Do you regret moving back?

edinburghgirlinoz

For me ,without question ,Australia is a fantastic place to raise a family .

Bringing up the kids in a decent,safe environment .

But once those kids grow and get restless ,Europe is the place ,just my opinion .

Cheap flights or sleeping and travelling on the trains in western Europe is a great experience .

GO FOR IT ,THE WORLDS YOUR LOBSTER RODDERS 

Spot on. Lovely clean, warm environment for little 'uns but my now teenagers came to visit the UK at Christmas and loved it! They'll be back :yes:

Edited by janlo

If anyone did live in a shithole they would do their upmost to move.

I am beginning to think that must be why many prefer it way out there - coming out of a small house in a grotty overcrowded dump then suddenly being able to rent or own a detached house on a sprawling suburb would create the illusion of a new "elevated" sort of status.

• 2 weeks later...
I moved back the UK after five years and I am thinking of going back, I miss the heat. I loved the heat the hotter the better for me. I also miss a huge detached house, clean streets, clean cities, the beach, camping, my spa, corona and my BBQ...

yes me too - a nice beer and bbq after work sitting outside looking at the sunny sky :) I have now been wearing a winter coat for 7 months and yes it looks lovely outside (because really the winter hasnt been too bad ie not too much rain) but it is soooooooooo cold - it gives me a shock everytime I go outside expecting it to be as warm as it looks. I must say I do like these nice light nights though - still light well after 8pm

yes me too - a nice beer and bbq after work sitting outside looking at the sunny sky :) I have now been wearing a winter coat for 7 months and yes it looks lovely outside (because really the winter hasnt been too bad ie not too much rain) but it is soooooooooo cold - it gives me a shock everytime I go outside expecting it to be as warm as it looks. I must say I do like these nice light nights though - still light well after 8pm

Can I ask where you are in the UK that you have be needed a winter coat for 7 months ? Scotland perhaps ?

Can I ask where you are in the UK that you have be needed a winter coat for 7 months ? Scotland perhaps ?

I live in Kent - it is pretty windy which means the wind chill factor takes the temp (how it feels) down and a coat has been needed since October last year - although we have had had one nice day where we even had a bbq and sat outside and obviously a coat was not needed for that.

Now I accept that I am a woos after 9 years of living in a beautiful hot climate and that I still need to do some acclimatising but I can assure you I have been needing a coat since October and that adds to my regret at coming back

I live in Kent - it is pretty windy which means the wind chill factor takes the temp (how it feels) down and a coat has been needed since October last year - although we have had had one nice day where we even had a bbq and sat outside and obviously a coat was not needed for that.

Now I accept that I am a woos after 9 years of living in a beautiful hot climate and that I still need to do some acclimatising but I can assure you I have been needing a coat since October and that adds to my regret at coming back

It must be an acclimatisation thing @Imapla as I remember being out in December and being amazed that we didn’t need coats. I’m not sure I can remember a milder winter to be honest. But the wind chill can make the difference, even on a lovely spring day like today which is why I love my summer house. We spend time in it all year round, sometimes with thick woolies on and a rug across the knees, other times the doors and windows flung open to catch the breeze. Wouldn’t be without it now! T x

Well I didn't have one until Christmas and already not wearing it every day.

Everyone is different though, I think I feel the cold (have the usual thermostat/duvet wars in our house!) but hated the heat in Perth and even last week at 17 degrees I was getting cranky (to be fair I was wearing my winter coat!)

I am beginning to think that must be why many prefer it way out there - coming out of a small house in a grotty overcrowded dump then suddenly being able to rent or own a detached house on a sprawling suburb would create the illusion of a new "elevated" sort of status.

That is not a nice comment but don't really expect anything else from you. You are now back where you want to be so just chill and be happy. I for one certainly didn't come out of a small house in a grotty, overcrowded dump and I have not the slightest interest in living in a MacMansion in a boring sprawling suburb here.

How are you settling in now that you're here Pat?

Home from home always has been as we land in Oz and put the Aussie hat on or land in UK and put our English hat on LOL

Doing fine although we move again Monday May 9th oh joy as that's when ours son moves into the property that we will all live in

Sorted Centrelink -spent 2 hours in the office Tuesday though it was done only to check online Wednesday to find we had no pensions any more

3 hour phone call Wednesday has now seen it sorted ( I Think )

Dog arrived in quarantine as planned despite my UK vet loosing the last crucial blood test ( the letter they will get will keep until later )

Sorting paperwork daily ie cancelling off UK items and adding Aussie items I need my own storage bank for the paperwork but hey ho will get there

Home from home always has been as we land in Oz and put the Aussie hat on or land in UK and put our English hat on LOL

Doing fine although we move again Monday May 9th oh joy as that's when ours son moves into the property that we will all live in

Sorted Centrelink -spent 2 hours in the office Tuesday though it was done only to check online Wednesday to find we had no pensions any more

3 hour phone call Wednesday has now seen it sorted ( I Think )

Dog arrived in quarantine as planned despite my UK vet loosing the last crucial blood test ( the letter they will get will keep until later )

Sorting paperwork daily ie cancelling off UK items and adding Aussie items I need my own storage bank for the paperwork but hey ho will get there

You have a great attitude Pat! How was the flight? You will be looking forward to seeing Ralphy again or have you already collected him?

Edited by JockinTas

No Ralphy is in quarantine until May 8th cant wait to see him he is the bairn !

First flight Heathrow to Singapore was brilliant - lass that booked us in put us beside some empty seats so hubby had 4 seats I moved over the aisle and had 3 so we both slept stretched out -magic

Second leg packed and I had a rather large lady in front of me push her seat back from the minute she got on the plane and never moved grr

Then she proceeded to drop her over sized heavy hand luggage on my head -well hubby deflected it

But as the OH said that was only the short 7 hour flight ( I have friends in the UK who would die if they had to travel that far LOL )

It must be an acclimatisation thing @Imapla as I remember being out in December and being amazed that we didn’t need coats. I’m not sure I can remember a milder winter to be honest. But the wind chill can make the difference, even on a lovely spring day like today which is why I love my summer house. We spend time in it all year round, sometimes with thick woolies on and a rug across the knees, other times the doors and windows flung open to catch the breeze. Wouldn’t be without it now! T x

Yes it was a wonderful mild winter and even my wife who does feel the cold wasn't wearing a coat and even now I often take the dog for a walk in nothing more than tshirt and trousers. What I have found is when people make the decision to make to move back to the scorching heat their recollection of things becomes negative which is easy to understand.

Yes it was a wonderful mild winter and even my wife who does feel the cold wasn't wearing a coat and even now I often take the dog for a walk in nothing more than tshirt and trousers. What I have found is when people make the decision to make to move back to the scorching heat their recollection of things becomes negative which is easy to understand.

Mild winter down south maybe very cold up north and that is not me being negative because we have moved back to Oz it's me telling it as it is

We went to a wedding 16th of April a few days before we left the UK it rained ,hailed and snowed then the sun came out but my teeth chattered outside of the marriage venue !

Mild winter down south maybe very cold up north and that is not me being negative because we have moved back to Oz it's me telling it as it is

We went to a wedding 16th of April a few days before we left the UK it rained ,hailed and snowed then the sun came out but my teeth chattered outside of the marriage venue !

Yes the North is a whole different ballgame entirely. April hasn't been great but the it is known for being unpredictable. Today is beautiful.

It is absolutely freezing up here atm (although the sun is shining today). You got out at the right time! My down filled jacket has been worn daily since October and we still have the heating on, a fire lit and the winter duvets and electric blankets on.

Mind you, one of my daughters is in Bristol, one in London, my parents are in Cheshire and our friends are in Norfolk and they're all saying it's freezing in those places too and they till have their heating and winter clothes on, but I doubt it's quite as cold down there.

Even my husband, who isn't really affected by the weather, has had enough. We seem to have been living in a Tupperware box for months. On the bright side, we're getting lots of wear out of our winter wardrobe and, if it carries on, we won't need to waste any money buying anything for summer. The sales at the end of summer should be good and we'll get some bargains.

And I don't have to endure it much longer!

I just get the feeling everyone has gone soft. I don't actually own what people would call a coat as such, I wear a tshirt and like a lightly padded shirt on top. April has been crappy but it's been very mild apart from that, the winter was incredibly mild and we hardly touched our log store as it just wasn't worth lighting a fire. Even our Brisbane born and bred kids haven't complained about it. Having said that though as I say up north is a very different matter.