Marisawright

Do people commute from Sunshine Coast to Brisbane?

I've been watching the latest episodes of Wanted Down Under and they are taking people to see houses on the Sunshine Coast, and researching job opportunities in Brisbane.

Have things changed? Time was that most Aussies wouldn't even consider commuting so far.

I worry that these families, if they do emigrate, will find it tough to make friends because their work colleagues in Brisbane will be living in Brisbane/Gold Coast. I noticed this with people who lived on the Central Coast and worked in Sydney - they were happy to come along to social events in Sydney, but very few of the Sydney people were willing to travel "all the way" to the Central Coast to go to a barbecue or party, so they were always a bit on the outer.

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Some do, must be absolutely awful though. Not sure why you would want to spend 20 hours a week to be closer to the beach when you could just drive there hassle free at the weekend when you desire.

Some do, must be absolutely awful though. Not sure why you would want to spend 20 hours a week to be closer to the beach when you could just drive there hassle free at the weekend when you desire.

Probably because they're "sold it" and don't think things through properly. If they think the commute's acceptable to them, then fine and good, good luck to 'em, but the time spent commuting must impeach on what SE Qld really has to offer other then beaches.

See my art here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.smugmug.com/

Copies free to PIO members. PM me for details.

I've been watching the latest episodes of Wanted Down Under and they are taking people to see houses on the Sunshine Coast, and researching job opportunities in Brisbane.

Have things changed? Time was that most Aussies wouldn't even consider commuting so far.

I worry that these families, if they do emigrate, will find it tough to make friends because their work colleagues in Brisbane will be living in Brisbane/Gold Coast. I noticed this with people who lived on the Central Coast and worked in Sydney - they were happy to come along to social events in Sydney, but very few of the Sydney people were willing to travel "all the way" to the Central Coast to go to a barbecue or party, so they were always a bit on the outer.

Yes many do make the commute but it would be a nightmare. Wanted Down Under does my head in, we don't watch it now but made an exception this morning, family from England somewhere wanting to go to Adelaide, when they got there neither of their qualifications were recognised, she would have been earning less, he would have been earning about the same, they would have been around £1100 worse off, houses they liked were more than their budget and they voted for Australia. I just don't get it.

Loving life in Gods Country. Woohoo, look at me. 

Guest Bora
Yes many do make the commute but it would be a nightmare. Wanted Down Under does my head in, we don't watch it now but made an exception this morning, family from England somewhere wanting to go to Adelaide, when they got there neither of their qualifications were recognised, she would have been earning less, he would have been earning about the same, they would have been around £1100 worse off, houses they liked were more than their budget and they voted for Australia. I just don't get it.

It's that Utopia thing again that only exists in the mind. Headonistic visions of paradise often clouds judgement and folk being only human, sometimes don't see it and end up learning the hard way.

You don't have to be better off in Australia to live in Australia.. Ever thought that people might just want to live there anyway?

You don't have to be better off in Australia to live in Australia.. Ever thought that people might just want to live there anyway?

I'm not sure I get what you mean. Surely if you're going to spend thousands of pounds, and bring your family thousands of miles, there has to be some benefit (tangible or intangible) to make all that worthwhile?

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

What I'm trying to say is that some people may be willing to lose out a bit to live somewhere they love (I'm not sticking up for Wanted down under). I just think it's silly to think that it's a must to be better off if you want to make the move.

What I'm trying to say is that some people may be willing to lose out a bit to live somewhere they love (I'm not sticking up for Wanted down under). I just think it's silly to think that it's a must to be better off if you want to make the move.

I guess it depends on your definition of "better off". It doesn't have to be a financial improvement, but it does have to be an improvement of some kind, surely. These are people who are moving for a "lifestyle" which they would presumably expect to include making new friends as well as enjoying the beach. It seems to me that setting yourself up for a long commute isn't the best way to achieve a work/life balance which seems to be what many people are looking for when they come to Oz.

Yeah I agree with Azh, and somewhat agree with Marisa too....Yes there should certainly be some benefit, but it doesn't have to be a financial one... If you can make the move and still have a decent life but maybe not have as much spare...that might be fine with some....maybe not enough for others.. However I notice that sometimes when it's said they're worse off... That's because it's worked out on a house which is a lot better than the one they'd have in the UK....

But I do think people can have unrealistic ideals or Pre conceived ideas of utopia....

Our own take is....we have naff all here....so I'd rather have naff all over there.....

''Don't bother searching for the light at the end of the tunnel.....march right up there and turn the b*stard thing on yourself.'' :wink:Sarah Millican

Yeah personally a long commute would be a huge no no to me x

''Don't bother searching for the light at the end of the tunnel.....march right up there and turn the b*stard thing on yourself.'' :wink:Sarah Millican

Yup.. I was kind of making my statement to the financial side things so I agree with most of what you guys have just said.

Back to topic.

my son commuted from the Sunshine Coast to Brisbane for years, he worked just near the top end of the Gympie Rd, ie. closest end to the s coast.

It used to take 1 hr to start with, but as North lakes has got bigger and bigger, it started to take over 11/2 hrs, and a nightmare if there was an accident.

Even if you leave at 6am the road is very busy.

He moved!!!

Yeah I agree with Azh, and somewhat agree with Marisa too....Yes there should certainly be some benefit, but it doesn't have to be a financial one... If you can make the move and still have a decent life but maybe not have as much spare...that might be fine with some....maybe not enough for others.. However I notice that sometimes when it's said they're worse off... That's because it's worked out on a house which is a lot better than the one they'd have in the UK....

But I do think people can have unrealistic ideals or Pre conceived ideas of utopia....

Our own take is....we have naff all here....so I'd rather have naff all over there.....

That last sentence is my husband's take on it too ( if we found cost of living very high there!) ..."Where would you rather be broke?!" Because even in 'good' jobs here ( from most people's perspective ) we can't get ahead here. We just tread water / slowly sinking lol!

Partner Visa 309/100 Applied for - 23/6/15CO assigned (WP) 1/9/15Medical Completed 29/12/15Police Check uploaded 12/01/16GRANTED 21/01/16!!!!