30yr old partner with crohns can he emigrate?

Kayleigh Mac

Hi,

I am hoping someone could help me as I'm new to all this.

My Mum & Sister live in Brisbane and have done for 7 years, they are now permanent residents. I would love to move out there and be with them but I have no clue which visa I have to apply for. I'm 27 with good health and a full time job in a solicitors. My partner of 9 years is 30 years old, fully qualified electrician but has Crohn's disease. Please can anyone advise what we would have to do to live and work in Oz?

Many thanks in advance

Kayleigh

Hi,

My Mum & Sister live in Brisbane and have done for 7 years, they are now permanent residents. I would love to move out there and be with them but I have no clue which visa I have to apply for. I'm 27 with good health and a full time job in a solicitors. My partner of 9 years is 30 years old, fully qualified electrician but has Crohn's disease. Please can anyone advise what we would have to do to live and work in Oz?

Many thanks in advance

Kayleigh

Your partner's Crohn's is unlikely to be too much of an issue, assuming it is well controlled. I emigrated with colitis which was previously severe but then was reasonably well controlled thereafter.

You'll need a visa though so read through the immigration websites. Others will be able to advise better but you'll need some sort of qualification that is in demand over here. The department of immigraition website is a great start. You are alos eligible for working holiday visas at your age, but they are temporary. A year or two out here might help you decided if you like it though

My partner has Crohn's disease. It doesn't affect her in day to day life.

She had to get a letter from her doctors to state that it has very little effect on her day to day life.

No problems encountered and she got the visa without problems.

Any health issue is only likely to be a problem if it costs the health service a lot of money. I saw some figure once, I think it was about $30K/yr. If your condition costs approx this or more per year, only then will it raise some eyebrows.

I have ulcerative colitis and we had our medicals a couple of weeks ago. We are still waiting for the results, but the doctor that did the medical hardly mentioned the condition. I had taken a letter from my consultant describing the medication and history and he just said thanks and that was it. The only thing that might be troublesome is if you need a lot of expensive medication, but most of the UK prescribed tablets for Crohn's and UC are well within budget.

Hope all goes well with your visa applications.

Hi,

Your partner should be OK, the bigger question is whether one of you could qualify for a visa in the first place. A consultation with a MARA registered agent would be a sensible first step.

I'd be very surprised if the requirements are stupid.

Electrical work is probably the most dangerous work there is. I'm reminded of the poor lads who were electrocuted in the Pink Batts fiasco due to poor training.

I appreciate you might not be able to see the benefit though.

I don't quite understand why Aus hands out skilled visas to electricians , for example, if when they get there they aren't actually qualified electricians under Aus law. Seems a bit daft to me.

It is the States laws and not Federal Australia's and it affects more than just electricians. However I would say that at the visa application stage they should be making you more aware of this fact so at least you are forewarned early in the process and you could do further research then. I have heard horror stories on how hard and long it takes and then I was talking to a guy in Adelaide whom said how quick and easy it was. Also you have to consider electricians (and other trades) from all over the world are coming in and you cannot expect the states to know the quality of training and experience these guys have so you have to prove yourself. Frustrating as it is, and you will be even more frustrated when you actually do and see what its all about, but you just have knuckle down and do it then all comes good.

Hi,

Many thanks in advance

Kayleigh

The main medical problems for getting into Australia are AIDS, TB and cancer. UC if well controlled is unlikely to be too much of a problem. Talk to an agent and I'd recommend Bill Rose at Anglia.com.au for advice.

I don't quite understand why Aus hands out skilled visas to electricians , for example, if when they get there they aren't actually qualified electricians under Aus law. Seems a bit daft to me.

They don't have to spend years re training like you have to spend years getting through an apprenticeship to be qualified in the first place. They have to attend a few courses to get up to 'aussie spec' (takes a few months i believe) , TBH the major pain (i believe) is the cost as apparently its not cheap to do, hence can really catch you off guard if your not aware prior to arrival.

Cal x.

ETA - Plumbers have the same issues with their UK licence not being recognised

Edited by calNgary

Thank you everyone for your help and advice.

I've been reading up on a couple of visas this morning but I'm a little confused. Being 27 am I able to apply for a child visa as my mum is an Oz citizen? What visa would be best for me and my partner?

No. Because you are not dependent on her. You have a husband and you have your own incomes.

Isn't there any kind of ancestry visa for Australia?

Not like the UK, no.

Best there is would be the Last Remaining Relative, which currently has a queue date of around 56 years. And I think the OP would need to be single for that one (not 100% certain though)

Hi, I am also a fully qualified electrician and I have chron's and have had it very severely for many years and in 2010 I had a panproctocolectomy. I was granted a visa in Jan and the medical was a breeze. I ensured I had plenty of information about my condition from my consultants outlining that as I have had the operation I am fine now and the disease isn't effecting my life and I'm not likely to need major help.

I don't take any medication anymore as the disease was completely removed and I have a colostomy. The dr who did my medical said even if I was still ill it wouldn't be an issue.l, if i was suffering he said I would be told to go away have the operation and Come back when I had recovered and if the disease was being easily managed it wouldn't be an issue.

Problem with chron's is it varies majourly from persons to person, I was severely ill and I would never have been accepted at my worst as I was in hospital every week on infusions and on expensive medications like infliximab. My brother has the disease and he hasn't had the op and is ill quite often and wouldn't get a visa but I also know people who have it and it barely effects them so it depends how much it effects you partner. I'm guessing he doesn't have much of an issue with it as he's a spark because I know when I was ill and training I couldn't hold down a full time job anywhere let alone as a spark..

Hope this helps

I'd be very surprised if the requirements are stupid.

Electrical work is probably the most dangerous work there is. I'm reminded of the poor lads who were electrocuted in the Pink Batts fiasco due to poor training.

I appreciate you might not be able to see the benefit though.

JESUS!!!! Take a seat I agree with something parley has posted!!!!

the electrical licensing in Australia and the GAP training although it's a pain it is definitely a good thing. In the UK the trade has been watered down by domestic installers and rates have plummeted because people can do an exam on how to read the 17tg edition book, show an NIC inspector "their" work (or someone elses work) and call themselves an "electrician". So many of these people were going to is and getting caught out when finding work on proper commercial and industrial sites the ozzies made some more hoops for British sparks. I've heard people say that the quality of work is better in the UK, but at least you have to be a spark to work as one

It is the States laws and not Federal Australia's and it affects more than just electricians. However I would say that at the visa application stage they should be making you more aware of this fact so at least you are forewarned early in the process and you could do further research then. I have heard horror stories on how hard and long it takes and then I was talking to a guy in Adelaide whom said how quick and easy it was. Also you have to consider electricians (and other trades) from all over the world are coming in and you cannot expect the states to know the quality of training and experience these guys have so you have to prove yourself. Frustrating as it is, and you will be even more frustrated when you actually do and see what its all about, but you just have knuckle down and do it then all comes good.

Its much like the NVQ here, I know loads of people who it has taken them 3 years to complete, I knuckled down and spent 6 consequtive sundays writting up the modules and finished it in 6 weeks. I have spoken to trainers in aus and will be going straight over and attending a 3 week course in north Brisbane as soon as I get there and then I will have to complete the on site diary, on average it takes 12 months but can be done as fast as you complete the work, if it's like the UK NVQ you'll just need the knowledge and be able to give examples and explain what you would do rather than having to actually do the work and record it. Technically you should do it but if you know how then people can get around it to an extent. I've also spoken to agencies and I will be earning more as a trade assistant temp working as I would here as an Electrician on the books, although not quite as much as I do now being self employed. But if you want to do it you have to be prepared to adjust and take the rough with the smooth

• 7 months later...