Any truth in the rumour that 'house prices in the South East/Outer London are going a bit mad?

stamples

@ramot and @Keith and Linda - my reply to the buy to let comment, was purely from my own point of view, that any glimmer of hope would be welcome - as a couple in our late 30s/early 40s, we missed the boat when UK prices were more affordable (due to various reasons) and even with joint income, would struggle due to the need to pay rent for somewhere to live in the meantime and save for the deposit at the same time.

I certainly wish no negative feelings on those who buy to let or have a mortgage in any form.

What is wrong with being one of bye to let brigade? We went without to purchase bye to let to cushion our retirement. We really look after our properties, and would be lying if the extra income makes our life in retirement more comfortable, we took a big chance when made redundant for the 3rd time, to move overseas, sold our family house and bought smaller, one for us to live in when in UK.

Not many people would have done that.

We are good landlords, and there isn't a shortage of similar properties for sale, but obviously it would appear that making provision for retirement in our case that the bye to let is unpopular with many.

I think the comment is aimed more at the speculators who over-leverage and treat property as a get-rich quick scheme.

@ramot and @Keith and Linda - my reply to the buy to let comment, was purely from my own point of view, that any glimmer of hope would be welcome - as a couple in our late 30s/early 40s, we missed the boat when UK prices were more affordable (due to various reasons) and even with joint income, would struggle due to the need to pay rent for somewhere to live in the meantime and save for the deposit at the same time.

I certainly wish no negative feelings on those who buy to let or have a mortgage in any form.

You have my sympathy, my daughter is in Sydney, I was just reacting to the comment "bye to let brigade"

Hope things work out for you.

You have my sympathy, my daughter is in Sydney, I was just reacting to the comment "bye to let brigade"

Hope things work out for you.

Thanks @ramot. It's not a big problem at the moment as we have a great unit in a good location (not sure of market value but probably way overpriced for what it is!), but I would certainly hope not to be still renting in 2-3 years time -- be in in Australia or back in the UK! Partly it's of our own making (from before we got together) as opportunities were missed... but such is life :-)

What is wrong with being one of bye to let brigade? We went without to purchase bye to let to cushion our retirement. We really look after our properties, and would be lying if the extra income makes our life in retirement more comfortable, we took a big chance when made redundant for the 3rd time, to move overseas, sold our family house and bought smaller, one for us to live in when in UK.

Not many people would have done that.

We are good landlords, and there isn't a shortage of similar properties for sale, but obviously it would appear that making provision for retirement in our case that the bye to let is unpopular with many.

I would think you are a very good landlord/lady Ramot :smile: but I have seen some truly horrible rentals in Sydney. Run down dumps. Some even with mould on the interior walls :elvis: Tenants having to wait days for hot water whilst the landlord/agent faff about humming and haa-ing about organising a plumber to fix/renew the hot water system. Trouble was at the time, rentals were quite hard to find so renters settled for those horrible places. The mould was usually painted over but came through again after a few weeks. I know all that from young people I worked with. One of them had to use the shower at work for days until hot water was available again in her rental. Some of the buy to let people are no better than slum landlords.

Trouble is, no matter how much you spend, you are still living in England.

Those who have this attitude tend to be bitter at not finding the paradise they were looking for. It's their way of compensating for the shortcomings of their decision. Bit sad really.

Thanks @ramot. It's not a big problem at the moment as we have a great unit in a good location (not sure of market value but probably way overpriced for what it is!), but I would certainly hope not to be still renting in 2-3 years time -- be in in Australia or back in the UK! Partly it's of our own making (from before we got together) as opportunities were missed... but such is life :-)

Life is full of opportunities

Sometimes you are just not aware or ready to take advantage of them

The trick is to not get distracted by others and follies in life and when your ready take full advantage of them

There is also cyclical periods when its either preparation time or execution time. With such silly pricing at the moment it "preparation time"

Those who have this attitude tend to be bitter at not finding the paradise they were looking for. It's their way of compensating for the shortcomings of their decision. Bit sad really.

It is very sad, but such is life there are better things to focus on:

The pier

The lanes

The pubs

The downs

The people

Thanks for the advice on the furnishing etc., just wondering about what to aim for in sales commission negotiations - 1% seems to be coming up as standard rate, how low is a good agent likely to go - best to start negotiations with figures in mind...

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Thanks for the advice on the furnishing etc., just wondering about what to aim for in sales commission negotiations - 1% seems to be coming up as standard rate, how low is a good agent likely to go - best to start negotiations with figures in mind...

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

We've been quoted 1%, and we're not far from where you are. I suspect that the higher the average price of property in the area, the lower they'll go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We are paying 0.75 % as our neighbour recommend us and the estate agent gave us the same deal as her !

Must admit though house sales in the north east of England are very slow so we have planned to leave the property in the hands of our agent and move anyway

we have had tow offers both way below our asking price so it's a waiting game for us

lots of investors keen to buy before March 30th though as seemingly there is a new tax going on any one owning more than one property It can from what people have said add thousands to the buying costs

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions. This thread has sure had some legs :)

It's getting worse. House in my street sold today. Never saw a forsale sign. Went straight to sold. There's nothing for sale in my village, and the estate agents are begging.

• 3 months later...

Thanks everyone for your input and recommendations.

Very pleased to say recommendations led us to an exceptional professional Conveyancing Solicitor - Emily Davis of Cartmells Solicitors in Buckinghamshire (http://cartmell-solicitors.co.uk/property-law/) - incredibly efficient throughout, who managed to get our sale through in only 6 weeks (liaising with us abroad) after a (random) window cleaner found us a private buyer (one of his clients who'd already sold) the day before we signed up with an estate agent! (random act of kindness?)

Also the buyer's estate agent, Simon Minter, the Branch Manager of Tim Russ, Thame, Oxfordshire (http://www.timruss.co.uk/about-us/tim-russ-thame/thame-team/) although not getting any commission from us, was very professional and helpful by liaising with the parties and keeping me updated on what was occurring in the process, a second good deed, much appreciated - we've extremely grateful to all these kind and professional parties, particularly this post-BREXIT vote week!

Thanks everyone for your input and recommendations.

Very pleased to say recommendations led us to an exceptional professional Conveyancing Solicitor - Emily Davis of Cartmells Solicitors in Buckinghamshire (http://cartmell-solicitors.co.uk/property-law/) - incredibly efficient throughout, who managed to get our sale through in only 6 weeks (liaising with us abroad) after a (random) window cleaner found us a private buyer (one of his clients who'd already sold) the day before we signed up with an estate agent! (random act of kindness?)

Also the buyer's estate agent, Simon Minter, the Branch Manager of Tim Russ, Thame, Oxfordshire (http://www.timruss.co.uk/about-us/tim-russ-thame/thame-team/) although not getting any commission from us, was very professional and helpful by liaising with the parties and keeping me updated on what was occurring in the process, a second good deed, much appreciated - we've extremely grateful to all these kind and professional parties, particularly this post-BREXIT vote week!

Well done. Everything seems to have gone very quiet here for some reason. Good market if you are buying though.