Australian housing bubble

JockinTas

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Enough affordable houses.

any houses really. Every new house adds to the supply and lowers demand driven rises. You could build mansions and it would help. You don't need to build hovels. In fact, building houses no one really wants to live in probably doesn't help. Make it a tax advantage to increase the housing stock. Only allow neg gearing on new builds.

I'll be honest, we will limit our borrowing to what we think we can afford (far less than online calculators say!), and overpay as much as possible. Make hay while the sun shines. I never think of retirement, I had a massive health scare in my early 20s and feel lucky to have reached 40s and be in pretty good health. However am looking forward to early access to long service leave, we get 70% after 7 years, woo hoo!

Be careful when doing that! others have done it and became the 'Haves' and in some circles of thought this is not good!

If I could buy a car at £100 a month, but someone offered to buy it for me, and rent it to be for £80 a month, why is that bad for me?

Nothing wrong with it if all you can afford is $80 but not a prudent move. If you intend to keep the car for say 5 years, initial car cost say $3000, after 30 months it is paid off and is yours along with any value left in it, 60 months at $80 you would have paid $1800 more than the car was worth and end up with no car. But this is where we rely on the Money Lenders so to speak and like all business's are out to make money.

It is all a question of playing with figures and the above example will change if the numbers change. However the above shows how much better one could be if some sacrifices could be made early on so you can pay that $100 a month........................and that is what some people do and some people do not.

Pretty serious matter I'd have thought. I mean the loss of The Great Australian Dream, and slide into inequality and generally lower living standards is something that should be shouted from the roof tops.

flag, even the 'Carry on' films would be serious to you. All around where I live and on the other side of town where I work (building sub-divisions) there are masses of houses going up and it is young families I see that are buying and moving in, not saying there are no investors but the majority are home buyers. The dream is alive and kicking.

Long service leave is a great asset for those working in Australia. I do wonder how long it will be maintained. Good policy going under what on line calculators tell you. Remember a house is never yours until the bank loan has been paid. Come unemployment/illness/divorce it is very easy to lose everything.

Full of life's joys aren't we flag! just how sad can one get? you cover every silver lining with a bigger cloud.

Edited by Keith and Linda

If I could buy a car at £100 a month, but someone offered to buy it for me, and rent it to be for £80 a month, why is that bad for me?

Not so good if, by year 3, the rent had risen to £100 a month lol.

Renting houses though can suit a lot of people. If your job is mobile and you expect to have to move frequently then renting makes perfect sense.

If you have a family and plan to put down roots in a community then buying is normally best even if that means the house you can afford to buy has a lower spec than the house you could afford to rent. You should be prepared to look at a house that you can improve and adapt to your own needs over time and when finances allow. That saves the considerable cost of moving and keeps you and the family stable in the community.

Over the course of 10 years then you would normally expect your mortgage costs to have fallen in real terms whilst renters would not normally expect the same benefit.

But the real benefit to buying is very long term. I first bought (a flat) in 1989 and, despite increasing my mortgage, first when I divorced and then when I moved to a house and started a family with my 2nd wife, I made overpayments with the aim that the morgage would be paid off 25 years from the initial date of starting (at the very least) it which was achieved. In that time the value of my home has fallen and risen but for the most part that was not that relevant to me because it was home and not an investment.

It has enabled us to live in a house now that would cost $700 a week ($35,000) a year to rent but mortgage free. Yes, we do have some costs of course that would otherwise be borne by a landlord but these are a fraction of the potential rent. The fact that it has capital value is probably only relevant to our daughter really as we will not intend to realise that capital as we hope that we will always need a home.

I don't class you as anything. I just don't think the market and time you invested had anything to do with anything than the possible good fortune you participated. It could have gone the other way, easily without government and RBA intervention and you'd be drumming to a very different tune.

What is shockingly bad is nothing your little contribution made but the overall disaster that has become Australian housing, not to say the impact on Australian life, family, present and future. Not to say the obsessiveness around the matter as like I say impact on the casualness on life in general.

So where did I provide the info on when I bought my first home? and my first investment property? or my last investment? which by the way was/is not really an investment property as it is to be where we want to live for our lead up to and retirement was/is intended to be very short term so any tax advantage from NG would be minimum.

I now pay tax on my 1st bought investment property, the tax I will pay over the term of expected ownership will be far greater than any received from you, sorry I mean the tax man, and there will be more tax to pay on the sale of the property.

Flag you offer no help to anyone, when good luck or good news story's are offered up you doom and gloom them down, no congratulations or encouragement ever given by you. The only bright note you have offered recently is a self centered boast of taking holidays now and an upcoming 4 month holiday, to be able to do that we can only assume that you are a 'closet have!'

Well actually there are tax breaks in place through a company to purchase a car. But hardly in any sense similar to the buy to let housing scandal that actually prevents First Home Buyers from entering the market due to increasing prices all round. Not always a case of offering you the land lord a rent, but a case of having to due to being excluded from the market. I see a lot wrong with that. Especially those with multiple dwellings, parasitic behaviour.

So where did I provide the info on when I bought my first home? and my first investment property? or my last investment? which by the way was/is not really an investment property as it is to be where we want to live for our lead up to and retirement was/is intended to be very short term so any tax advantage from NG would be minimum.

I now pay tax on my 1st bought investment property, the tax I will pay over the term of expected ownership will be far greater than any received from you, sorry I mean the tax man, and there will be more tax to pay on the sale of the property.

Flag you offer no help to anyone, when good luck or good news story's are offered up you doom and gloom them down, no congratulations or encouragement ever given by you. The only bright note you have offered recently is a self centered boast of taking holidays now and an upcoming 4 month holiday, to be able to do that we can only assume that you are a 'closet have!'

I find you a little too self centred if I'm honest and gloating over your perceived good fortune. You are of course entirely free to do so and point out how 'rich' you consider yourself to be, even if it points to bad taste and a very egoistic personality. (such a post did appear the other day) AS for holidays, that was in answer as well you know your boast of taking loads of holidays at some future date and me pointing out the futility of waiting. Very disingenuous on your part to assume anything other than I prefer holidays than paying off over prices piles of brick and mortar and lavish in negative gearing and others paying my losses for me.

Now as for negative news, I'll leave the sugar coated, fairy tales and chocolate offerings with soft centres to you to dish up, as I prefer the reality and to point out the disturbing features that have embraced this country over recent times which has resulted/resulting in declining living standards as housing becomes unobtainable.

flag, even the 'Carry on' films would be serious to you. All around where I live and on the other side of town where I work (building sub-divisions) there are masses of houses going up and it is young families I see that are buying and moving in, not saying there are no investors but the majority are home buyers. The dream is alive and kicking.

Actually it is far from alive. Cheap money is responsible for the builds. Do you really think that is going to last in QLD?A state where as WA has experienced rapid decline in migration numbers . Of course the party can be extended. Already clearly stated. Besides that the majority of new buyers are investors nation wide with First Home buyers at near record lows. Don't let the truth get in the way of presumptions though or an inability to have insight into the matter on a more intellectual and/or critical approach.

Actually it is far from alive. Cheap money is responsible for the builds. Do you really think that is going to last in QLD?A state where as WA has experienced rapid decline in migration numbers . Of course the party can be extended. Already clearly stated. Besides that the majority of new buyers are investors nation wide with First Home buyers at near record lows. Don't let the truth get in the way of presumptions though or an inability to have insight into the matter on a more intellectual and/or critical approach.

Jan 2016 value of dwelling commitments...... owner occupied $M 21,268............ investor 11,185 from the bureau of statistics, however we know you do not trust statistics preferring to make up your own.

Please let us all know when you have some truthful facts and not broad spread assumptions.

I find you a little too self centred if I'm honest and gloating over your perceived good fortune. You are of course entirely free to do so and point out how 'rich' you consider yourself to be, even if it points to bad taste and a very egoistic personality. (such a post did appear the other day) AS for holidays, that was in answer as well you know your boast of taking loads of holidays at some future date and me pointing out the futility of waiting. Very disingenuous on your part to assume anything other than I prefer holidays than paying off over prices piles of brick and mortar and lavish in negative gearing and others paying my losses for me.

Now as for negative news, I'll leave the sugar coated, fairy tales and chocolate offerings with soft centres to you to dish up, as I prefer the reality and to point out the disturbing features that have embraced this country over recent times which has resulted/resulting in declining living standards as housing becomes unobtainable.

Ok next time I will offer up someone else's similar experiences and gloat on their behalf shall I. I am not the only one whom has an investment property and/or a super fund and/or some savings, a prudent and diverse portfolio, and pay tax, but what I do is offer up my experience not in an attempt to gloat but in the hope it will help others and an obviously in a failed attempt to point out to you that your assumptions about people and their investments are flawed. Many have told you of sacrifices they have made to better their own and that of their families lives and you fail to accept this and keep running them down.

I note you are still not telling us all as to how you can afford a 4 month holiday! or do you not want to gloat?

I have been speaking with a few major builders down in sydney recently , they have full order books with signed up contracts that will take them through the next 18 months, it will be interesting to see what happens in another 12 months.

While some areas wil no doubt be affected others will continue to grow nothing new in that, we have seen that happen in the uk with London ,plenty of work there but other areas in decline.

I would be very suprised if the sydney market crashed like the London market did in the early 90's when this happened it did remain tight for about 18 months and when it did bounce boy did it, my brother owned property on the docklands and it went into negative equity for that period of time then he went from being roughly lossing 30k in value to being 120K in profit.

I feel that the sydney market may have a small correction but not on the scale some on here would like or quote, some areas have slowed but others have continued to grow, freinds just sold their 2 bed unit in city for a record sum for their floor over 1.7 million to a chinese investment company with 9 groups of people fighting for it.

Jan 2016 value of dwelling commitments...... owner occupied $M 21,268............ investor 11,185 from the bureau of statistics, however we know you do not trust statistics preferring to make up your own.

Please let us all know when you have some truthful facts and not broad spread assumptions.

First time home buyers lowest on record in modern times. How much more do you need top know? Truthful facts easy enough to ascertain.

I have been speaking with a few major builders down in sydney recently , they have full order books with signed up contracts that will take them through the next 18 months, it will be interesting to see what happens in another 12 months.

While some areas wil no doubt be affected others will continue to grow nothing new in that, we have seen that happen in the uk with London ,plenty of work there but other areas in decline.

I would be very suprised if the sydney market crashed like the London market did in the early 90's when this happened it did remain tight for about 18 months and when it did bounce boy did it, my brother owned property on the docklands and it went into negative equity for that period of time then he went from being roughly lossing 30k in value to being 120K in profit.

I feel that the sydney market may have a small correction but not on the scale some on here would like or quote, some areas have slowed but others have continued to grow, freinds just sold their 2 bed unit in city for a record sum for their floor over 1.7 million to a chinese investment company with 9 groups of people fighting for it.

Sydney market is over ripe for a massive correction. The forces that be of course may not allow it to happen or defer the inevitable. The selling of national assets to overseas buyers, be that in London or Sydney is nothing short of a scandal and should be a top platform in political manifesto. Sydney is a city where the majority of Sydneysiders cannot afford to buy into. Much of Australia is not far behind.

But like I say, what could go wrong?