Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

WRooney

After applying for Citizenship, can I leave Australia?

Recommended Posts

You need to get someone to check your mail - invitations to citizenship ceremonies come in the post.


Feb 2010 Prospective Marriage Visa | Nov 2010 Temporary Partner Visa | Nov 2012 Permanent Partner Visa | Jan 2015 Australian Citizenship

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My council asked me to RSVP by a certain date (including any guests) because they have to do preparations, so I would guess if you don't RSVP they won't include you. If you've got someone checking your post though, it's only a matter of them providing you the phone number and you making a quick call, not a big drama.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
You need to get someone to check your mail - invitations to citizenship ceremonies come in the post.

 

Mine came through email. I didn't get anything through the post and it specifically said in the email that this was the only contact/invite I would receive. This is in Sydney, it may vary by council.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All - I understand that I can travel on my foreign passport between the time of the decision and the ceremony as long as my travel rights associated with the PR have not expired.

What I would like to understand is the meaning of 'being in Australia' at the time the citizenship decision is made.

Is this about maintaining a permanent address (so that I can receive the decision) ?

Or am I not even allowed to leave the country for a short holiday / last minute business trip in case the decision is made whilst I am away ?

If I left for a short break without advising, how could the Immigration feed this back to our application and how could this possibly affect the decision ?

Has anyone had any experience leaving after the test but before the decision is made ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 31/01/2016 at 14:17, Quinkla said:

As others say, you can travel. I applied and left for a holiday in Cambodia before I sat the test. Then I went on holiday to Japan whilst waiting for a ceremony.

Hey Quinkla,

Do you need to notify them on planned holidays or as long as you can make it to the test - it's ok?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/11/2017 at 17:05, AJD2095 said:

All - I understand that I can travel on my foreign passport between the time of the decision and the ceremony as long as my travel rights associated with the PR have not expired.

What I would like to understand is the meaning of 'being in Australia' at the time the citizenship decision is made.

Is this about maintaining a permanent address (so that I can receive the decision) ?

Or am I not even allowed to leave the country for a short holiday / last minute business trip in case the decision is made whilst I am away ?

If I left for a short break without advising, how could the Immigration feed this back to our application and how could this possibly affect the decision ?

Has anyone had any experience leaving after the test but before the decision is made ?

You need to be physically in Australia for them to approve citizenship. They know if you are not so you need to let them know if you are travelling.  Sometimes approval is within 24 hours of the test, but some people have waited for months recently!  You can see on your on line account that it has been approved often before you get notification.  Then you wait for your council to contact you for the ceremony.

I hope our approval is quick as we are travelling to the UK hopefully the month after the test.  We will inform them of the dates when we book and remind them at the test just in case.


So many wineries ......so little time :yes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/04/2018 at 10:30, Sergio Vittoria said:

 

Hey Quinkla,

Do you need to notify them on planned holidays or as long as you can make it to the test - it's ok?

Hello, Quinkla,

Do you informed the IMMIGRATION before your holidays and if yes, how did you do it? What is the email name?

I am asking about the period between lodging the application and approving it by the Department.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You need to call your council and ask them when the next ceremony is and how they send out invites. They are not all the same. 

We are travelling soon after our approval and worried we would miss an invite. I called to check and explained they were really helpful. 


So many wineries ......so little time :yes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you inform the IMMIGRATION before your holidays and if yes, how did you do it? What is the email name?

I am asking about the period between lodging the application and approving it by the Department.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/04/2018 at 13:57, rammygirl said:

You need to be physically in Australia for them to approve citizenship. They know if you are not so you need to let them know if you are travelling.  Sometimes approval is within 24 hours of the test, but some people have waited for months recently!  You can see on your on line account that it has been approved often before you get notification.  Then you wait for your council to contact you for the ceremony.

I hope our approval is quick as we are travelling to the UK hopefully the month after the test.  We will inform them of the dates when we book and remind them at the test just in case.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does someone need to be in Australia when applying for citizenship i.e. when 4 years of stay are completed? What if the couple travels to home country for about 6-8 months during this time? Before this travel, the person has been continuously residing in Australia(with just 1 month holidays to home country once a year). After this 6-8 month travel, the intention is continue stay in Australia forever. One of the members of the couple has a full time job(say on maternity break when travelling to home country) whereas the other person is into business. They will keeping their permanent home(rental home) as they wish to come back to the same home.

Can this delay citizenship or can citizenship be denied for any reason in such circumstance?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am just enjoying reading the thread! When we applied we would have jumped through so many hoops to become citizens but it was all actually pretty straight forward. At the time we did it, I know it has now all changed so much. Our timeline was applied early June, sat test late June, citizenship ceremony July.  It has all changed now, times are so much longer, it was much simpler for us however, I will stress and emphasis, citizenship to us was incredibly important and our priority, we would not have been making any travel plans that could/would jeopardise it. You have to decide what is most important to you right now, leaving the country for an extended period of time will without doubt affect your ability to apply for citizenship and quite rightly so,  regardless of your reasons, Australia’s looking for people committing to stay and that does mean committing to living in the country.  Your time outside of Australia will undoubtedly go against you for your current citizenship application.  I would suggest you do what you need to do them make a firm commitment to live in OZ for the required time then apply each for citizenship at that point when you are able to make the commitments in the  true essence that is required by Australia.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×