Family sponsored 489 queries

louisella

HI – could someone please help with some queries regarding the 489 family sponsored visa

I’m worried as I’ve read that solicitors are on the flagged list for possible removal so if we don’t apply soon (well once my husband has a positive skills assessment) we could to lose the opportunity. However at it stands, points wise, the above visa looks to be our only option (not ideal at all I know).

I’m just trying to get an idea of timescales as we’re not in a position to move for a couple of years yet.

1. If we submitted an EOI before the new SOL is published in July and solicitor is removed, does that mean we’re automatically excluded or would they still consider applications submitted before?

2. Does anyone know how long family sponsored applications take (if it makes a difference it would be for WA)? I know there is a lengthy wait but that’s ok for us

3. If, for example, the visa was granted on 1st Jan 2017, does that mean we can live and work in Australia for 4 years from that date? So if we only moved over on say 1st Jan 2018, we’d only be able to stay for 3 years?

I know with permanent visas you can validate your visa first (I think within the first 12 months?) but then you have 5 years in which to make the actual move. Am I right in thinking none of this applies for the 489 family sponsored?

Not quite. With the 489 it is only valid for 4 years from grant and to progress to PR via this pathway you need to spend two years in designated area. So in reality you have two years from grant to move. There may be still an extension but it isn't for long.

Is this the only visa you can qualify for? Maybe post your points so we can see if there are other options.

Hi both

Thanks for your replies - on DIBP is states: Invited Pathway - Your visa is valid for four years from the date of grant.

[h=4]So if the visa was say granted on 1st Jan, 2017, the very latest date we could arrivee in Australia would be 1st Jan 2019 in order to meet the 2 year criteria for PR progression – is that right? [/h]Points wise, my husband has the following:

Age - 15

IELTS - confident he'll be able to get 20

Skilled employment - can't claim any under this section as he's only been a qualified solicitor for a year

Qualifications - 15 (from a UK degree)

Family sponsorship - 10

Other (very slim!) possibility for points

He’ll need to take additional units stipulated by the relevant Law Board (likely to be WA) in order to be admitted to practice in Australia – once he’s done these, I don’t know whether he could claim additional Qualification points under this (although I doubt it):

An award or qualification recognised by the assessing authority in the assessment of the skilled occupation - 10 points

Hi both

Thanks for your replies - on DIBP is states: Invited Pathway - Your visa is valid for four years from the date of grant.

So if the visa was say granted on 1st Jan, 2017, the very latest date we could arrivee in Australia would be 1st Jan 2019 in order to meet the 2 year criteria for PR progression – is that right?

Points wise, my husband has the following:

Age - 15

IELTS - confident he'll be able to get 20

Skilled employment - can't claim any under this section as he's only been a qualified solicitor for a year

Qualifications - 15 (from a UK degree)

Family sponsorship - 10

Other (very slim!) possibility for points

He’ll need to take additional units stipulated by the relevant Law Board (likely to be WA) in order to be admitted to practice in Australia – once he’s done these, I don’t know whether he could claim additional Qualification points under this (although I doubt it):

An award or qualification recognised by the assessing authority in the assessment of the skilled occupation - 10 points

The 12 months for validation is usually 12 months from the date of the medical/pcc, whichever was earlier. Not from the date of grant.

So if the visa was say granted on 1st Jan, 2017, the very latest date we could arrivee in Australia would be 1st Jan 2019 in order to meet the 2 year criteria for PR progression – is that right?

Correct, however that would leave you applying on the very last possible date for the 887 visa, which is always a risk if there are technical issues. You would also need to ensure someone has worked at least 12 months full-time in order to apply for the 887. Either of you could be the primary applicant for that visa, so if your husband studied and you worked full-time, it's possible you could become the primary applicant.

• 3 months later...

Hi Louisella

I've got a query along similar lines. Hoping someone may have some advice about this...

I may be left with no other option but to apply for a 489 family sponsorship but I will only have 60 points. Looking at the statistics on the invite rounds, it seems that in recent months, only EOIs for 489s with 70 points received an invite and this has been consistent, although earlier in the year, there were some invites for 489 applicants with 65 points.

So, my question is, if you only have 60 points, does this mean you will never get an invite for a 489 as long as there are other applicants with more than 60 points, or is it the case that when you've been waiting long enough, they do eventually invite people with less points than other people who have only just joined the queue?

I'm hoping that it is possible to receive an invite for a 489 with 60 points because there is nothing I can do to acquire additional points. I have thought about applying for state sponsorship on a 489 rather than family, but I'm put off by the restrictions on location, whereas I understand if a family member sponsors you, although they have to live in a designated area, you don't have to join them in the same regional area, which opens up the possibility of finding work in a different state.

Any advice about 489 timelines and minimum points would be gratefully received.

Thanks all

So, my question is, if you only have 60 points, does this mean you will never get an invite for a 489 as long as there are other applicants with more than 60 points, or is it the case that when you've been waiting long enough, they do eventually invite people with less points than other people who have only just joined the queue?

The way the system works, those with higher points will always jump to the front of the queue for an invitation.

• 1 year later...

Good Day All

My query for 489 family sponsorship is that have my first cousin who happens to be an Australian citizen used to live in Melbourne but have temporary moved to India.As I received an invitation for my E.O.I for 489 visa can I use my this sister details or has it to be a relation being Australian citizen but also living in Australia can sponsor me for 489 visa.

Where unable to understand which is correct that only Australian citizen and living in Australia can only sponsor me or as in the case can my sister sponsor me despite being  citizen of Australia but she been living in India for last 4 years.

thanks

6 hours ago, farmer82 said:

Good Day All

My query for 489 family sponsorship is that have my first cousin who happens to be an Australian citizen used to live in Melbourne but have temporary moved to India.As I received an invitation for my E.O.I for 489 visa can I use my this sister details or has it to be a relation being Australian citizen but also living in Australia can sponsor me for 489 visa.

Where unable to understand which is correct that only Australian citizen and living in Australia can only sponsor me or as in the case can my sister sponsor me despite being  citizen of Australia but she been living in India for last 4 years.

thanks

Don't understand the reference to a sister?

If your cousin is living in India how can she be "settled in Australia"?