Do you regret moving back?

edinburghgirlinoz

I could count on one hand the number of times I have been cold enough to need a coat, I still haven't got one anyway.

I didn't own a winter coat for 30 years here but I had to go out and buy one last winter. It was COLD here. The winter before wasn't as chilly but those winds off the mountains or the Bass Strait really made themselves felt last year. I'm not one for sitting indoors no matter what the weather is like so was thankful for a decent warm coat.

Three of my friends and I look after 4 horses which were being neglected. We club together for expenses, food, vet bills, farrier etc. We just bought a warm rug for the oldest horse and she wore it for the first time yesterday. The three others can cope with the cold a bit better. It's lashing down with rain and I worry about the oldest horse but she has a bit of shelter and good food in her belly which is a lot more than she had before. We are trying to find a more sheltered field for them when the really cold weather arrives.

Reading through the last few posts reminds me of the worst winter I have lived through, which may have been 2009/2010. It started late November, my office was opposite Glasgow Airport. Within a short time of arriving at work, the snow started. Soon afterwards, everyone was sent home. The airport had closed and all public transport was stopped. I was 'lucky' to live about a half hour walk away, and decided to walk it even though I'd been offered lifts. It took about one and a half hours, the snow was halfway up my calves by the time I got near home. Turned out the traffic conditions were so bad, some people who drove home took up to 8 hours.

Then there were several days the max temperature didn't get above -10!! And the time I left the house to go to work and slipped on black ice on the front path, injuring my leg.

I have always hated snow and ice and will be very happy if I never see a single flake of snow ever again!!

There you go, it is why I questioned the belief that the country regularly grinds to a halt, it's ridiculous of course. Yes I don't mind the short sharp winters at all. I'm sure you will soon get your sense of humour back.

Maybe my perception is skewed by my last winter in the UK. http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3255179/UK-grinds-to-a-halt-in-Big-Freeze.html During this we had virtually no mail delivered and the bins were not emptied for a month (despite living in a busy town centre, the council had run out of a grit). For me winter regularly meant disruptions at Heathrow for fog, on the trains for numerous reasons and the M4 where the darkness seemed to make for more accidents.

We moved from a very pretty house in Kenilworth Warwickshire but the weather was awful and we found it very hard to keep warm. Don't find it hard here at all even though we don't have double glazing or anything like that. We have open fires and gas fires and that is more than enough . We never heat the bedrooms because we don't need to. It is really daft to compare the climates, though- Uk is a cold country, Australia is a hot country(yes, even the South). That's it.

Reading through the last few posts reminds me of the worst winter I have lived through, which may have been 2009/2010. It started late November, my office was opposite Glasgow Airport. Within a short time of arriving at work, the snow started. Soon afterwards, everyone was sent home. The airport had closed and all public transport was stopped. I was 'lucky' to live about a half hour walk away, and decided to walk it even though I'd been offered lifts. It took about one and a half hours, the snow was halfway up my calves by the time I got near home. Turned out the traffic conditions were so bad, some people who drove home took up to 8 hours.

Then there were several days the max temperature didn't get above -10!! And the time I left the house to go to work and slipped on black ice on the front path, injuring my leg.

I have always hated snow and ice and will be very happy if I never see a single flake of snow ever again!!

That winter and the next were definitely the coldest we've had recently - the following ones have been much milder (and wetter). Even in Norfolk the snow stuck around for weeks.

My husband was still working in Melbourne at that time and he flew over to join us for Christmas. His flight was diverted to Manchester and he had to get the train to Norwich. All credit to the train companies which kept the lines open though - he arrived only an hour later than he would have done had his flight landed in London.

I remember a guy falling outside our house on the ice. He was from Eastern Europe and couldn't speak much English, so it was difficult to find out what was wrong - I thought at first he was drunk as it was so early in the morning, but it turned out he was diabetic and had been working all night in a restaurant and not eaten enough. I gave him some chocolate and toast and he was almost recovered, if a bit sore, by the time the paramedic arrived. He got up and limped off taking my blanket with him!

That winter and the next were definitely the coldest we've had recently - the following ones have been much milder (and wetter). Even in Norfolk the snow stuck around for weeks.

My husband was still working in Melbourne at that time and he flew over to join us for Christmas. His flight was diverted to Manchester and he had to get the train to Norwich. All credit to the train companies which kept the lines open though - he arrived only an hour later than he would have done had his flight landed in London.

I remember a guy falling outside our house on the ice. He was from Eastern Europe and couldn't speak much English, so it was difficult to find out what was wrong - I thought at first he was drunk as it was so early in the morning, but it turned out he was diabetic and had been working all night in a restaurant and not eaten enough. I gave him some chocolate and toast and he was almost recovered, if a bit sore, by the time the paramedic arrived. He got up and limped off taking my blanket with him!

2010 was the last bad winter in the u.k ...i was working I an empty house ,it was -4c......we have had nothing since ,but this winter has been strange .

For those that have been in oz a while ,we don't get winters like the old days anymore

People stood outside the pub at Xmas in shirts and jumpers ,but the temperature didn't really change dec-jan-feb-mar-and then bloody April ....

April showers my arse ...when it rains its biblical ...we had 15 mins the other day ,the drains struggled to cope .

About 20 frosts that's all ,but 4 were in April .....just as I was about to give up hope ,out comes the sun over the last few days ...19c today on my hygrometer ....

2010 was the last bad winter in the u.k ...i was working I an empty house ,it was -4c......we have had nothing since ,but this winter has been strange .

For those that have been in oz a while ,we don't get winters like the old days anymore

People stood outside the pub at Xmas in shirts and jumpers ,but the temperature didn't really change dec-jan-feb-mar-and then bloody April ....

April showers my arse ...when it rains its biblical ...we had 15 mins the other day ,the drains struggled to cope .

About 20 frosts that's all ,but 4 were in April .....just as I was about to give up hope ,out comes the sun over the last few days ...19c today on my hygrometer ....

Yes we have only been back since 2012 but certainly haven't had a bad winter in that time, the last couple have been particularly mild and short.

Yes we have only been back since 2012 but certainly haven't had a bad winter in that time, the last couple have been particularly mild and short.

Seems that way now. Global warming.

Last winter here though was a really cold one but the summer just gone seemed endless days of warm, sunny weather. Hard to predict weather patterns anywhere these days.

Seems that way now. Global warming.

Last winter here though was a really cold one but the summer just gone seemed endless days of warm, sunny weather. Hard to predict weather patterns anywhere these days.

1st winter back (last 2015/2016 xmas) unusually mild to my memory, my kids are all aussie so they think it's well , not great, but also not so bad.

Then snow in Feb and warm (they's never seen snow and we had at least 1 to 2 inches), and then really warm last week and sleet on thursday ?? bizzare! Frost officially finished here in east sussex this weekend, but waiting until next weekend to put my seedlings out,

Still, it's quite warm now today and I can see (yes I know) myself complaining about the heat on the trains in less than 6 weeks time! :)

1st winter back (last 2015/2016 xmas) unusually mild to my memory, my kids are all aussie so they think it's well , not great, but also not so bad.

Then snow in Feb and warm (they's never seen snow and we had at least 1 to 2 inches), and then really warm last week and sleet on thursday ?? bizzare! Frost officially finished here in east sussex this weekend, but waiting until next weekend to put my seedlings out,

Still, it's quite warm now today and I can see (yes I know) myself complaining about the heat on the trains in less than 6 weeks time! :)

One time (about 20 years ago) when I was back in the UK round about Christmas time, I remember Christmas shopping in London when it was really mild and my two Aussie sons wearing just T shirts and shorts. Then we went up to Scotland to stay with Mum and the weather was freezing. So different. I have a photo of the two of them jumping up and down on a frozen pond in a field and it's nearly dark at 4 o'clock in the afternoon. They also managed to see snow falling after that Christmas.

I can't believe some on here don't own a coat! I've lost count! One for every eventuality! A bit nippy, cold and dry, cold and wet, mild and wet , wind proof....bloody Antarctic...short jacket, mid length, full length...dog walking vs going into town etc etc Lol! I love a cosy winter coat!

Maybe some members have more natural insulation and waterproofing!! I need my coats!

I can't believe some on here don't own a coat! I've lost count! One for every eventuality! A bit nippy, cold and dry, cold and wet, mild and wet , wind proof....bloody Antarctic...short jacket, mid length, full length...dog walking vs going into town etc etc Lol! I love a cosy winter coat!

Maybe some members have more natural insulation and waterproofing!! I need my coats!

:laugh:

I have jackets rather than coats and I've 4 of those. A really good waterproof jacket is a necessity for me as I'm out in all weathers and a pair of wellies!! I have a warm and cosy jacket - the good waterproof one, a lighter one and a sort of good, 'going out' one. Hadn't had one on since last October mind you ..... but the winter is a far different story. It's not cold today but very windy and the rain is on and off - got caught in a really heavy downpour earlier this morning.

I work with people who don't wear coats or feel the cold, but they're the ones who melt as soon as the temperature reaches a heady 16degs. Several were saying how gorgeous and warm it was on Tuesday, but when I walked outside the wind nearly cut me in half! It was mild, but definitely not warm!

One of my daughter's friends never felt cold - I used to take a group of girls to Brownies and she'd be only one in tshirt sleeves, skipping along the road in the dark and cold of January when the rest of us were bundled up in coats, gloves, scarves etc. I was quite envious of her - I wish I didn't feel it so much, but my body just shuts down in winter!

I don't recall ever having owned a coat in my life, I have jackets which hang on their hooks from year to year. I dont really feel the cold unless it is under zero but also handle the heat OK even though I like it around 23-24 ideally.

I work with people who don't wear coats or feel the cold, but they're the ones who melt as soon as the temperature reaches a heady 16degs. Several were saying how gorgeous and warm it was on Tuesday, but when I walked outside the wind nearly cut me in half! It was mild, but definitely not warm!

One of my daughter's friends never felt cold - I used to take a group of girls to Brownies and she'd be only one in tshirt sleeves, skipping along the road in the dark and cold of January when the rest of us were bundled up in coats, gloves, scarves etc. I was quite envious of her - I wish I didn't feel it so much, but my body just shuts down in winter!

One of my sons is never bothered by the heat or the cold. Played sport happily no matter what the weather was like and never wore warm clothes. I definitely cope better in cooler weather ...................... I'll let you know how I'm coping when the winter weather really sets in here. :cute:

• 2 weeks later...

We're a family of 3, son was born in Perth, had 2 1/4 years there made the most of it. Moved back to UK 3 years ago and haven't looked back. Life is peachy.

I work in the medical profession and occasionally talk of emigrating to Australia comes up in conversation (for varying reasons) with my patients and colleagues.....curiously the response from some when they discover I CHOSE to return to the UK from Oz is rather perplexing. Some are astonished that I would leave Nirvana (most who think this have never actually been to Australia) and others get defensive if I say anything negative (however subtle) about the place. I have a very balanced view and am aware there are pro's and cons to both the UK and Australia. For some it is paradise for others - not.

I have a lot of coats but don't wear any of them much. The problem with coats is that we come out of the house, get in the car, drive to the supermarket, get out of the car walk inside and if you have a coat on you are immediately boiling. Its cold enough for a coat early in the day in winter and if you travel on public transport but for the rest of us who don't a skivvy and a jumper suffice. Love winter in Melbourne. No snow, gardening time and walks on the beach great.

• 1 month later...
I used to live in Leominster briefly, parents still in Ledbury. We're seriously thinking of relocating to Wales, so much research to do though & things to consider.

We live quite near to Leominster and love it, it's a wonderful area and you get such a lot for your money around here.

I know this is quite what the topic is about but....

I was born in England, but grew up in South Africa for 20 years. I then moved to England, more specifically London, and that was amazing, and have been in England for for 24 years. Now I start my next move to a country I never thought I would have an opportunity to live in.

I will embrace Australia the land, and the energy it's past and present gives

I will embrace ALL the people of Australia, past and present

I will explore as much of Australia and the surrounding countries as I can

Most of all I will enjoy every one of these moments with my girlfriend

I can't wait for the next challenge as I migrate again :)

Just wondering if anyone who has made the move back to UK regrets it and why?

Thanks

edinburghgirl

Good question! My answer is yes.... and no!

I spent almost three years in Melbourne in my early twenties. I didn't leave by choice and I 'grieved' for my old life for a little bit.

I've now been in London for almost 8 years, but am shortly moving to Sydney. Never say never, but having been over for business trips, I expect it to be a long term move.

In reality, I don't regret my time spent in London at all. The way I see it, many of my peers in Australia will have spent time in the UK on working holiday/ancestry visas - it's sort of a rite of passage. Had I stayed in Australia throughout by twenties, being an adventurous sort of gal, I'm sure I'd have started to wonder had I missed out on the London lifestyle, travelling to lots of European countries etc.

The way I see it I've been in the right places at the right times for me. Since leaving Aus I've travelled all over Europe, Africa, Asia and South America, studied in New York and lived most

of the time in a vibrant city that feels like it's in the centre of everything. I've bought a flat and I've saved money, and now I'm returning to Oz with great work and life experience under my belt.

At the same time, I now feel ready to be in Aus again. Sydney has the advantages of city life without being quite as built up and jam packed as London. I miss the proximity to great beaches and to wine regions. I love the drama of the landscape, from the red centre to the coastlines. I love the sporty lifestyle and national interest in sports. I'm also excited about cheap flights to Asia (Flight Centre regularly has sales has return flights to Malaysis for £127 or Fiji for £200). Admittedly they aren't the 1 - 2 hour flights I'm used to in Europe! Of course there will always be pros and cons to both.

At the end of the day, there's a right time and place for everything and who says we have to settle in one place for life? I'd like to get my citizenship and have all the options... and be a ping-pong-pom :)

Side note: I always think it's impossible to broadly compare the continent of Australia to the British isles. Even within the UK, the climate ranges from the Shetlands to Cornwall. City life differs from country life. Perth and Sydney are about 4000 km apart, and both offer different advantages and disadvantages. What's more, depending on your life circumstances (where your family is based, how close you are to them, if you have small children or are retired), your job satisfaction and salary.... your circumstances can have a dramatic effect on your experience.

Really interesting to read everyone's differing experiences!

yeah your post has some valid points and you sure wont die wondering! I think places become stale after 6 years maybe. ive done 7 in Sydney now and although I'm not a fan of this term, am a bit over it. Ive been ready to head back to the UK for a while now and am doing so with citizenship which makes the whole decision infinitely easier.

I think its certainly healthy in your twenties to discover new places, cities, get out of your comfort zone.. but now I'm mid thirties I'm seeking more stability, family times etc.. plus the idea of discovering Europe is so exciting to me as you do take it for granted when you live there. well I did anyway, shame on me.

if you don't think Sydney is built up, you are very much mistaken. the city is full to bursting now and will get worse in the coming years. the traffic is bad and more concentrated in the eastern subs. flights internally and internationally aren't cheap at all. holidaying in Australia almost isn't worth bothering with. I would've loved to go to Uluru before I leave but would rather save the money for a trip to the Amalfi when I'm back.

sounds like you've had an interesting time so far, some admirable achievements for sure.

My 'problem' is in the unlikely event we ever went back to Australia I just can't see where we would go, we have zero interest in the West or NT, can't really see ourselves back in Victoria and NSW doesn't particularly appeal either. South Australia is stinking hot in the summer. I don't like what is happening in Queensland politically and economically. Thankfully I don't think it will ever be an issue but it is interesting nonetheless.

My 'problem' is in the unlikely event we ever went back to Australia I just can't see where we would go, we have zero interest in the West or NT, can't really see ourselves back in Victoria and NSW doesn't particularly appeal either. South Australia is stinking hot in the summer. I don't like what is happening in Queensland politically and economically. Thankfully I don't think it will ever be an issue but it is interesting nonetheless.

You are such an Anglophile. :cute: If your parents hadn't migrated all those years ago when you were a little 'un, you would probably never had set foot in Australia. Funny how things work out.