Can my baby get British citizenship?

eleanoralice1

I applied for their passports last year online. I think many years ago british citizenship could only be passed down through the britsh fathers not british mothers. However that has all changed now. If you are a british citizen then your child will automatically be a british citizen. I think I just had to send my british passport and birth certificate along with my childrens application. To be quite honest I do think it was a waste of money as I got them their british passport as we went back to the UK for a holiday and thought it would just be quicker to go through customs. However as my kids were dual Australian/british Nationals, they had to have an australian passport to enter and leave Australia. But they arrived in the Uk on their British passport. So it is quite expensive to have two passports. If your child has Bristish citizenship through hereditary, they can't then pass on British Citizenship to their children. Also British passport doesn't automatically entitle them to NHS, only urgent and necessary treatment, you have to prove residency in the Uk for treatment. That doesn't worry me as I pay taxes in Australia not UK. The babies father needs to sign the application form.

it was really easy online, when you apply online you submit it and then it prints out a page that you need to get a British citizen to sign the photographs. You then send that form and birth certificates etc to the UK. It didn't take long at all only about 3 weeks. Can't remember how much I think it was about $100, but you have to send it all recorde delivery. Also when you get passport pictures done you do need to state that it is for a british passport, the sizing was slightly different to australian pictures, (so Australia post told me).

So I don't need to apply to get him citizenship? He has it automatically!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. So long as you meet the requirements. Which most people usually do. I'm guessing you were born and grew up in the UK and migrated to Aus in the last few years?

All you do is apply for the passport.

Its not like Aus where you need to apply for citizenship by descent for a child born outside of Aus to Aus parent(s) and then an Aus passport for them.

I bet. Maybe I won't bother, seems like an expensive accessory!

Its £46 for a kids passport. I didn't find it much hassle at all to apply for our ones since we moved to Aus. Most photo shops (like Kodak stores) do passport photos and you just tell them white background and its for a UK passport and its ready in 10 minutes.

We keep both Aus and UK ones for all those in our family who hold dual citizenship. I don't see it as an expense. Although it can be applied for anytime so its not difficult to get a few years down the road when actually needed for a trip to the UK. But we just like to know we all have valid passports and there is never a panic or worry should we need to jump on a plane at short notice or some such.

Wow, awesome advice. Thanks.

I was only going to get him one as we are going to UK and I thought he could travel on that. Maybe I won't both If he still needs to leave on an Aussie visa?

If your baby is an Australian citizen then you need an Aus passport for them to leave and come back in to Aus. Are you PR or temp visa holders?

I'm on a BV atm whilst applying for my defacto partner visa. He is an Aussie citizen though

Then Aus passport, which your partner applies for.

You can opt to get a UK one at any point but its not essential for your baby to go to the UK on. Baby can enter the UK on an Aus passport and be a tourist for the trip :)

You'll need to check your bridging visa has travel rights and if not, get the correct visa to enable you to travel.

I applied for their passports last year online. I think many years ago british citizenship could only be passed down through the britsh fathers not british mothers. However that has all changed now. If you are a british citizen then your child will automatically be a british citizen. I think I just had to send my british passport and birth certificate along with my childrens application. To be quite honest I do think it was a waste of money as I got them their british passport as we went back to the UK for a holiday and thought it would just be quicker to go through customs. However as my kids were dual Australian/british Nationals, they had to have an australian passport to enter and leave Australia. But they arrived in the Uk on their British passport. So it is quite expensive to have two passports. If your child has Bristish citizenship through hereditary, they can't then pass on British Citizenship to their children. Also British passport doesn't automatically entitle them to NHS, only urgent and necessary treatment, you have to prove residency in the Uk for treatment. That doesn't worry me as I pay taxes in Australia not UK. The babies father needs to sign the application form.

it was really easy online, when you apply online you submit it and then it prints out a page that you need to get a British citizen to sign the photographs. You then send that form and birth certificates etc to the UK. It didn't take long at all only about 3 weeks. Can't remember how much I think it was about $100, but you have to send it all recorde delivery. Also when you get passport pictures done you do need to state that it is for a british passport, the sizing was slightly different to australian pictures, (so Australia post told me).

Is that right? I've got a child on the way which will be born in the UK to oz / UK parents. They will be British by birth and Oz by decent but surely that doesn't mean that if they have children in Australia they have to up and leave? Or is it that if they choose to have children in the UK their children can't claim Oz citizenship :confused:

Is that right? I've got a child on the way which will be born in the UK to oz / UK parents. They will be British by birth and Oz by decent but surely that doesn't mean that if they have children in Australia they have to up and leave? Or is it that if they choose to have children in the UK their children can't claim Oz citizenship :confused:

You can double check. Iirc to be able to pass on citizenship automatically its something like you need to be resident in that country for X amount of years if citizenship is by descent is how you gained the citizenship. It doesn't just keep passing on automatically. I can't remember the exact ins and outs but I'm sure its easy to find and read up on. If I had time now I'd look but I have to go to work.