You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Mazza227

Question re asking price

We went to look at a house that had an open today. As we haven't been here very long, not too sure on the rules etc, but they had a price range for the house. Does this mean that you have to offer the minimum they say or can you offer less? We basically asked the agent and she told us that no they would not accept under that price and to be honest I wouldn't even bother to write it up. Now I thought that any offer that was made even if silly offer,(not that we would make a silly offer!) they had to put to the owner, or am I wrong?

Any advise would be great please :wink:

Applying for 189 visa. IELTS (L:9.0 R:8.5 W:8.0 S:8.5 Overall:8.5):23/01/15

TRA sent:16/02/15 Positive skills assessment:11/06/15 EOI:12/06/15 Invite:03/08/15 Visa lodged:04/08/15 Grant:​22/09/15

Flights booked to Adelaide 12th Jan 2016

It really depends on the vendors instructions to the agent. You can make any offer you like but the vendor may have instructed the agent not to present offers under a set figure. I know we have done this when selling.

Just a thought - if you aren't familiar with the market have you considered using a buyers agent. Yes it will cost you money you probably don't want to spend but it could save you from buying into a bad area or from paying more than a property is really worth.

Rules do vary from state to state,but if they've stated a range then the bottom figure quoted is definitely the very lowest they'll even consider.

Australian real estate agents play silly games, they promise the seller a ridiculous price to get the business, then persuade them to offer it at a lower figure "to tempt buyers in". The theory is that once you've got buyers interested, they can be persuaded to increase their price. It always amazes me that sellers fall for that tactic because it never works.

Chances are what the seller really wants is the price at the top of the range. If the property hasn't been on the market long, it's likely they'll hold out for that price. The longer the property is on the market, the more likely they are to accept a lower offer.

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

We always put an offer in at the lower end of the price range. Depends how long the property has been on the market.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away :smile: