You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Metoo

What just bit me ?

Hi, can anybody tell me what these are please?

I was cutting the hedge back from the drive and they swarmed at me (didn't notice the nest) anyway it bloody hurt. Feels like wasp stings, both arms

Well that just put me off gardening :confused: Thanks

IMG_3607.jpg

IMG_3606.jpg

IMG_3606.jpg

IMG_3607.jpg

Flights booked for Sydney 29/09/2015 :cool:

Poor you! I'm on my phone and my eyes are old, but they look like flying ants to me.

Looks like some sort of native wasp.

Jeremy Corbyn on the EU  " A European bureaucracy totally unaccountable to anybody"

Do they look like this...

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by caramac

........perhaps paper wasps.....?

.........looking at the nest...!

Edited by Tink

........perhaps paper wasps.....?

.........looking at the nest...!

I was thinking paper wasps as well.

Do they look like this...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32762[/ATTACH]

Yes that could be it, ugly things. Are they paper wasps then?

They look like some type of paper wasp. They are usually fine if left alone. We have a small nest out to the side and we know it's there so just give them space. No issues so far. It's when you disturb them they get cross.

I just googled paper wasp, no i don't think its them. These ones were just black on the body whereas the paper wasp has yellow stripes. its more like

Caramacs picture

The pic is a flying ant. We used to get them in Sydney (and here), but never bitten.

Edited by caramac

We have had a plague of flying ants and termites up here. Thankfully it seems to have settled down now.

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

I've just encountered a huuuuuge beetle on the way to the shower. Why does Australia have so much weird and scary looking stuff

I've just encountered a huuuuuge beetle on the way to the shower. Why does Australia have so much weird and scary looking stuff

There are more weird and scared backpackers floating around australia than weird and scary animals.

ETA - Although there are a few animals in the tropics that are very good at making their unwelcome way into closed tents at night...........

Edited by dmjg

If that beetle turns up in my tent then I'm back on a plane to Glasgow. So far all I've had to put up with is lots of ants, Mosquitos and flies that bite

Nope. You're right, the photo on my phone was too small to see the nest, but I can see it on a full sized screen (my dodgy old eyes :laugh:). Definitely look more like the things in Bobj's picture. Horrible things!

Thanks guys, yes I think bob is right. The sting felt just like a wasp sting and the picture looks just like them.

After washing both both arms I covered my bites in Eurax and took an antihistamine just in case.

By the time we had had our dinner things had calmed down so we settled down on the sofa to watch a movie. I felt Mr Metoo tickling my bear shoulder. After scolding him "cos it's not funny" we both leapt off the couch. A big cockroach was actually CRAWLING ON MY SHOULDER!!!!!!! Jesus wept. He managed to get it out the patio door.

Is is it just me that's unlucky or does this happen to everyone.

Mr Metoo thinks I make a fuss about nothing and that I just have to get used to living in a country with bugs.

You do calm down about bugs, well I certainly have. We get the house sprayed once a year and have Mortein Bombs and Mortein automated sprays so we don't get anything actually inside the house now. I've had a cockroach run up my leg in our pool pump room and I just shook it off, a few years ago I'd have screamed. It's only snakes I'm scared of now :laugh:

You do calm down about bugs, well I certainly have. We get the house sprayed once a year and have Mortein Bombs and Mortein automated sprays so we don't get anything actually inside the house now. I've had a cockroach run up my leg in our pool pump room and I just shook it off, a few years ago I'd have screamed. It's only snakes I'm scared of now :laugh:

I've never minded bugs, spiders or anything creepy crawly until we discovered that the cockroaches fly!!! I can't remember what time of year they start, but hearing one start up as soon as you've hopped into bed is very disconcerting. They seem to dive bomb your face in the dark and they're so bloody loud!

They have no sense of direction either, so crash their horrible armoured bodies into anything in their path - walls, doors, mirrors, faces.... Revolting things.

Never seen a cockroach since moving to Tassie.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away :smile:

One thing I hate its cockroaches. Don't get them that often but I swear they are getting bigger.

Never seen a cockroach since moving to Tassie.

Really? When we come back to Australia I'm definitely moving to Tassie then. :)

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

I've never minded bugs, spiders or anything creepy crawly until we discovered that the cockroaches fly!!! I can't remember what time of year they start, but hearing one start up as soon as you've hopped into bed is very disconcerting. They seem to dive bomb your face in the dark and they're so bloody loud!

They have no sense of direction either, so crash their horrible armoured bodies into anything in their path - walls, doors, mirrors, faces.... Revolting things.

Thankfully I've never seen a flying one. Eurgghh.