Perth Boom Fades, Not High Prices

flag of convenience

Well drinks are the same or cheaper than Sydney. When I go out a wine will cost around $6 - 8. I originally moaned that travel was expensive but it's actually not. Some of my journeys have been really cheap compared to back home. I can't get 10 or 15 minutes away from home for much less than a fiver. Can't speak about the serious stuff like house prices. Eating out - still haven't decided on that one but definitely not more expensive than Sydney. Or at least the places that I've went. And when I convert in my head (I know I shouldn't!) it's never usually that much more expensive than back home. Although some things are dear like breakfasts

You are kidding right! I travel to Perth monthly and live in Sydney. Excluding Property Perth is 20-25% more expensive than Sydney. Went out for a few drinks with a friend over Xmas to many places and nowhere did 2 drinks for less than $20 and we weren't drinking cocktails. Groceries, eating out etc all more expensive.

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are kidding right! I travel to Perth monthly and live in Sydney. Excluding Property Perth is 20-25% more expensive than Sydney. Went out for a few drinks with a friend over Xmas to many places and nowhere did 2 drinks for less than $20 and we weren't drinking cocktails. Groceries, eating out etc all more expensive.

what sort of drinks?!

what sort of drinks?! Oh sorry you said 2 drinks. I thought you said one. Well Sydney I was paying $8 - 9 for a glass of wine, think 10 one time. In Perth the most I've paid is 8 so I haven't found it more expensive for that.

I don't sit and look at all the groceries but I haven't picked up on a difference on those yet either. I do find I spend a lot of money over here though, it just seems to disappear. Although I'm trying to be careful now

My experience as well. Prices are already rather high in Sydney but Perth really takes the cake. If this thread is any indication of the ambiguity and nonchalance expressed on a wider Perth scale by those living here I'm afraid we are in for a very hard trot.

There are a few pubs that do drinks for under $10. But you need to know where you are going.

Last Friday I was in a pub and it was $8.50 a pint all night. I then got the free train home.

If this thread is any indication of the ambiguity and nonchalance expressed on a wider Perth scale by those living here I'm afraid we are in for a very hard trot.

But look on the bright side. All the negative people that want to moan about prices are at home moaning about prices.

All the people that don't care and want to have a fun night, are in the pubs, having a fun night.

It is what it is....what can you do about it? Choose your venues carefully is all. You can choose to be ripped off or choose to hunt out the good value venues.

Complain about the costs of the things you need. But surely one cannot complain about spending money on what one wants! which really is a personal choice for both the product and cost.

Corkage on BYO wine is a strange thing too, they say it is because they have to provide and clean glass's, well I drink their water for free and they have to do more to provide for that than they do for wine.

I don't mind corkage where it is reasonable. Restaurants make much more margin on drinks than they do on food, I get that. Taking a table without drinks means their margin earning opportunity for that scarce table resource has been limited, I get that too. So chucking in what amounts to a tip to compensate them for that opportunity cost, no worries

I went in one restaurant here locally where their corkage charge was pretty much the cost of a bottle of wine though. $5 a glass IIRC. They soon changed that policy when their custom dropped, people who thought they were taking the p1ss just didn't eat there, and the only ones who did were folks insisting on drinking tap water only, which of course they have to provide FOC

I found Newtown, Leichhardt and small surrounding suburbs very good value and good quality food whenever I ate out there. Sydney city (except for the Chinatown area) is more expensive and not value for money spent I thought.

Sydney City covers a multitude of sins and a wide area so there are cheap pockets and expensive ones, and places the same. Lots of the pubs in the CBD are as cheap as you'll find anywhere. And even in expensive areas (eg Circular Quay) there's variance - almost everywhere on the west (Rocks) side is expensive, east (Opera House) side much less so

I don't find Sydney *that* expensive for eating or drinking, but I wouldn't call it cheap either. $40-$50 for a meal with drink for 2 in a pub, $100 for 2 courses with extras (coffee etc), $200 if you're pushing the boat out. I think that's OK, no more expensive than England

Beer is $9-$10 a pint for craft beer, $7 ish if you're on schooners (most pubs here don't serve pints). Cooking lager (Carlton etc) can be had for $5.50-$6 for a schooner. Again it's England comparable. Best beer deal in Sydney is Happy Hour in the Pyrmont Bridge Hotel, $5 a pint for everything including a wide range of craft beer. Can't fault that :-)

I don't drink wine in pubs as it's always grossly overpriced (sorry, not buying a glass of wine for $8 that would cost a third of that bought in the bottleo), more so than beer. The markup by the bottle is less outrageous.

It is what it is....what can you do about it? Choose your venues carefully is all. You can choose to be ripped off or choose to hunt out the good value venues.

Rather a lot. For example I went into a café in North Perth last week while in the area for a coffee. One of my pet hates, a menu with no prices next to the various types of coffee on the menu. Far too common in Perth with the supposed assumption clients will be either too shy or cool to ask.

I tend to go through the menu asking the price of every item just to get up their nose. I have never had a satisfactory answer as to why such beverages do not have prices displayed. Coffee being an already over priced product I will not pay 50 cents more than the 'norm' for Perth.

Further if the coffee is not at the temperature I ask, being very hot, it is returned and I expect a cup delivered to requirements. Not always welcomed but the service industry is IMO in business not purely for their profit but to meet the requirements I ask and pay for.

I deplore shoddy service and mediocre food, unless in a canteen or similar and do return food if feel more extreme than the usual mediocre. If on the other hand I am pleasantly 'surprised ' by the offering I well equally give positive feed back, rare as that may be.

I do write up on the comments of eating establishments within WA in general and besides three stand out exceptions, two of those outside the Metro area, the rest range from mediocre to really don't bother open a tin of baked beans at home together with goon for a far more memorable and one twentieth the price.

I still haven't experienced a schooner. Is it bigger than a middie? we only had pints, middies and handles. I buy wine here because last time I asked how much vodka was it was more expensive and wine has more of a effect on me.. Typical backpacker :laugh:

Yes. It was pretty standard at one time in WA. Pints have in the past decade plus seemingly taken over to rule the roost. Just get out there and spend your Backpacker dollars. The economy needs it.

I've spent enough dollars! I'm starting to worry about the east coast now. Got rottnest to pay for and then I'm staying quiet after that. East Coast economy will get the rest of my money :(

East Coast is all about beach and party, hence can be difficult. Learn to love Goon and feast in the hostel and share a bunk. You'll keep more dough in your pocket that way

Nope the way I'm doing it isn't party. We've got a van and we're staying in powered campsites and we're doing the usual touristy stuff and some national parks. Here's been quite good because I've had a mix of going out and having a few drinks but nowhere that makes me feel uncomfortable. Made some nice friends, going there for drinks and a bbq and to stay over tonight

But look on the bright side. All the negative people that want to moan about prices are at home moaning about prices.

All the people that don't care and want to have a fun night, are in the pubs, having a fun night.

Fun in Perth? Are you totally insane? Even wondered why Perth Metro is so quiet? A city of 1.8 million. Most entertainment centred in a few locations. Equally very quiet as a rule between Sunday and Thursday nights. Just walk around the city on those nights and Northbridge to get my drift. Where exactly is everyone?