Who's returned home the quickest!

chilliboy

Some people make a quick assessment on their situation and get out while they can at any cost if it isn't ticking the boxes for them.

We put most of our cash into a house in South Perth quite quickly after arriving as we had already gone and sold off our ex-council house in UK before we left, so there was absolutely no option for us to return home or we just may have done it too. Even if we wanted to sell up was very hard to shift property in those days.

We did a similar thing when we moved to live in Luxembourg in the eighties and sold our house in Brum before we left. Shock, horror, property in Luxembourg was at London price levels ... and then the property market in the UK moved into a boom cycle the minute we had got on the ferry. Within a year our old house was worth double what we had sold it for, so although our income had risen, we couldn't afford to move back. We had to stick it out and n the end we stayed fifteen years and made a lovely life there.

Sometimes its better if you can't get out of the situation too quickly - I had a row with my immediate boss on the third day in my new job, and I was so upset I'm sure we'd have been straight back on the ferry if our house had been waiting for us in the UK.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think johngdownunder comes across as bitter at all, he's posting from his own perspective and experiences.

Sometimes I read comments on posts that I interpret as reading "if you didn't settle in Oz or couldn't hack it in some way then you're a failure" or "you couldn't settle in Oz? There must be something wrong with you."

Once you know the move isn't for you then it's no good (IMO) to drag it out and give it more time. Life is short, why live somewhere that you're not happy and you know you're not going to be happy? Why stay for a few more years just because it cost you a lot of money to get out there? Cut your losses and move on to what makes you happier.

Some people may think I'm a failure for only lasting 19 weeks but I don't. I gave it a go out there - against the odds - and yes I failed at making a successful life in Australia, but I don't think I'm a failure. I have come home and re-built my life, re-gained my career and as a single parent I'm now better off than I was in many ways before I went to Australia. I can provide a stable home for my son - something I could not have done in Oz. The move cost me thousands, getting home cost me more, but that was all irrelevant compared to my mental health.

Indeed, money cannot buy health you are so right. You did the right thing for you both, and at least you gave it a shot and are no doubt a much better person for it.

If you don't like a place then you simply don't like it, you don't need to put up with anything if you feel unhappy and are able get out.

Happiness and health are everything.

I know how happy we felt in the taxi going out to the airport on the day we left, and all the way back home too.

Fair play to you! I soppose if you just know straight away there is simply no point in prolonging the pain. I would be interested to hear what it was that just made you realise it was wrong, you say you didn't take emigration lightly and I'm sure you didn't so is there anything you think you could have done before the move that would have indicated it wasn't right for you? There are so many people who feel the way to do and go back, some would argue you haven't given it a real shot, but for me personally if you realised so quickly then nothing was going to change that! An expensive learning curvebut at least when you return you won't have to wonder 'what if...' !!

The problem that lead to our quick return was poor communication, i have been to Australia a few times and shall we say it was never for me, my wife is Australian and we have lived in the UK for over 10 yrs.I pushed the move to Oz because she had family problems with loss in Oz and i felt she always wanted to go home.She told me she was happy to stay in the Uk and i persisted with the move because i thought she was just saying that.I also had a bad dose of the grass is always greener!When we arrived she said Oz wasnt home anymore and she didnt want it to be - i told her that i never really enjoyed Oz and only came out here because i thought she always wanted to come home.This has been a monumental case of poor communication!! Im sure we may have stayed a little longer if we hadnt had so many problems!! i.e the only place we could find accommodation is effectively in the middle of a building site and on a main road,the heat,it took forever to get our kids medical notes loaded onto the gov system and they nearly lost their daycare places,the job i was offered whilst in the Uk decided to offer me $11 an hour less than agreed - this is a big reason for quick turn around,isolation,terrible tv,i miss my sport too much!,my wife thinks her profession has gone backwards here in Oz, i cannot work in the area i can in the uk or have the opportunities there,we both miss british type houses,we dreamed of an open plan house but feel it is totally impractical and lacks character.We come from a great part of Hampshire and miss the character of the villages,countryside,river walks etc. Dont get me wrong i can see why Oz is so good for so many but it is not for us,as a result the problem lies with us and not Oz.Travelling to the other side of the world to realise how good things were at home has been a learning experience to say the least.

miss the character of the villages,countryside,river walks etc. Dont get me wrong i can see why Oz is so good for so many but it is not for us,as a result the problem lies with us and not Oz.Travelling to the other side of the world to realise how good things were at home has been a learning experience to say the least.

snap!

I don't think johngdownunder comes across as bitter at all, he's posting from his own perspective and experiences. I notice he's a new member with a few posts under his belt which are not particularly 'pro Australia' or about 'successful relocations' and some people object to such comments. As for joining this forum 8 years after returning home? Well, perhaps he feels he has something valuable to offer regarding his experiences that he wants to share.

When I first joined this forum it was after six years of returning home. I came across it one day by chance and felt that I too had something valuable to share of my experiences in Australia but was immediately met with some unwelcoming comments, hostility and had some of my posts removed. I even got banned for 3 months! However, I persisted and hope that my posts have helped some people along their journey.

Sometimes I read comments on posts that I interpret as reading "if you didn't settle in Oz or couldn't hack it in some way then you're a failure" or "you couldn't settle in Oz? There must be something wrong with you." Then there are the posts that recommend you should "at least give it two years", and for those that do, there are the posts that say "if you came here with that intention then you were never fully committed as you had a get out option". I read one post the other day that said "some people should be banned from emigrating for their own welfare" and I did wonder if that was aimed at me!? (Shame a ban wasn't in place when I applied to go, lol)

For those that move over to Oz and settle then I think that's great. I'm not one of those that don't believe there are some truly happy migrants, indeed I met some families who were very happy out there, but I do know there are many that think a house in the sunshine with a pool and near a beach is the ultimate fantasy and if they have that then their life is complete as they have 'made it'. When I was younger I used to think that my signs of having 'made it' would be to have a house with an en-suite bathroom! If that's anything to go by then I still haven't 'made it' as I live in a 3 bed semi with one bathroom and toilet - I haven't even got two toilets :(

Once you know the move isn't for you then it's no good (IMO) to drag it out and give it more time. Life is short, why live somewhere that you're not happy and you know you're not going to be happy? Why stay for a few more years just because it cost you a lot of money to get out there? Cut your losses and move on to what makes you happier.

Some people may think I'm a failure for only lasting 19 weeks but I don't. I gave it a go out there - against the odds - and yes I failed at making a successful life in Australia, but I don't think I'm a failure. I have come home and re-built my life, re-gained my career and as a single parent I'm now better off than I was in many ways before I went to Australia. I can provide a stable home for my son - something I could not have done in Oz. The move cost me thousands, getting home cost me more, but that was all irrelevant compared to my mental health.

I agree, the move has cost us a lot both financially and emotionally, only lasting for 19 weeks is not being a failure.You had the balls to try and have realised it wasn't for you,you won't have any "what ifs" now regarding the Oz question.

I agree, the move has cost us a lot both financially and emotionally, only lasting for 19 weeks is not being a failure.You had the balls to try and have realised it wasn't for you,you won't have any "what ifs" now regarding the Oz question.

i think it was more the people who turned back on their way out of the airport people were shocked by.

The problem that lead to our quick return was poor communication, i have been to Australia a few times and shall we say it was never for me, my wife is Australian and we have lived in the UK for over 10 yrs.I pushed the move to Oz because she had family problems with loss in Oz and i felt she always wanted to go home.She told me she was happy to stay in the Uk and i persisted with the move because i thought she was just saying that....When we arrived she said Oz wasnt home anymore and she didnt want it to be - i told her that i never really enjoyed Oz and only came out here because i thought she always wanted to come home.

Aaaaargh! I had to laugh, you sound so much like my oh and me. The number of times we've had that kind of conversation. He says, "but I did it because that's what I thought you wanted!", Me - "I told you I didn't want that!", Him - "But I thought you didn't mean it". Luckily, he hasn't done it for any decisions as big as that, thankfully!

I had a sort of "gut" feeling even after a short while.

We had seen mostly everything Perth had to offer within the first few weeks of getting there and quickly realised that that we'd moved to the biggest retirement village on the planet. !!

So glad to be back home now, and feeling "alive" again.

We had seen mostly everything Perth had to offer within the first few weeks of getting there and quickly realised that that we'd moved to the biggest retirement village on the planet. !!

I'm sure if an Australian had moved to Southampton and then started saying "England is full of bogans", "Britain is a dump" etc, you'd be quick to point out that you can't judge a whole country by one city - different parts of the country can be strikingly different.

I'm from Sydney and I wouldn't want to live in Perth either, it's not for me. But I do know people who love Perth and would hate to live in Sydney.

There's a 'should I move to Australia' quiz doing the rounds on FB and a lot of my MBTTUK friends have been doing it just for a laugh including my OH - his result came back as 'Wait a while you're not ready for it yet' and he commented about ready for what exactly since (in his opinion) Australia was behind the UK in many ways - my comment back was he was not ready for retirement :)

But I do agree with Marisa's comment that you can't judge a country by one city - in fact one of his friends, a sandgroper born and bred commented that Melbourne would have suited us better (he is currently living there, having left Perth whilst we lived there for LA) and he is probably right but we didn't want to take the chance with our son's education. He also commented that Perth is getting better and I think that is probably true too.

We are doing probably one of the quickest moves. While we had decided a couple of months ago to leave, we hadn't done much about it. Then, Tuesday night, I learned I had a job in the UK and need to be back ASAP. So, we have to get everything packed, the house sold, a lot of our stuff sold and me on a plane by next Saturday.

We are doing probably one of the quickest moves. While we had decided a couple of months ago to leave, we hadn't done much about it. Then, Tuesday night, I learned I had a job in the UK and need to be back ASAP. So, we have to get everything packed, the house sold, a lot of our stuff sold and me on a plane by next Saturday.

Wow! Stressful and exciting I suppose, at least you're going where you want to be so I imagine you will be pretty focused. Although we planned our move to Oz in detail there was always going to be last minute things to complete like selling cars,stopping insurance,utilities etc,etc but we managed it all within a few days. We plan to return to the UK in early July but if a job comes up that suits we may also need to leave at the drop of a hat.Good luck.

Good luck with everything Stormy!

Congrats, so glad you got the job - even if it does mean living in the South ;)

Good decision - grab the opportunity and go. Good luck.

The pound has taken a hit because of the increasing possibility of UK leaving the EU. Might be a good time to change those dollars.

Always thought Perth airport was quite nice to arrive at, as it Gatwick. I have come into Heathrow several times though and found it depressing and wanted to leave.

Come through Gatwick yesterday nj ......no thanks .

Just too many people trying to arrive in the u.k .

The airport was never built for it .

Bit of a difference going the other way into Las Vegas ...4 levels of security .....both hands finger printed ,that's everyone .

I don't mind it .

Yesterday was organised chaos at Gatwick ......2 people tried to get through without passports ,just I.d cards .

Too many people ...not enough staff .....a bloody poor introduction to the u.k

Right now with a somewhat "fragile" global situation, a fast shrinking Australian economy and strong possibility of a big global stock market downturn. I would wait for the panic & fear to set in on the housing market over the next few years first.

Pure unfounded speculation and paranoia. The news has always been full of fear and terror. Just because you failed doesn't mean the rest of us aren't doing very well out here. I love my surfy beach lifestyle thank you.

Pure unfounded speculation and paranoia. The news has always been full of fear and terror. Just because you failed doesn't mean the rest of us aren't doing very well out here. I love my surfy beach lifestyle thank you.

Failed, really ? How did you work that one out Einstein ?

Pure unfounded speculation and paranoia. The news has always been full of fear and terror..

So the Chinese Stock Exchange plummeting and the recent sacking of their chief financial market regulator, along with the rest of the Asian markets dropping like rocks, is something that we just made up and will have no effect on Australia ?

And the fact plane loads of UK migrants are selling up and are bailing out is pure fiction too ? Or have the newspapers just made that up also ?

Also, you claim to be "doing fine and happy" but you're lurking around a forum where people are discussing moving back to the UK.

I am glad you love it down there but you shouldn't you be over on the "We're new and will be heading out soon and we're so excited" forum ?

Not on a "Moving back to UK" forum, venting frustration and sniping at those who feel Australia wasn't/isn't for them.

Like I say, when the "seed is planted" its usually a one way ticket out sooner or later.

I am guessing that because you are hanging out on this particular forum, that there's something niggling at you deep down too.