New limit of £35000 earning threshold for non eu migrants

bell123321

Just read about this in the Independent that they are going to raise the required earnings for people settling in the UK.

I think it is ridiculous I hardly know anyone who earns £35k a year.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/theresa-may-urged-to-rethink-new-35000-earnings-threshold-for-non-eu-migrants-as-teachers-face-a6814841.html

Ouch. It's a good example of what we were talking about on some other threads, warning people not to bank on being able to sponsor a spouse or parent in the future (whether to come to Australia or to the UK). Everywhere seems to be making it more expensive and more difficult to get visas, it will be out of a lot of people's reach soon.

So shortly a café filled with 6 figure accountants trying to work out how to operate the self serve coffee machine?

Solicitors debating how to solve a complicated baby delivery

Architects trying to put up a brace wall while maintaining one hand on the contract the other on the calculator

Pilots running back to the controls after serving croissants and coffee to the above

Meanwhile whose fixing me toilet?

I cant load the whole article...but the first paragraph says non eu migrants who have been in the UK for 5 years will have to prove they earn over £35k.

I assume that's not relating to those with indefinite leave to remain?? Otherwise my poor teacher husband is getting deported in April! ( not that he'd care!)

So shortly a café filled with 6 figure accountants trying to work out how to operate the self serve coffee machine?

Solicitors debating how to solve a complicated baby delivery

Architects trying to put up a brace wall while maintaining one hand on the contract the other on the calculator

Pilots running back to the controls after serving croissants and coffee to the above

Meanwhile whose fixing me toilet?

A hard working British plumber.

Unless the UK has full employment why would you want to be giving away all your jobs to foreigners ?

Just read about this in the Independent that they are going to raise the required earnings for people settling in the UK.

I think it is ridiculous I hardly know anyone who earns £35k a year.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/theresa-may-urged-to-rethink-new-35000-earnings-threshold-for-non-eu-migrants-as-teachers-face-a6814841.html

Many recognised professionals, IT, engineering, medicine, architecture, many in the building trade.

It will hit nurses and teachers, but nurses are exempt, and are there many foreign teachers?

Don't know who will do the caring or cleaning though.

Many recognised professionals, IT, engineering, medicine, architecture, many in the building trade.

It will hit nurses and teachers, but nurses are exempt, and are there many foreign teachers?

Don't know who will do the caring or cleaning though.

I work in in the building trade, I'm an electrician and the only way an electrician will earn over £35k is with overtime or owning their own company. I'm self employed and get over that but the average for an approved electrician which is a higher qualified electrician which I am is around £27k on the books, and the course to become that qualified only has a 40% pass rate. And electricians are probably the highest paid of the trades in the UK. The only people on a building site on over £35k basic are project managers, site managers and formen, and even foremen would be pushed to earn over £35k.

I still don't understand what the issue is.

This should be good news.

Skyba, I'm guessing you are a Brit and would not appreciate a foreigner coming in and undercutting you so you lose your job.

This legislation will ensure that Brits and/or EU members get the jobs first and foremost.

I still don't understand what the issue is.

This should be good news.

Skyba, I'm guessing you are a Brit and would not appreciate a foreigner coming in and undercutting you so you lose your job.

This legislation will ensure that Brits and/or EU members get the jobs first and foremost.

It will ensure alot of people pay their taxes.

Low paid workers won't which is why they have set a hurdle to jump over.

Of course they will - plus by expanding the population they create a larger economy. I'm surprised you are advocating protectionism for low paid workers as that is normally the preserve of the far left - the right oppose it vehemently because it leads to higher wages, higher cost bases and general lack of competitiveness. Even much of the centre left has come to share this view.

I'm all for employee locals wherever possible rather than bringing in foreigners to do a job.

So many jobs are filled by foreigners that could easily be done by Australians.

Why on earth would you want low paid indians, pakistanis and the like coming in and hoovering up all the low paid jobs, forcing Brits onto the dole ?

Makes no sense to me.

Low paid workers won't which is why they have set a hurdle to jump over.

Nothing to do with that as low skilled Eastern Europeans enter with impunity. It is to give the appearance that they are doing something to control numbers. Something the tabloids have been broadcasting a long time and to put a dent in UKIP support.

I'm all for employee locals wherever possible rather than bringing in foreigners to do a job.

Why on earth would you want low paid indians, pakistanis and the like coming in and hoovering up all the low paid jobs, forcing Brits onto the dole ?

Makes no sense to me.

Where to begin?

First, you seem to have an assumption that any country has only a fixed number of jobs. This is wrong. More people generate more economic activity which generates more jobs. The greater the range of skills, innovation and flexibility you have in the labour market, the stronger your economy will be.

Imagine your village. If you didn't bring in outsiders, it would still have a blacksmith, a butcher, a merchant, a priest, a teacher, a lawyer, a farmer and a lot of labourers. But bring in outside workers and you have more flexibility so some of the labourers can spend time with the teacher, getting educated and then maybe go off and work on "project electricity". Once you have electricity, you can automate a lot of the labour - and possibly the blacksmith, and then get people engaged on "project combustion engine". Then you have mobility and the merchant can get better stuff to sell, which will attract more people which will grow the economy. You create a virtuous cycle. But if you put up the barriers and prevent movement and free trade, you will choke the economy, get beaten for efficiency by freer markets and your expensive workers will lose their jobs anyway.

I guess that's why we have economists to run the economy and we leave Team BNP to run the hate campaigns.

Makes no sense to me.

Just how many 'low skilled ' people from the Sub Continent get in? Very few. Brits on the dole? Look no further than cheap European labour long coming in from al points East.

Unless you are a Barnardos orphan - in which case I am sorry - then it is your parents who did what you are trying to deny others the opportunity to do. Plus, you hardly seem to have made much of a fist of assimilation, given your continuing pre-occupation with British expat forums and British politics.

Apology accepted.