After school activities for kids aged 6-9. What are your thoughts?

Wojtek

Hi :)

Was wondering, are there a lot of after school activities for kids aged 6-9? I have a small sports related business for children here in Poland, and am wondering what chances something like that would have in Oz.

In short. As schools from what I remember finish at 3pm, was considering doing in Oz the same as here in Wroclaw. Kids have two classes. Sports class from 3-3.45 and art class so they can cool down - from 3.45-5.00pm (for small kids 45mins of sport is enough, and then 1.15mins of art class). In the beginning of art class sandwiches and water/juice so they dont go on an empty stomach.

I know I shouldnt roll out business ideas on an open forum, but would be glad if You, as parents, could give me feedback: would you see something like that as an attractive offer for your children? The classes would take place at the school the kids go to, so there would be no transport between the school and these lessons.

I have been doing something like this here in Poland with kids only in english, and that hit off pretty well. Am curious if Australia would have a similar feedback by the parents as there are completely different things here and there, more possibilities in Australia?

The cost woud be something around 40-50dollars for the two hours per child, and that would be with the food and juice for the kids (price dependant on the costs of classroom rental, art/sports teacher for the class etc).

What are your thoughts? All feedback appreciated!

Woj.

Sounds good but what you need to remember is lots of kids already go to after school care which goes from school finish until 6.30 in some places, will be around $25-30 and the parents will get half that cost back if they qualify for CCR which the majority would. If you were running it as Out of School hours care you would also need qualified staff.

Edited by AJ

Sounds good but what you need to remember is lots of kids already go to after school care which goes from school finish until 6.30 in some places, will be around $25-30 and the parents will get half that cost back if they qualify for CCR which the majority would. If you were running it as Out of School hours care you would also need qualified staff.

30$ for 3.5hrs?

Great idea. Just be aware that lots of schools already run after school sports and arts activities with their own teachers , quite often free, or for a nominal five to ten dollars an hour to cover basic costs.

I would see your activity working in a higher socio economic area as the fee you quote is quite high. Again though, any private schools in that area would run their own activities.

After school activities are very popular, but it will be about finding your market and choosing the location carefully and considering the fee you plan to charge.

Yes. When I lived in Melbourne there was afterschool care held in the school that only cost me $17 from 3pm till 6pm and I got half that back. A full days daycare for preschool kids is around $100 and that can be from 6.30am till 6.30pm if you need it. So your pricing is a bit out.

Great idea. Just be aware that lots of schools already run after school sports and arts activities with their own teachers , quite often free, or for a nominal five to ten dollars an hour to cover basic costs.

I would see your activity working in a higher socio economic area as the fee you quote is quite high. Again though, any private schools in that area would run their own activities.

After school activities are very popular, but it will be about finding your market and choosing the location carefully and considering the fee you plan to charge.

Thank you. That is the info I was looking for as I simply wasnt aware if after school activities were organised for the younger kids. The 40-50dollar mark was a question mark as I have no idea s to the costs of classroom and gym hall rental, also hr rate for the teachers etc. But knowing that there are a lot of after school activitoes organised shows that I will have a bit of a challenge!

Thank you. That is the info I was looking for as I simply wasnt aware if after school activities were organised for the younger kids. The 40-50dollar mark was a question mark as I have no idea s to the costs of classroom and gym hall rental, also hr rate for the teachers etc. But knowing that there are a lot of after school activitoes organised shows that I will have a bit of a challenge!

Schools generally (in Western Australia) only charge a nominal (small) fee for renting out a room/assembly area for an hour or two, so that would not cost you much.

A lot of schools also have outside small businesses/local people running karate classes etc on the school premises. Parents like after school activities.

Find an area that does not offer many activities or a school that offers none and then you have a good chance of making it work.

Less than that at my after school club. 3 till 6 for $30 or under

Thats incredible, in a positive sense. Im looking at it from a parents point of view. Here the amount I paid for renting the gym hall and classroom, also two teachersmes! Even if it doesnt work out, atleast I'll be happy paying that much to give our two kids after school activities!

I would look at small private schools - there were lots of after school clubs in the area we lived, mostly attached to day care centres but they only picked up at the state schools. The larger private schools had there own but not at my sons school and it was always a challenge for us - we were paying $25 an hour for a nanny in the end.

30$ for 3.5hrs?

We pay $20 for our OSHC care after school. Thats from 3:10pm to as late as 6:15pm. They play games, sports, read, craft get a snack and so on. And we claim some of that back so its probably closer to half that.

Lots of schools already run after school sports clubs when school finishes. Or organisations comes in and run them via the school. Our school as a local tennis club run tennis lessons during certain terms, same with footy and cricket. Also the school itself runs soccer and netball and one or two other things.

We use the after house school care but not the sport as we prefer to do our sports clubs apart from school and so running after 6pm and on weekends. This is because son then plays matches for his local club through the season and so on. And we get involved as a family in these too. They've been good to build up a network of friends and other things. Also hubby now plays footy for the same club and cricket is at the same location.

We also do something called Little Athletics here which has been brilliant and covers a lot of track and field sports.

The school my kids go to run an out of school hours care after school until 6:15pm and they get the use of the school facilities during most of this time. The school also run after school sports that are either free or have a small charge if an external provider is brought in to run them.

After the out of hours care closes (or just a bit before) other clubs can, and do, then use the facilities. My youngest went to gymnastics classes in the school hall from 6pm until 7pm for a while. We only paid $5 a session.