Home tutor Perth NOR

mel25

Morning all, hoping someone could give me a little bit of advice? We moved to Perth end of January this year and have a son who is in year 6. In the UK he was working above grades (takes after his dad there I think lol) and since starting school he has been finding it extremely easy to the point he is getting bored. His teacher is having to sit down with another teacher to put a plan together for him. Does anyone know where we can either get access to some work which we can do with him outside of school or know of a home tutor who may be helpful to us? Would just like to add we are definitely not pushy parents! We just want to see him challenged how he was in the uk to help him reach his full potential. We won't be making him sit down each night after school to keep working! :tongue:

Any help will be appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The Pom Queen

Hi @mel25 if you have a chat with the school they should be able to put you in touch with a good tutor, either that or contact the university who also have a list of tutors.

Hi there Mel

You will find that he will have already done quite a bit of the work already laid out for year 6 in the uk and plus... It is a shame that you didn't put this up sooner as l would have said you could try him out for the Gifted and Talented that they have for high school l think you missed the dead line but have a look at http://www.det.wa.edu.au/curriculumsupport/giftedandtalented/detcms/portal/ We have a son that was in the same boat but made it in the gifted and talented classes in Duncraig... really glad we did he now completed yr12 last year and just started uni. Good luck. Ps Duncraig has gifted and talented and a school based academic extension class which are the same but one is government and the other run by the school but on the same par.

Morning all, hoping someone could give me a little bit of advice? We moved to Perth end of January this year and have a son who is in year 6. In the UK he was working above grades (takes after his dad there I think lol) and since starting school he has been finding it extremely easy to the point he is getting bored. His teacher is having to sit down with another teacher to put a plan together for him. Does anyone know where we can either get access to some work which we can do with him outside of school or know of a home tutor who may be helpful to us? Would just like to add we are definitely not pushy parents! We just want to see him challenged how he was in the uk to help him reach his full potential. We won't be making him sit down each night after school to keep working! :tongue:

Surely having extra tutoring outside of school is going to exacerbate the situation in school, ie. make him more bored. I agree with the comment elsewhere, wait till high school and his needs will be far better catered for if he is capable of extension. Hopefully you have thought carefully about where you will be sending him to HS.

I don't think you need a tutor - does his school do Mathletics? There should be plenty there to challenge him, if not then consider signing him up.

Reading is one of the most important indicators of long term academic success - his school should be able to provide a reading list or google. It can be challenging to find suitable books for academically able boys of that age as the subject matter of 'young adult' books may not be to your liking. My son is year 8 age and currently on the Cherub series.

My sons school doesn't set homework rather they get a booklet of optional challenges at the start of the year and the kind of things in there would be ideal - doesn't feel like work at all e.g Design a container to protect an egg when you drop it from 1m, plan and cook a 3

course meal, participate in an event and improve your performance, learn a musical instrument (another really important factor in long term achievement), another that involved photographing trees - they literally have 100s to choose from.

There are things like Kumon if you really do want tutoring but I really don't see how that will help, I'd aim for stretching his breadth of knowledge at the level he is at.

If you are stuck for ideas google home schooling.