Settling in a 14 year old on run up to GCEs

dthomp

Hi All,

We are considering a possible move this year from UK to Aus and have 2 girls aged 12 and 14 as of today (happy birthday Alice !). Am a little concerned about her who will be starting her GCSE course / year 10 this September. Please does anyone have any experience moving older children at what could be a more critical time in their schooling, don't want to mess her future up. Also any idea how easy the transition might be in terms of subjects etc. She's abit of a swot and would never forgive me if I was seen to affect her exams and her future ! Not worried about the younger one.

Many thanks

Dominic

Well if you're moving to Australia GCSEs are irrelevant (foreign country, totally different system) - they don't have them. The final two years of Aus schooling are important so as long as they are in school ready to start at the beginning of year 11 (January) - which is when they are 16 or about to turn 16 (so Alice won't start yr 11 until 2018) - they'll be good to go.

OTOH if there is any chance that you won't settle in Aus then you will likely screw up her education as it isn't as easy to get back onto the GCSE merry go round as it is to step off. If, too, she fancies doing Uni in UK she might struggle to get into a half decent course at a half decent uni in UK with Aus yr 12 scores and even if she does, you will be paying through the nose for international student fees.

Yr 9 is one of those "Princess Bitchface" years and yr 9 girls can be merciless if you're trying to get into a social group but your kids are of an age where they will either like it or not - the older they are potentially the harder it will be.

Hi, we have a 13 & 15 year old and we are moving to Perth in May, by 15 year old is in year 10 and I think will go into Auz year 10 whereas my daughter is in year 9 in the UK but only just because of her DOB so will drop back to year 8 in Aus. I'll let you know how they get on later this year.

Laura xx

Well if you're moving to Australia GCSEs are irrelevant (foreign country, totally different system) - they don't have them. The final two years of Aus schooling are important so as long as they are in school ready to start at the beginning of year 11 (January) - which is when they are 16 or about to turn 16 (so Alice won't start yr 11 until 2018) - they'll be good to go.

OTOH if there is any chance that you won't settle in Aus then you will likely screw up her education as it isn't as easy to get back onto the GCSE merry go round as it is to step off. If, too, she fancies doing Uni in UK she might struggle to get into a half decent course at a half decent uni in UK with Aus yr 12 scores and even if she does, you will be paying through the nose for international student fees.

Yr 9 is one of those "Princess Bitchface" years and yr 9 girls can be merciless if you're trying to get into a social group but your kids are of an age where they will either like it or not - the older they are potentially the harder it will be.

Pretty much agree with this although moving back to the UK wouldn't be quite as drastic - FE colleges are brilliant at getting young people back on track even if they end up going to university a year or two after their peers but that really doesn't matter.

I would worry more about them socially than academically but I worried a lot about my son when we moved back to the UK when he was 10 and it was a breeze - it'll help if they are keen to make the move though.

I think to start in Year 10 here would be really good. The real hard work starts in Year 11 and going into year 10 would give a year's grace, so to speak. Having said that, Year 11 isn't that pressured though year 12 can be. Mainly through the kids and their parents though- it isn't THAT bad!

Hi All,

We are considering a possible move this year from UK to Aus and have 2 girls aged 12 and 14 as of today (happy birthday Alice !). Am a little concerned about her who will be starting her GCSE course / year 10 this September. Please does anyone have any experience moving older children at what could be a more critical time in their schooling, don't want to mess her future up. Also any idea how easy the transition might be in terms of subjects etc. She's abit of a swot and would never forgive me if I was seen to affect her exams and her future ! Not worried about the younger one.

Many thanks

Dominic

It's a difficult time, but it won't get any better over the next few years. When you say you're not worried about the younger one, does that mean you're happy to screw up her education? I'd say if you are going to go, go now. But the pressure is on to make it work. It's your kids future at stake.

My cousin migrated to Melbourne from Scotland a few years ago with 15 year old twin daughters. They never had any problems whatsoever at school here and both completed university and now have very good jobs.

It's not the migration so much. Although you wouldn't want to enter during year 11/12. It's the changing your mind and going back that would cause the issues. Final years education is a major thing. If you stuff it up, it could prevent your child from getting a career they've set their heart on. It needs careful consideration. You really need to consider why you are making these changes.

It's much easier to do it with no kids, younger kids or older kids. 14/15 is a critical age.

Success stories don't really help. Your more likely to learn from other people's mistakes.

Hi All,

Many thanks

Dominic

Not sure where you are heading but if you were coming to WA your daughter would be in year 9 this year so you have a little bit of time before it becomes a concern. 11/12 are the most important years but IMO year 10 is just as important as performance during this year is used by the schools as to whether they allow kids to study certain subjects in years 11/12. Don't do well in year 10 and they may not be able to study a certain subject at a certain level in 11/12. Private schools are particularly bad for this.

If you are going to come come this year, if you can't then I would be seriously reconsidering my options.

It's not the migration so much. Although you wouldn't want to enter during year 11/12. It's the changing your mind and going back that would cause the issues. Final years education is a major thing. If you stuff it up, it could prevent your child from getting a career they've set their heart on. It needs careful consideration. You really need to consider why you are making these changes.

It's much easier to do it with no kids, younger kids or older kids. 14/15 is a critical age.

Success stories don't really help. Your more likely to learn from other people's mistakes.

Why because it can work out just fine

If you delay now because of the older child you'll probably then have to wait for the younger child with the same situation

Probably end up with regrets either way

But you can't win if you think about it too much

Do what you think is right for you and your family and stand by it however it turns out

Why because it can work out just fine

If you delay now because of the older child you'll probably then have to wait for the younger child with the same situation

Probably end up with regrets either way

But you can't win if you think about it too much

Do what you think is right for you and your family and stand by it however it turns out

Which is why I said go now if you want to go.

Generally, in many situations, positive stories aren't helpful.

If I want to buy car x, what do people think? I'm not interested if people have had a good experience with car x. It's unlikely all of car x were bad. I want to know the horror stories so I know what to look out for.

Which is why I said go now if you want to go.

Generally, in many situations, positive stories aren't helpful.

If I want to buy car x, what do people think? I'm not interested if people have had a good experience with car x. It's unlikely all of car x were bad. I want to know the horror stories so I know what to look out for.

Well we have plenty doom and gloom posters to offer help here then

So you prefer someone to tell you how bad something is and not hear the positives

I find that strange

Hows the UK doing

Aus is great so glad we gave it a go after hearing so many positives

From an educator's perspective, joining year 10 is not too much of a problem as a student can still adapt and succeed within the time frame. However, joining year 11 or 12 can and does put a child's education at some risk.

Thanks for this. Just to be sure, Year 11 is when they start the year the January after they turn 16?

Thanks for this. Just to be sure, Year 11 is when they start the year the January after they turn 16?

It also depends which state you will be in.

For example, in WA, the student starts year 11 at age 16, or at age 15 if they will turn 16 before the cut off date of June 30th (in the same year of starting).

All states have different cut off dates.

Edited by Sammy1

Well we have plenty doom and gloom posters to offer help here then

So you prefer someone to tell you how bad something is and not hear the positives

I find that strange

Hows the UK doing

Aus is great so glad we gave it a go after hearing so many positives

It's not doom and gloom, it's telling people where the issues are, like Sammy1's post above.

Sammy's post is helpful.

I think you need to get off the defensive high horse.

Immigration isn't an easy thing, it does have repercussions, if you don't approach it with an open mind. Forewarned is forearmed.

Depends on their birth dates. Cut off dates range from 30 April to 31 July depending on states so a kid in NSW could theoretically be 15:6 at the start of yr 11 but pragmatically not many would!

Depends on their birth dates. Cut off dates range from 30 April to 31 July depending on states so a kid in NSW could theoretically be 15:6 at the start of yr 11 but pragmatically not many would!

I'm trying to understand how they are so different. My daughter is the oldest in her cohort here in WA and is about to start year 8. The cut off is 30th June here. By the time she starts year 11 she will be 16 years and 7 months. Do they really start school school a year earlier in NSW that would make a NSW year 11 almost a full year younger.

I'm trying to understand how they are so different. My daughter is the oldest in her cohort here in WA and is about to start year 8. The cut off is 30th June here. By the time she starts year 11 she will be 16 years and 7 months. Do they really start school school a year earlier in NSW that would make a NSW year 11 almost a full year younger.

One of my children was born just before the cut off date here in WA. When he starts year 11 he will only be 15 years old.

He is always the youngest in his year level and when he finishes high school (year 12) he will only 17. There is a big difference around the country.

I think you need to get off the defensive high horse.

High horse what are you talking about??

I believe Sammy's post to be good also as coming from an educator's perspective

Too many who have done this and done that know it alls

I've just stated what we did and how it worked for us which was fact

But according to you because it worked for us we shouldn't have mentioned it

FFS

One of my children was born just before the cut off date here in WA. When he starts year 11 he will only be 15 years old.

He is always the youngest in his year level and when he finishes high school (year 12) he will only 17. There is a big difference around the country.

OK, I get it now. Basically the same as an August baby in the UK. You can tell I am ready for the end of the school holidays!!!!

Edited by northernbird

Yup, a universal cut off date would make infinite sense! However when you have states making their own decisions you get a dog's breakfast! Cut off for NSW is 31 July. 30 April in ACT and Vic. We used to have real trouble with NSW kids coming into ACT!

High horse what are you talking about??

I believe Sammy's post to be good also as coming from an educator's perspective

Too many who have done this and done that know it alls

I've just stated what we did and how it worked for us which was fact

But according to you because it worked for us we shouldn't have mentioned it

FFS

I don't remember commenting on your original post. In fact, I didn't.

But for the record, having had a failed migration, I get a bit annoyed by the 'she'll be right' brigade.

Emigrating is a difficult thing. It is more successful when it's approached with open eyes.

Edited by newjez