Teaching in Brisbane query?

adamstoaus

We are moving to Brisbane in July, (fingers crossed our 189 visa's are approved any day now...!)

I am a secondary science teacher and I am trying to find out, if I teach at a semi-private or private independent school - will we receive a discount in school fees if our 3 children attend the same school?

Thanks for any info at all.

Tracey

At my school we received 50% fees for our son. I think this applies to each kid you send.

If if you want any extra info on teaching then feel free to PM me. :-). In short, I love it here.

Vanduex, did you seek employment when you arrived? Or did you do it from the UK? We have our fingers crossed for a grant over the next 2 or 3 months and hope to fly over in August time. I am hoping to move to QLD and have applied for teacher registration (not paid yet). I've signed up with Smart and even at this early stage constantly searching and having look at jobs online. Any advice? I am a design and technology teacher.

Many thanks.

Vanduex, did you seek employment when you arrived? Or did you do it from the UK? We have our fingers crossed for a grant over the next 2 or 3 months and hope to fly over in August time. I am hoping to move to QLD and have applied for teacher registration (not paid yet). I've signed up with Smart and even at this early stage constantly searching and having look at jobs online. Any advice? I am a design and technology teacher.

Many thanks.

i applied from Uk but had no luck. However I started to make contact with schools. I made up packs to send in. CV, with covering letter etc. Brief summary of work experience and roles. It's really important to try and get a dialogue going. Checking websites like SEEK and CareerOne as well. I made a favourites folder of job pages for loads of schools and just went through them on a daily basis to see what came up. SMART are good, worth keeping in touch with them and ANZuk seem to be growing as well.

Now I am here I can tell you that realistically you need your grant. No point in being considered until then as you are a gamble. That was some of the feedback I received.

:-)

i applied from Uk but had no luck. However I started to make contact with schools. I made up packs to send in. CV, with covering letter etc. Brief summary of work experience and roles. It's really important to try and get a dialogue going. Checking websites like SEEK and CareerOne as well. I made a favourites folder of job pages for loads of schools and just went through them on a daily basis to see what came up. SMART are good, worth keeping in touch with them and ANZuk seem to be growing as well.

Now I am here I can tell you that realistically you need your grant. No point in being considered until then as you are a gamble. That was some of the feedback I received.

:-)

Incredibly helpful thank you. I will continue with my research until the grant comes through. The favourites folder is an awesome idea and I will definitely start making up CV packs soon, so thanks again.

We are moving to Brisbane in July, (fingers crossed our 189 visa's are approved any day now...!)

I am a secondary science teacher and I am trying to find out, if I teach at a semi-private or private independent school - will we receive a discount in school fees if our 3 children attend the same school?

Thanks for any info at all.

Tracey

Sheldon College, not very much...my wife guesses her brother gets around 10% from what he said.

Friends at Brisbane Grammar say they get 50% off.

Also check out the Queensland job site - here you will find details of jobs in State schools (just in case you can't get anything decent in a private school):

https://smartjobs.qld.gov.au/jobtools/jncustomsearch.jobsearch?in_organid=14904

Get the registration in to the government as soon as is feasibly possible after you get the grant - it takes a few months and schools will want you to have this or you aren't really a viable option for employment.