of a holiday whilst we are there. We will be using up OH's entire holiday allowance and as we weren't able to take a holiday last year there is quite a bit of pressure on me to organise things to run as smoothly as possible so that we can enjoy our time in the UK to the best effect.

We would like to spend about a week in Scotland as our holiday. OH's family live in Kent and mine are in Birmingham so we thought we could visit OH's family first for a week or so, drive up to Birmingham to see my family for a few days and then hot-foot it up to Scotland in one go, taking turns at the driving. The question is, what to do and where to go when we get there. I realise that it is quite a big place, but I wondered if anyone had any suggestions on 'must do' things or places that I might not have thought of. We are flexible on whether we stay in one place and take day trips from there, or stay at two to three different places but just explore closer to where we are staying. We like walking, history, peace and quiet.

Any suggestions would be very welcome!

We did a week a long time ago but we started in Edinburgh and finished in Glasgow. We did a loop up to Inverness, Fort William and then down via Oban to Loch Lomond and onwards to Glasgow. Other than the crappy weather it was one of the best holidays. Great scenery, great food (and whiskey) and very friendly people.

I would like to ask for some holiday advice from the well-travelled or Scottish members of PIO.

OH, kids and I are flying back to the UK in September/October for a holiday. We are hoping that OH can get a month off work so that we can not only visit our family but also have a bit of a holiday whilst we are there. We will be using up OH's entire holiday allowance and as we weren't able to take a holiday last year there is quite a bit of pressure on me to organise things to run as smoothly as possible so that we can enjoy our time in the UK to the best effect.

We would like to spend about a week in Scotland as our holiday. OH's family live in Kent and mine are in Birmingham so we thought we could visit OH's family first for a week or so, drive up to Birmingham to see my family for a few days and then hot-foot it up to Scotland in one go, taking turns at the driving. The question is, what to do and where to go when we get there. I realise that it is quite a big place, but I wondered if anyone had any suggestions on 'must do' things or places that I might not have thought of. We are flexible on whether we stay in one place and take day trips from there, or stay at two to three different places but just explore closer to where we are staying. We like walking, history, peace and quiet.

Any suggestions would be very welcome!

Scotland - the highlands ....road to the isles ....inverness.....loch ness ...eilean donan castle ( used in one of tbe bond movies and highlander ) ...loch shiel

But I would without question spend a bit more time around brum ...the inner city is a shithole ,but the city centre has improved,and you have so much within a 30 mile radius

Worcester ...worth a visit ...cathedral ( free ) .....great shops ,eateries

Stratford and Warwick and all the surrounding villages and countryside ...beautiful

And don't forget good old Solihull ...the best of the lot ......great access to London ,decent place to visit ...touchwood shopping centre is lovely .....plus we have all the big name shops within walking distance of touchwood .....decent morning out

Scotland - the highlands ....road to the isles ....inverness.....loch ness ...eilean donan castle ( used in one of tbe bond movies and highlander ) ...loch shiel

But I would without question spend a bit more time around brum ...the inner city is a shithole ,but the city centre has improved,and you have so much within a 30 mile radius

Stratford and Warwick and all the surrounding villages and countryside ...beautiful

And don't forget good old Solihull ...the best of the lot ......great access to London ,decent place to visit ...touchwood shopping centre is lovely .....plus we have all the big name shops within walking distance of touchwood .....decent morning out

I would seriously spend a day or two in Stratford /warwick ,you can then be in the cotswolds in an hour ......broadway ( Worcestershire ) one way ,or down to stow on the wold ,Moreton in the marsh and ultimately bourton on the water the other way ( through shipston on Stour )

You will be spoilt for choice

So much to see in the midlands

We'll probably spend five days around Birmingham. Last time we went we spent time around the Malverns, Worcestershire etc. This time I think we'll go to Warwick castle, spend two days visiting family and then we were thinking maybe Stratford. I used to live and work in Solihull, I worked at the Specsavers and lived just off Lode Lane. It is a nice little town. We'll probably visit London when we are in Kent.

I did a camping holiday to Fort William for a week which I really enjoyed! We went to the isle of Skye for a day trip which was nice also went and saw Ben Nevis.

I also have a friend in Stirling and whenever I visit she takes me places. One trip we went to a safari park which was not to far from Stirling, also Loch Lomond, Glasgow, Edinburgh and Pitlochry. All lovely places to visit :-) hopefully going back up in the summer to visit.

Have a a fabalous trip!

We still haven't 100% decided on where we are going! I've been pouring over maps, tourism websites and the like for days, trying to narrow it down!

That said, one option that I did think of was to fly to Heathrow and spend some time with OH's parents in Kent and have a quick trip to Toulouse (we have some good friends there who we would love to see), then drive up to Birmingham for a few days to see my family, and then drive up to Scotland from there, have a holiday and fly back from Glasgow to Sydney with Emirates. Or the other way round. It seems silly to be driving up to Scotland and then back down to Kent/London if we can avoid it. I have checked prices, and it isn't that much more expensive to do that (about $700 more I think) than fly in and out of Heathrow. With the car hire it would cost us 10GBP more to drop the car at Glasgow airport rather than in Maidstone. Has anyone ever done that?

Yes we have landed one aiport and flown from another it's not a problem

If you Tavel from the south up to Scotland maybe spend a day or two in the Lake District it's absolutely beautiful ,scenery history and accessible all in one go

We stayed just outside of Kendal last year for 5 days and it was so beautiful Accomadation was next to Carus Green golf course very reasonable and the acommadtion was spot on

Yes we have landed one aiport and flown from another it's not a problem

If you Tavel from the south up to Scotland maybe spend a day or two in the Lake District it's absolutely beautiful ,scenery history and accessible all in one go

We stayed just outside of Kendal last year for 5 days and it was so beautiful Accomadation was next to Carus Green golf course very reasonable and the acommadtion was spot on

We'd definitely consider the Lake District. My in-laws go there quite often, but I've never been. I think Beatrix Potters house is there somewhere. The kids are both fans, so maybe that and Lake Windermere.

We'd definitely consider the Lake District. My in-laws go there quite often, but I've never been. I think Beatrix Potters house is there somewhere. The kids are both fans, so maybe that and Lake Windermere.

Easily reached we did them all look up Carus Green townhouses they have smaller cottages too not cheap but spot on for Accomadation the town house was absolutely superb

We'll probably spend five days around Birmingham. Last time we went we spent time around the Malverns, Worcestershire etc. This time I think we'll go to Warwick castle, spend two days visiting family and then we were thinking maybe Stratford. I used to live and work in Solihull, I worked at the Specsavers and lived just off Lode Lane. It is a nice little town. We'll probably visit London when we are in Kent.

Worcester city centre ,and the cathedral is impressive considering its free ( burial place of king john ).

Just down the hill from the cathedral is cromwells armoury ,used during the civil war

Go down to the edge of the river Severn to the " quays " pub and restaurant ,very nice

Warwick castle is lovely ,and attached to Warwick is Leamington spa ,the town centre there is decent .

All the white buildings ....