schooling

Racmac

The Aussie school year runs from the end of Jan, the summer hols are at christmas! I think all states start high school in year seven now although I'd check, we are going to Queensland and they recently changed to year 7 from 8. Therefore your son will start high school at the end of Jan 2018. Also note that you will have to pay for schooling unless he's an Aussie even if he is, he will still need to provide supplies; books,stationary ect some schools also state you need to supply laptops etc. Eduction is on a state basis so check with the State you are going too's education department.

Edited by Fairview70
addition

It all depends when his birthday is and which state you are going to. A 10 year old will generally be in yr 5 in 2016 (given the proviso of when his birthday may be) so would not start HS in most states until 2018.

Remember that Aus is a foreign country so forget anything you think you know about schooling based on UK!

what state are you going to? Yes I think it works well my daughter is in year 8 and we are hoping to move this summer it will take a while to secure where we are living but this way she can start year 9 at the end of Jan instead of Sept and won't miss out. Hopefully the pupils will be the same level academically.

we are planning to go to Perth although that is subject to change and work prospects.

His birthday is September so he is currently the oldest in his year 5 class. We are thinking we may get visas sorted by Jan 17 and move that year. (I cant apply till next September at earliest for visa)

what state are you going to? Yes I think it works well my daughter is in year 8 and we are hoping to move this summer it will take a while to secure where we are living but this way she can start year 9 at the end of Jan instead of Sept and won't miss out. Hopefully the pupils will be the same level academically.

We came over in July after our daughter finished school for summer but we got her into school for the last term of year 6. Our reasoning was that 6 months is a long time to go with no school and no potential mixing with children her age (much more important than the educational element). Now we are in the summer term this has paid dividends as she has made a couple of good friends at school and had sleepovers etc. It has helped with the settling in period for her and she is now very happy here. I am certain this would not have been the case if she had been stuck with only us for company these past 6 months.

we are planning to go to Perth although that is subject to change and work prospects.

His birthday is September so he is currently the oldest in his year 5 class. We are thinking we may get visas sorted by Jan 17 and move that year. (I cant apply till next September at earliest for visa)

In Perth the cut off is end of June so children who are 5 before end of June start P1 in January the following year so I think he would be in P5 now and start at high school January 2018 - this link may help

http://www.det.wa.edu.au/curriculumsupport/earlychildhood/detcms/school-support-programs/early-childhood-education/home/calculator.en?oid=Article-id-11572345

There would be no state school fees but a lot of what is included in the UK has to be bought by parents including all text books, stationary etc. It was usually around $200 a year for my son in primary but up to $1000 in high school is normal. It depends a lot on the school but I have seen a number of moans on here about the cost of uniforms (my son's school didn't have one!) plus there are the 'voluntary' contributions which aren't so voluntary - our school asked for $450 a year. Depending on the family income there are allowances for some of these costs though.

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/services/schoolkids-bonus

i agree with Gbye grey sky and if you can get him into school as soon as possible when you get here, it'll give him chance to make friends. Our son started in the last term of Year 11 and it really helped as he then had some mates to see in the holidays.

Good luck!!

My son is currently in year 5 (aged 10)he will start secondary school in September 2017.

I'm not clear about when he will start secondary school in Australia, can anyone help?

It totally depends on which state you are moving to and the month in which he was born.

In WA the cut off date is June 30th and students now attend high school in year 7.

Therefore, as your son is 10 and will turn 11 in September 2016 this means that he will be in year 6 at primary school the following January, 2017.

Edited by Sammy1

Thanks all for this thread which I read with interest !! my daughter is in a similar age and school year. She will start year 6 in September 2016. Our aim is to move to OZ in time for her to have at least one term in primary before she starts secondary.

We are looking at arriving in ACT at the moment and hope to apply for the 190 in April this year.

i have worked out that if we leave the Uk in July next year she will have finished year 6 and will repeat the last time in year 6 with her peers in OZ am I right?

can anyone advise me on the school structure in ACT? do we have to pay fees there as well ?

Does the school year run from January?

Thanks

Thanks all for this thread which I read with interest !! my daughter is in a similar age and school year. She will start year 6 in September 2016. Our aim is to move to OZ in time for her to have at least one term in primary before she starts secondary.

We are looking at arriving in ACT at the moment and hope to apply for the 190 in April this year.

i have worked out that if we leave the Uk in July next year she will have finished year 6 and will repeat the last time in year 6 with her peers in OZ am I right?

can anyone advise me on the school structure in ACT? do we have to pay fees there as well ?

Does the school year run from January?

Thanks

She won't be repeating anything, it's a foreign country that she won't have had prior experience with. When is her birthday? The cut off date for ACT is 30 April so she could be in yr 6 in 2016 if she's turned 11 before 30 April 2016 (no too clear about your timing intentions! So adjust for whatever year you are contemplating) school year runs Jan- Dec. Permanent residents don't pay fees in ACT gov schools but temporary residents (457 visa) could be up for $10-12k pa. Mind you a child with a March/April birthday may be recommended to go a year lower unless they are real high fliers.

School structure is PS to end yr 6, HS yrs 7-10 College yrs 11&12 however, just to confuse you, there are some schools which are Preschool- yr 10 on the same campus.

We arrived in oz with our daughter in August who had just turned 10 (August birthday) she would have been starting in year 6 in the UK in the September. We thought she would have been going into year 5 from August to Jan then starting in year 6 in the Jan. However given when her birthday fell she was placed into a year 3/4 composite class and went up into year 5 in the Jan which was a complete shock to us, she had to do year 5 again. X hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

We arrived in oz with our daughter in August who had just turned 10 (August birthday) she would have been starting in year 6 in the UK in the September. We thought she would have been going into year 5 from August to Jan then starting in year 6 in the Jan. However given when her birthday fell she was placed into a year 3/4 composite class and went up into year 5 in the Jan which was a complete shock to us, she had to do year 5 again. X hope this helps.

She didn't do anything again, she was just with her age peers in a foreign country. With an August birthday in any state we could have told you which year group she would have been placed in. Good lesson though - forget what they've had and go with the flow!

I guess that's your opinion, her feeling was that she was doing it again. Also the children in her class were 8 and 9, she was used to being with 10/11 year old peers so not really the same but in a foreign country.

Well known that Aus is behind UK but she was with her age peers - sad for her that she went from being one of the younger to one of the older but kids of her age were all in that group. Bit unfortunate that she was in a composite I grant you - a 4/5 composite would probably have been better. But it is a different system and she hadn't done it before.

I guess that's your opinion, her feeling was that she was doing it again. Also the children in her class were 8 and 9, she was used to being with 10/11 year old peers so not really the same but in a foreign country.

I think parents can assist greatly with how children see this. Our daughter had started HS in the Sept (UK) and we moved in the January, at that time year 7 in WA was the last year of Primary School. We never referred to it as going back to Primary, only that it was a different country and different system and that it would give her an opportunity to learn the new system. We used her having moved onto HS in the UK as a positive to her moving schools again.

Lesson content was different, in society and environment e.g. instead of learning about Victorian England it was about the original owners of the land etc., going on camp meant having a lesson on the bush, snakes etc.,

I think as parents we need to promote it as something new

• 3 weeks later...

We are hoping to move over to WA July 2018. This will be the end of year 9 for our son being 14 with birthday 6/5 but we are a little worried about how the move may effect his education as he is in a very good grammar school in uk and performing so well. I guess in the back of our mind is if he does WACE and then we moved back to uk for some reason would his hard work and future upto this point be lost.

I know its 6 of one and half dozen of the other. Only real issue is our daughter is two years younger so if we wait for him to do GCSE's she would be about to start. He has asked if they do much foreign language in WA secondary as he loves those subjects.

Try looking at a few school websites for the area you are looking. Also the type of school you want I found this very useful My daughter excels at spanish but all the schools I looked at either do Japanese, Chinese or German. I don't know if that is the same in WA but if he's good at language it might be a bonus to study an asian language if you do return to the UK he'll have a skill his peers won't