experiences of shipping tents and camping equipment

DeniDeni

We are trying to decide what to do with out camping equipment and tents. I know we can't take any gas items and any items we do take must be clean of any soil.

If we do follow these precautions are we still likely to encounter any problems with customs? We've heard of people having to pay to have things like camping equipment professionally cleaned/ treated before being released.

• Like 1

Guest The Pom Queen
That's good then! However I don't fancy being the one to get the tent out to check and then put it away again! It's huge and a pain! I grumble at having to do it at the beginning and end of camping!

Lol I know the feeling well. We bought one of those that pops up in seconds, what they didn't tell us is that it takes 8 hours to fathom out how to put it back in the bag :Laugh:

I washed our full height three man Outwell in Milton, in the bath of a third floor apartment.

I managed to get water over every wall, as well as flooded the floor and splashes on the ceiling.

It took a couple of hours and the oh had to plug under the bathroom door with towels to stop me flooding the hall as well.

We chucked the rusty pegs and noted this and the cleaning on the customs paperwork.

No problems with customs, and we replaced the pegs for 50c each from Aussie disposals

I just shook out the dust and muck from the insides and bottom of my wee camping tents. Brushed any muck off pegs. Washed my camping pots (cos, you know, there's always one mucky one that you forget about until you need it!). Shook the dust out of my rolled-up mats. Polished my hiking boots cos they always need it. Threw out that mouldy tangerine that lives at the bottom of my rucksack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We brought all our camp equipment with no issue. Although we have since bought a tent in Aus... Our Scottish tent had limited ventilation... One summer camping trip here in QLD where we felt like we were stewing alive overnight was all it took to make the decision to buy an Aus tent with lots of ventilation.