North Brisbane meet-ups

PatW

Just arrived from overseas or been here a while?

... and miss the family left behind

... would love to have a chat, a natter, a yarn and share a bbq

... would love to talk with others that have been through the same

... and start to make new friends?

Then come and join us and others at the Aurora Boulevard Park, Aurora Boulevard, North Lakes from 2pm Saturday 30 January 2016, until you have to go.

BYO food, drinks, etc. (There are free electric bbqs available.)

We would love to see you there and will make you most welcome!

(About 16 families - with and without children - usually come, from all parts of UK so there should be an accent/region you recognise!)

Organised by me and OH who made the move some years ago and know that making new friendships and networks are important in the first year or 3.

PM me if you have queries.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
... and the next get-together will be Saturday 2 July 2016, again from 2pm til you have to go, at the same place; Aurora Boulevard Park, Aurora Boulevard, North Lake

You'd be very welcome!

Pat & Bob

hi there

are there any more meet ups planned? We are a family of 3 moving to North lakes later this week. We have only been in Australia for a few weeks. Thanks

Hello Birch4

Sure are! Saturday 17 September (at the start of the Queensland spring school holidays), from 2pm til you have to go, at Aurora Boulevard Park, Aurora Boulevard (behind Bounty Boulevard School), North Lakes. BYO food, drinks, etc.

Any questions - about the meet up or learning to live in Australia - or if you want to meet up for a cuppa before September, pm me. (We've been here a few more years.)

If you haven't already, remember to get tax file numbers from the ATO (Australian Taxation Office), sign on with Medicare (NHS equivalent) and Centrelink (for child benefits, if applicable), Main Roads for Qld driving licences ... and probably a few other bits if you want to chat.

Pat

Hello Birch4

Sure are! Saturday 17 September (at the start of the Queensland spring school holidays), from 2pm til you have to go, at Aurora Boulevard Park, Aurora Boulevard (behind Bounty Boulevard School), North Lakes. BYO food, drinks, etc.

Any questions - about the meet up or learning to live in Australia - or if you want to meet up for a cuppa before September, pm me. (We've been here a few more years.)

If you haven't already, remember to get tax file numbers from the ATO (Australian Taxation Office), sign on with Medicare (NHS equivalent) and Centrelink (for child benefits, if applicable), Main Roads for Qld driving licences ... and probably a few other bits if you want to chat.

Pat

Hi Pat,

that would be great! We will defo come along to the meet up in September. We have done most of what you have suggested. Our Medicare cards came this week to my cousins and we have sorted the driving licenses and tax code I think my husband was dealing with that part. Moving to North Lakes tomorrow so I'll be in touch. We are not going to be far from that primary school I think. We are a five minute walk from the rugby playing fields with the bbq area at the back - if my memory serves me correctly - thanks! Lisa

• 4 weeks later...

Hi we are also new to Oz & the North Lakes area, family of four (two boys aged 4 & 1 yrs) arrived on 13 Aug . We live very close to the park too and look forward to meeting up with this group on 17 Sept. Thanks for organising this its just what we need. Pat - how do I PM you as it would be good to meet up before this if you are free. Thanks. Elizabeth & family

Hi we are also new to Oz & the North Lakes area, family of four (two boys aged 4 & 1 yrs) arrived on 13 Aug . We live very close to the park too and look forward to meeting up with this group on 17 Sept. Thanks for organising this its just what we need. Pat - how do I PM you as it would be good to meet up before this if you are free. Thanks. Elizabeth & family

Hi Ozzieb! We moved to North Lakes in October last year - myself, my husband and our 3 1/2 yr old son. We live pretty close to Bounty Boulevard School and would love a play date! Our son goes to kindy three days a week and my husband does shift work but just let me know when you're free and hopefully we can work something out!

Hello CharlieV

Welcome to you, too! Get-together/bbq is open to you and the family, too, if you'd like to come along. It's just an opportunity for people to meet potential new friends, start to make networks and ask questions about how it all works.

What part of London were you?

Hi I've been in Scarborough since June with my two teenage sons and hubby still back in scotland..I don't really know anyone outside of work and need to throw myself out there...is it OK if we or just myself pop along on the 17th? I'm planning a move north lakes way in couple of months too!! I will be the lost one who will hopefully not wander to wrong group of people lol

Hello

Welcome to Brisbane! Goodness, that's hard being here with 2 teenage sons, starting work, settling the boys & OH still back in Scotland. Of course you can come along - it isn't just for those living in/near North Lakes, but for anyone who's recently arrived (or not so recently) and wants to meet people, start to make new networks & hopefully some new friends. It's just that there are a lot of ex-pats living in NL, so it's a convenient place to meet, but by no means the only place people are living.

Last get-together 2 newcomer families had been here only about 6 weeks and all newcomers are made very welcome - I promise you won't be left on your own. BYO food, drinks, etc and there are free electric bbqs to use if you want to. We (OH Bob and I) plan to get a 'shelter shed' (tables/chairs set up with cover over) and then hang flags from it, so you should see us (and there are only 3 shelter sheds within the park). PM me if you need to. Look forward to seeing you. Pat

(I'll PM you my mobile, in case you need it on the day.)

Thanks PatW, the meet up sounds great! We lived in Godalming, Surrey but my parents moved here to Oz about 8 years ago and since then we'd been on lots of holidays to visit them then decided to make the move ourselves! So far so good!

Hello CharlieV

Welcome to you, too! Get-together/bbq is open to you and the family, too, if you'd like to come along. It's just an opportunity for people to meet potential new friends, start to make networks and ask questions about how it all works.

What part of London were you?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I've only just seen this site and thread and have unfortunately just missed your get together. Will you be having another one? We moved to Redcliffe peninsula in March - myself, husband and 2 children ages 11 & 9. Would be nice to meet a few of you and hopefully get some hits and tips.

Hello Salsera

You bet there'll be another one! We usually meet in a park in the suburb of North Lakes - as you've probably seen - but the December one will be at a local beach and as soon as I work out a date (during this week) I'll post it and let everyone know.

However, if you want to have a chat & a cuppa before December, please PM me and we'll arrange something.

Pat

Hello all

December 2016 and January 2017 meet-up dates now decided.

Saturday 17th December at Moora Park, Shorncliffe (alongside the renovated pier). From 6.30am (yes, I know it's desperately early, but if any one wants to come for breakfast, or lunch, or dinner/tea, we'll be there!) BYO food, drinks, chairs, etc. Plenty of shade under the trees. Sand beach. Gentle water. Toilets. Huge play area for children of various ages. Stay as long as you want to/can.

Saturday 14 January 2017, from 2pm til you have to go. Aurora Boulevard Park, Aurora Boulevard, North Lakes. BYO food, drinks, etc.

Hello Stu & family

I've just posted the Dec & Jan dates: Saturday 17th Dec 2016 at Moora Park, Shorncliffe, from 6.30am til you have to go (we'll be there all day to meet/greet people and will definitely be having a bacon & egg breakfast to start!)and Saturday 14 January 2017 at Aurora Boulevard Park, Aurora Boulevard, North Lakes, from 2pm til you have to go. BYO food, drinks, chairs, etc. for both occasions. Free electric bbqs available at both.

I know 6.30am seems very early (and it is) but Qld people tend to be up with the sun and then down with the sun and as the sun will be up about 4.30am at that time of year, it's actually quite nice to get out and about before the heat hits and a bit of fresh air with a bbq breakfast is rather nice.

PM me if you have questions/queries.

• 5 months later...

Next get-together: Saturday 1 April (first weekend of the Queensland school holidays, so some people will be off camping, etc). From 2pm til you have to go. Aurora Boulevard Park, Aurora Boulevard, North Lakes. BYO food, drinks, etc.

Be lovely to see you.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...