Think I'm ready to go home

annmarieyates273

Boo Hoo! Cry me a river. What a bunch of whingeing Poms. For God's sake go home and stop giving us a bad name.

You could always not read posts on MBTTUK, just saying! :wink:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Literally the first hit on google offers whinging as an acceptable, though less common, variant.

Language is evolving peeps, which is why some words supercede others... ;)

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Whinging

At least you realised the irony Lambeth! I'll let the Pom thing slide...

I still think it's whinge not whing as in hinge not hing. Anyway, I now claim the world record for using the word whingeing the most times in one sentence.

• 2 weeks later...
We are all different, some look all the time and think about moving here and there. My parents mad. I am an impetuous person but I have trained myself to think about things later. Two lists what do you like about living here what do you like about living there. Another list of non negotiable living requirements.

I hear so many people saying they belong but I do not feel that when I go over there now. Its not the England I knew and never will be agan. I do not feel comfortable over there at all. Its just the same as anywhere else now, mixed up people and problems, the British way has long gone.

Also I would consider where its safer to live these days. I can only look with sadness at all the attacks that are going on. With the open emigration policies of the last decade its silly to think that this is not going to be the cause of a lot of problems. Yep we can say we will take no notice and not let them win, but they will by stealth and single acts, people will stop moving around, going out etc.

Aus has its problems too and we are not immune but we do not have such a footprint on the world map as Euorope and UK.

I agree that I felt safer and this is a concern for us and I am mindful when we go to popular places and try to avoid big events and even shopping malls these days. We went to the Australian Zoo which I guess is a popular attraction in Oz and did not have any concerns about safety. I feel things can happen anywhere and there have been incidents in Oz but I have to admit to feeling the risk is a lot less.

I guess a sense of belonging also results from family also here and where you were raised, for me it is.

I agree that I felt safer and this is a concern for us and I am mindful when we go to popular places and try to avoid big events and even shopping malls these days. We went to the Australian Zoo which I guess is a popular attraction in Oz and did not have any concerns about safety. I feel things can happen anywhere and there have been incidents in Oz but I have to admit to feeling the risk is a lot less.

I guess a sense of belonging also results from family also here and where you were raised, for me it is.

Sorry I posted in the wrong thread

• 2 weeks later...
Interesting to read some of these posts as someone who is planning to move out to Australia. The difference for me is that I have moved out of the UK already, having been living in Switzerland for 5 years. With regards to missing home I have those feelings in Switzerland, so these points are nothing surprising. The points on supermarkets being bad is a interesting one as supermarkets are a big part of UK culture. The UK does enjoy a huge amount of choice and at cheap prices in fact. Cost of living is indeed something which I am apprehensive about in Australia. This for me is counteracted by:

the thought of living within half an hour drive of a beach;

living in what is essentially a holiday destination;

sunshine;

international culture and food (Melbourne);

an economy that has expanded for the last 26 years+ but still with opportunities to progress further and develop more;

loads of space and the possibility of buying a house at an affordable price;

jobs a plenty and a desire to retain people;

a country that is close to Asia in proximity and relations;

outdoor living and sport at its heart;

consistently being ranked one of the best education and health care systems in the world.

This is to name just a few things. Anything to add ? :)

Hmmmm I'd be very careful if you've compiled the list for Melbourne.....

* yes you might live within half an hour of the beach but the water here is freezing

* I don't think of Melbourne as a holiday destination and would never recommend friends come here on holiday - fine if you combine it with other Australian cities but wouldn't bother if you just want to see Melbourne. It's a long way to come and I think you'd be disappointed if you were coming here for a holiday

* sunshine..... ha!! what's that!! Yes we have some lovely days but it's grey and cold (ok not as cold as the UK) for at least seven months of the year. Right now as I type it's chucking it down outside

* international culture and food - I would say the food in Melbourne is good but I wouldn't say it's great.

* the economy seems to be reliant on property prices which are so seriously over inflated. It is fairly buoyant but don't expect that to necessarily translate into jobs

* "possibility of buying a house at a reasonable price" HAHAHAHAHAHA are you joking????? Prices here are as expensive as London

* there are jobs here but the process of getting one is near on impossible. It takes a long time and I've found that a lot of companies demand and expect Australian experience, so if you are a newcomer you'll fall down on that one

* personally I think the medical system here is good (but I'm still able to use Medicare without paying the levy) and you can usually see your GP on the same day that you call for an appointment (unlike the UK). I'm pregnant at the moment and have been seriously impressed by the standard of the service. That said there's nothing like NCT here so if you are a first time mum you'll have to find your own support network of other new and first time mums

Hmmmm I'd be very careful if you've compiled the list for Melbourne.....

* yes you might live within half an hour of the beach but the water here is freezing

* I don't think of Melbourne as a holiday destination and would never recommend friends come here on holiday - fine if you combine it with other Australian cities but wouldn't bother if you just want to see Melbourne. It's a long way to come and I think you'd be disappointed if you were coming here for a holiday

* sunshine..... ha!! what's that!! Yes we have some lovely days but it's grey and cold (ok not as cold as the UK) for at least seven months of the year. Right now as I type it's chucking it down outside

* international culture and food - I would say the food in Melbourne is good but I wouldn't say it's great.

* the economy seems to be reliant on property prices which are so seriously over inflated. It is fairly buoyant but don't expect that to necessarily translate into jobs

* "possibility of buying a house at a reasonable price" HAHAHAHAHAHA are you joking????? Prices here are as expensive as London

* there are jobs here but the process of getting one is near on impossible. It takes a long time and I've found that a lot of companies demand and expect Australian experience, so if you are a newcomer you'll fall down on that one

* personally I think the medical system here is good (but I'm still able to use Medicare without paying the levy) and you can usually see your GP on the same day that you call for an appointment (unlike the UK). I'm pregnant at the moment and have been seriously impressed by the standard of the service. That said there's nothing like NCT here so if you are a first time mum you'll have to find your own support network of other new and first time mums

Your last point isn't true - your local MCHN put you in touch with a group of new Mum's when your baby is born. And it's free (unlike the NCT).

Just to second Melbkitty's point. When your baby is born you will come under the care of your local Maternal and Child Health nurse who will usually do an initial visit at home and then you will go to her clinic for regular baby development checks, weighing, help with breast feeding etc etc. She will link you up with a group of other people in your area who have had their first child recently and you will see them regularly - either at sessions organised by her or by the group depending on your council area. Maternal and Child Health nurses work for the council - which is why you have not been near one yet. The hospital alerts them to the birth and they come and find you.....

Not the first time I have read this but we have no problem getting a GP appointment same day here and others have said the same. I'm sure there are places where you can't do this though.

Hi annmarieyates273

I know exactly what you mean. I am going through the same feelings. I have lived in South Australia for 20 years. Its been good to me, its very pretty, I live 2 minutes to the beach, I have two gorgeous dogs, a permanent job as a teacher, 15 years before teaching I was in the film industry. Oz has been kind to me BUT I just came back from the UK after spending 3 1/2 weeks with my parents, visiting my brother in Kent and met my three nephews for the first time and stayed with my oldest dearest friend in Gloucestershire and for the first time in 20 years, I felt and continue to feel this incredible pull to go home. Its not because I am a nationalist because that is the furthest from the truth. I truly appreciate the landscapes here and the ocean and my incredible colleagues and friends but Australia has become what I believe, one of the most racist and right wing countries on earth. It treats its first peoples with nauseating disdain, treats refugees like economic travellers and there is nothing left of its politics except to be a neoliberal capitalist. I know that the UK is the home of the class system, massive poverty, a very long human rights injustice record, home of Julian Assange cooped up in the Ecuadorian embassy and a colonial history that is second to none but it is by far much more open and honest about what it is than Australia. I feel that I cannot live in a country that is so inhumane not just to the first people of this country but to those escaping unimaginable hardships and horrors. This is is a country where the Labour party is so far right wing now that there is no line of difference between them and the Liberal party. I see promising things happening in the UK, far greater multiculturalism and far more politics being debated than I have ever heard here. I worked in Aboriginal rights for two years which was both eye opening and life changing. I won't be able to go back, without a job and enough money to take my two doggies. So yes I understand exactly what you are feeling. Its fairly likely that you have different reasons and feelings to me but ostensibly, the pull to go back is the same.

Very touching post. Gave me goosebumps reading it. The reasons you mentioned are exactly why we are considering returning in a few years and the feeling of never being accepted as part of the community.