Moving to Batemans bay March 2016

lomo55

Hello everyone,

we are moving to Batemans Bay in March 2016 and just wondered if anyone is emmigrating at a similar time, or if anyone has moved in to this area recently and has any advice for us?

It would be lovely to meet other people that are also emmigrating to NSW to get in touch and share ideas either before moving out there or once we arrive.

If anyone has recently emmigrated to the Batemans Bay area and would like to get in contact that would be really nice. It would be great to know someone out there before making the big move! Eeek!

Look forward to hearing from you,

Thank you,

x L x

Have you got jobs lined up? Spent many a summer there as the olds had a holiday home there, it's certainly not a hotbed of industry or anything.

There are some spectacular landslides in the area surrounding it; NSW Transport and Main Roads uses the area to train landslide assessors (I did the course last year), the Bay hasn't changed from when I was a kid - still very much a retirement home feeling about the place but I understand there are some younger families moving there now.

Hi, thanks for your reply, we are going to start job hunting early January and get in touch with a few places. We already have a house sorted so we are getting excited. I'm hoping to join in with things in the community to meet people. are there any volunteer groups or social events going on in the area? Thanks for your message. X

I lived further down the coast from Batemans Bay for a few years but passed through often. I like it. Great beaches. Cheap houses. Quiet, family or retirement orientated. Easy place to live. The only time it gets busy is on public holidays when the Canberrans arrive - it is the closest place to the beach for Canberra. What do you do for work?

Thanks for your reply, it sounds really nice. Unfortunately were were given restrictions on where we could live and we havnt actaully been to Batemans Bay before, so we can only follow peoples recommendations and what we can search for online. It sounds like a good starting point anyway and I really hope I can make friends in the community. Im a teacher, so I think Ill start lookign for work over the next month and put some feelers out. Id be more than happy to work in a preschool to start and Ive looked online and think there is one in Batemans Bay. Is there anywhere quite local to the area that may have more work opportunities or that is more built up at all?

No not really, Batemans Bay is the biggest place around. Canberra closest city but its almost 2 hrs away. Moruya or Ulladulla are both 30-45 mins and decent sized (but still small) towns - you may find opportunities there. Otherwise Nowra which has around 30,000 people but thats probably almost an hour and a half away.

Ok thank you, thats really good to know and helps a lot. Are Moruya and Ulladulla bigger than Batemans bay, regarding shops, jobs etc? 30 minutes isnt too far really to look for jobs and travel, certainly doable! lol. Those two places may even be in our catchment area where we could look in to. Are you still living in Australia? xx

Thanks for your reply, it sounds really nice. Unfortunately were were given restrictions on where we could live and we havnt actaully been to Batemans Bay before, so we can only follow peoples recommendations and what we can search for online. It sounds like a good starting point anyway and I really hope I can make friends in the community. Im a teacher, so I think Ill start lookign for work over the next month and put some feelers out. Id be more than happy to work in a preschool to start and Ive looked online and think there is one in Batemans Bay. Is there anywhere quite local to the area that may have more work opportunities or that is more built up at all?

There are plenty of people living in Bateman's Bay and working in Canberra. Too much travel to do on a daily basis, but i know a few who go to Canberra on a Monday morning, stay over Monday and Tuesday and then drive back to BB on Wednesday night after work....working at home Thursday and Friday. 5 nights in Bateman's, 2 nights in Canberra.

This obviously takes planning and finding the right job. You might want to do two part time jobs in different places, just to get the income if that's crucial.

I would start looking for work now and put out as many feelers out as possible, maybe even non-teaching jobs, try and get a flexible plan sorted and see where the land lies.

That's really good advice. Thank you. Does.anyone know of the best job search websites? Or agencies to help find work? X

There's two different kinds of recruitment agencies in Australia. One is the commercial agency, (the kind that most employers would use to find secretaries, accounting staff etc), and the other is the kind that's subsidised by the government, mainly to get the unemployed off benefits and into work. There are no commercial agencies in Bateman's Bay, only the subsidised ones.

Seek.com.au is the best site for job search.

• 3 months later...

Hello!!!

I'm organising my move to Batemans Bay around the first week of May to also job hunting and was great finding your post!

I'm guessing that maybe you also have a regional visa which specifies you have to settle down in the area. How is it going?

It will be really nice to meet people in advance or once I arrive.

Have you found a job? How did you find your accommodation?

I have been looking for a job online for a while but nothing has popped up!

I will appreciate all the advices you can give me!

Thanks,

;)

Hello,

great to hear from you! How exciting that you'll also be coming to Batemans Bay! We've been here just two weeks so still early days. But it's beautiful and met lots of friendly people who are all keen to help. Yes we had the regional state sponsorship visa. Are you coming out alone or with someone? Definitely get in touch when you arrive and we can meet up if you like? X

Hello!!!

I'm organising my move to Batemans Bay around the first week of May to also job hunting and was great finding your post!

I'm guessing that maybe you also have a regional visa which specifies you have to settle down in the area. How is it going?

It will be really nice to meet people in advance or once I arrive.

Have you found a job? How did you find your accommodation?

I have been looking for a job online for a while but nothing has popped up!

I will appreciate all the advices you can give me!

Thanks,

;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I also have gained a 489 regional sponsored visa to live and work in the far south coast and it is interesting reading to hear the comments regarding the Bateman's bay area.

I will be arriving in the region at the beginning of July. I have been in contact with some of the job agencies in the region while I am here in the UK, but most of them have told me to contact them once I have arrived in the region.

I have looked at a few areas in the region to live, but my main priority will be trying to secure employment which will then determine where I can live. It would be really great to hear any feedback on how people have settled in, and any things I might need to know.

Hello, well I'm still new here and finding my feet but if there's anything I can do to help then let me know. It's beautiful here and everyone is so friendly. What's your line of work? Im a teacher and my boyfriend is an electrician and we are still trying to find permanent work. Just having casual work at the moment to start us off. Depending on what you do, there is probably more job opportunists further north, but in my opinion I'd like to try and stay here and search for work as I love the area so much.

HI, thank you so much for the offer of help, its really great to know, and speak to someone who is already living out in the region of our choice. I must admit I haven't really heard a bad thing said about the region as far as location goes, it seems to be a beautiful place to live, hence why my wife, daughter and I have chosen to relocate there. The only slight worry I have is employment in the region.

I am currently a site supervisor for an American Industrial Gas company, and my wife is a Local Government Officer dealing with benefits and licencing. I used my Engineering background to obtain my visa, so I will be looking for work in Fabrication/Welding when I first arrive, but hopefully would like to continue in some type of supervisory roll in time. We have been looking at Nowra, only because it has the biggest population and hopefully the better chance of gaining work.

Would be great to keep in touch, and hopefully catch up once we arrive.

I'm really glad you found my post and we would love to meet you when you arrive. Once you're here we can exchange numbers etc. it sounds like you both have good careers, I'm sure I've seen a few welding jobs (my brother is a welder so the jobs stood out to me). Yes, we have also been a bit torn between choosing between Nowra with more job opportunities, or Batemans bay where it's just so beautiful and friendly. We have both been offered jobs in Nowra but not found anything permanent in Batemans bay as yet. It's a tricky decision but I think we are going to keep trying in Batemans bay for a bit as its still early days. Seek.com.au is the best website for work as far as I can tell. Apparently gumtree is good too but I havnt had any luck myself.

Looking forward to to meeting you and your family once you arrive.

we live a bit further down the coast. the whole area is beautiful & wonderful for families. theres lots of expats in the area as well but i dont see many posting on here. everyone in the area is so helpful & if you join in community activities it helps you get settled & make friends & contacts for work. most people seem to start out with casual jobs but get permanent jobs after a while.

• 1 year later...
On 2016-4-26 at 14:56, Dean Price said:

Hello,

I also have gained a 489 regional sponsored visa to live and work in the far south coast and it is interesting reading to hear the comments regarding the Bateman's bay area.

I will be arriving in the region at the beginning of July. I have been in contact with some of the job agencies in the region while I am here in the UK, but most of them have told me to contact them once I have arrived in the region.

I have looked at a few areas in the region to live, but my main priority will be trying to secure employment which will then determine where I can live. It would be really great to hear any feedback on how people have settled in, and any things I might need to know.

I'm moving to Nowra by august and want to know about that region. I'm a software enginner by profession and looks for any kind of job over there.

How about the job opportunities over there? Have you got job?

My accommodation is ready and contacted some recruitment agencies . Everyone asked me to contact after reaching Australia.

Thanks in advance.

On 2016-4-28 at 05:46, Booma said:

we live a bit further down the coast. the whole area is beautiful & wonderful for families. theres lots of expats in the area as well but i dont see many posting on here. everyone in the area is so helpful & if you join in community activities it helps you get settled & make friends & contacts for work. most people seem to start out with casual jobs but get permanent jobs after a while.

I will be moving to Nowra by August. Are you are nowra? 

• 9 months later...
On 5/31/2017 at 17:30, sJoy said:

I'm moving to Nowra by august and want to know about that region. I'm a software enginner by profession and looks for any kind of job over there.

How about the job opportunities over there? Have you got job?

My accommodation is ready and contacted some recruitment agencies . Everyone asked me to contact after reaching Australia.

Thanks in advance.

Hi there, did you make the move to Nowra?

Think this is where we are potentially heading (has to be far south coast, NSW) and thought I would see how you are finding it.