Sydney Opal Card

Wooba

I was looking at the costs for a train from the airport to the CBD when we arrive and noticed there's a new system called Opal. It didn't exist last time I was there.

I looks like it's a rip off to use from the Airport Monday-Saturday, but it's worth while on a Sunday as well as for using transport in general while in Sydney. Luckily we're arriving on a Sunday.

It looks like it's easy to get one in the airport, but I can't find any information about how much it costs to buy. Is it free, just pay strictly for the credit?

Thanks

It is a rip off to use the train any day , including Sunday from Sydney Airport , although Sunday is slightly cheaper . The Airport levy applies to the train fare every day and is $13 per adult and $11.60 for children and pensioners , plus the relevant train fare ! , so using an Opal Card on a Sunday would cost $15.50 for adult and $14.10 for kids .The Opal Card is free and the only charge is your choice of credit amount to put on the card . It debits your credit per trip and is capped at $2.50 for all day Sunday travel , on other days other trip costs apply . The fares are calculated as you "tap" on and " tap " off on completion of your trip . Dependant on our how many travellers are in your party it may be quicker and cheaper to use a taxi .

Dave C

Edited by Dave53
Spelling

Yeah, that levy doesn't make sense. It's like they don't want you to use it any other day than Sunday. Very short sighted. There's only 2 of us however and we'll be using transport all week. Love the fact that this covers everything, including the boats so we'll get cards for sure.

Thanks for the clarification. I know in Melbourne I had to buy the card and put credit, so it's good that in Sydney the card is free.

Yeah, that levy doesn't make sense. It's like they don't want you to use it any other day than Sunday. Very short sighted.

Huh? The airport levy is the same every day. It's to recompense the company that built the private airport line.

It's the non-levy part of the fare that is cheaper on Sunday. All fares are cheaper on Sunday. Would you rather they were the same price as the rest of the week?

Huh? The airport levy is the same every day. It's to recompense the company that built the private airport line.

It's the non-levy part of the fare that is cheaper on Sunday. All fares are cheaper on Sunday. Would you rather they were the same price as the rest of the week?

Because of the levy, it's more expensive to use the train Monday to Saturday than just buying a ticket. Not an effective way to promote the opal card.

Because of the levy, it's more expensive to use the train Monday to Saturday than just buying a ticket. Not an effective way to promote the opal card.

This does not make sense. The opal fare to and from the airport is cheaper than buying a ticket on the day. Only by a smidgen but it is cheaper. The levy is not on the opal card...its on getting on or off at the airport stations.

You pretty much have to get the Opal card anyway as there are hardly any paper tickets left. And it's always the cheapest way to travel. Just like Oyster in London, you don't have to think about it too much, just do it

As others have said, the airport station levy is just an add-on to whatever type of ticket you use. It doesn't change (and yes, it's too expensive especially if travelling in a group). But it can't be avoided unless you use another mode of travel to go from the airport

• 2 weeks later...