You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Parley

Safe Schools Program likened to paedophile grooming

No - it was just available to any school which felt it might be useful. I know in Tasmania it is used by 16 government schools - out of a total of 283, so that's only 5 or 6%. I don't know how representative that figure is across Australia though.

Any reason it wasn't nationwide, would be interesting to know on what basis individual schools chose to include it, whereas others didn't.

Harpodom is it in every school in Victoria?

Think I'll move to Hobart.

I want it all, and I want it now.

Any reason it wasn't nationwide, would be interesting to know on what basis individual schools chose to include it, whereas others didn't.

It's just politics which is sad too.

Victoria is a Labor seat so Daniel Andrews wants to annoy the Federal Government, whereas Tasmania is a Liberal state.

I want it all, and I want it now.

Think I'll move to Hobart.

Wouldn't do that, parley. Lots of Labor/Green voters in Hobart...you might get leftie germs. :eek::wink:

It's just politics which is sad too.

Victoria is a Labor seat so Daniel Andrews wants to annoy the Federal Government, whereas Tasmania is a Liberal state.

The current state Liberal government is despised by government school teachers in this state. Good luck to the government if it tries to throw its weight around on this one.

It is really up to the schools how they use the program...they can use all the bits they like and call it something else if push comes to shove.

I only know the 16 in Tassie because it was reported in the local press - focusing on local interests, of course.

The program was originally devised at the request of teachers who were having problems with these issues. It may vary from school to school with differing demographics/ socio economic groups.

Some schools have their own programs - often it is the interest/enthusiasm/ experience of a particular teacher which determines whether they develop their own program of follow a pre-packaged one.

Funny, some websites are allowing MX now, for non gender specific.

There was a wonderful young man in the UK X Factor last year who describes himself as 'gender neutral'. He's an Australian guy called Sean Miley Moore and he is a fantastic singer. What's so great about him is that he is totally comfortable with who he is, his family fully support who he is and he gained a huge following over in the UK as there are many people who identify with him and/or just respect the person he is and admire his talent. Sean has said in an interview that he identifies with both the male and female characteristics of his genetics and therefore, he is gender neutral.

The schools programme is designed to recognise people like Sean as an equal and valued member of our communities instead of outcasting them as 'freaks' or 'weirdos' or any other derogatory word in order to exclude them from society.

I always find it rather funny how people judge other people. It seems we want to instantly know by appearance what someone is so that we somehow feel 'safe' being amongst them. However, when we first look at an animal we see that animal. We don't always know if it's male or female, we don't judge it on the colour of it's fur, if it looks aggressive then we spend time trying to make it friendly, if it's timid we spend time trying to get it to come to us... If only we could apply the same approach to other humans the world would be nicer.

Don't Let It Happen To You : What Every Mother Should Know Before Emigrating. Available on Amazon by Rachel Tilley.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dont-Let-Happen-You-Emigrating-ebook/dp/B00FV80PTM/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1451572986&sr=1-1&keywords=rachel+tilley

There was a wonderful young man in the UK X Factor last year who describes himself as 'gender neutral'. He's an Australian guy called Sean Miley Moore and he is a fantastic singer. What's so great about him is that he is totally comfortable with who he is, his family fully support who he is and he gained a huge following over in the UK as there are many people who identify with him and/or just respect the person he is and admire his talent. Sean has said in an interview that he identifies with both the male and female characteristics of his genetics and therefore, he is gender neutral.

The schools programme is designed to recognise people like Sean as an equal and valued member of our communities instead of outcasting them as 'freaks' or 'weirdos' or any other derogatory word in order to exclude them from society.

I always find it rather funny how people judge other people. It seems we want to instantly know by appearance what someone is so that we somehow feel 'safe' being amongst them. However, when we first look at an animal we see that animal. We don't always know if it's male or female, we don't judge it on the colour of it's fur, if it looks aggressive then we spend time trying to make it friendly, if it's timid we spend time trying to get it to come to us... If only we could apply the same approach to other humans the world would be nicer.

It's probably not a bad idea from a data protection point of view, but they would have to accept initials for first names.