French's Forest / Forestville people

Captain Roberto

Hi All.

We moved over there nearly 6 months ago now, and ended up in Killara, North Shore.

there are lots of things that are good about it (really great schools, very 'safe', 'nice area', great commute to the city, and it's quite near lots of places), but it's not really what we had in mind when we wanted to move here.

I think we wanted to live on the Northern Beaches, and be able to access the kind of things those places have to offer easier. Most of those places, Narrabeen, Collaroy, Manly etc have parks, beaches, places to exercise, things to do and some activity. We are always driving over that way, but it takes 25 minutes when traffic is clear, and longer in busy times so only go on a day off really.

The 'cons' of Killara are:

• A Bit dull
  • Crazy rent costs
  • Could never afford to buy here
  • Everything involves a drive/train
  • Nowhere for kids to hang out (skate/play be young and have fun)

It is that it's a bit boring, mainly people living in big houses with all their stuff on their property (many have their own tennis courts here, and it's all very 'loadsamoney'). The benefits are not to be dismissed too easily though as the schools the kids are at are really excellent. It is nice, but ultimately, I can't see us settling here forever, and we can't really afford it anyway.

As I understand it the schools around Frenchs Forest and Forestville area also pretty decent (davidson/Killarney Heights). When we originally moved, it seemed that those places weren't that far from Kilara, but in reality, the way the roads work, we have found that it takes a lot longer to get to the coast from here. And we always find that unless we head further north to Mona Vale and further up the peninsula, we have to drive through Forestville and Frenchs forest to get anywhere we like to go.

We like to go to places like

• Manly Dam
  • Clontarf Beach (can also walk our dog there)
  • Narrabeen
  • Curl Curl
  • Manly
  • Balmoral Beach

It seems like it's more like 10 minutes drive to most of those places for French's Forest, and there are also buses, which would please my eldest daughter who is nearly 13. She'd like to get out and live her life.

So - If anyone lives in those areas (Davidson or Killarney Heights school catchment areas) - Do you like it? Do you get over to the coast much? Are the schools still good?

We currently pay £1k a week rent, which we can't really afford, and would like to trim that back a little. We very nearly got a house in Forestville for $850 a month, but decided on Killara, so was hoping we could move to a more suitable area and save a little bit of money all in one go. As we don't want to move the kids all the time, we need to try and get it right and stick there.

Any advice will be greatly recieved.

Cheers

Matt & family.

Both Davidson and Killarney Heights schools have very good rep. My mate took his kids out of private school to send them to Davidson (his local school) and thinks it's better.

French's Forest *is* much closer to beach and a bit closer to city than the Upper North Shore. So i know what you mean - eg for my mate, they like Manly and go down there regularly, for them it's a 10-15min drive. For me it's 30-35 so much more of a special journey

Yeah. The distance isn't massive from middle north shore on paper, but the road, traffic, number of lights makes it a thing Pi can't do on a whim after work.

And my 3 kids can't drive. And there's no buses. So being somewhere like FF would probably work better.

I know people who commute by bus from FF to the city, and they reckon it's between 30 and 45 mins by bus. It's takes me 30 mins by train from Killara - but as I freelance I don't always work in the same place. I could live with a slightly longer commute if it meant to kids had more to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is anyone lives in Frenchs forest or Forestville it's would be good to know if there is much to do in your own neighbourhood?

Do kids play out on bikes and skateboards?

And what kind of places can you take the dog for a walk? We have a 'dog park' here. Which is a field that smells of dog crap [emoji90]

@Rallyman Well we love it up there. Not really sure what the deal is with high schools though. We're not in a huge rush as we have 6 months left of our rental but wanted to really test out these places and get a feel for them.

It's all a balance I think. Commuting is quite important but not as important as the overall vibe. This place is nice, but it's not really us. And we can't really afford it. Seems you really pay a premium to live by the train line here.

I think it's not so unusual for someone to move to a new county and not get it 100% right 1st time. We are close - but the rent is a tough one. If we could pay maybe $200 less a week it would be a bit less pressure. $1k is doable, but it means there's literally no money to do

Much else

Is there much rental for $800 up our way for a 3 (or 4) bedroom place?

Edited by Captain Roberto

Well we can pay our rent. But it means there's not much left for anything else.

We pay $52k a year, which is a lot, and Killara is a really pricey place, especially as it's not really exciting. I have seen quite a few places over there for more like $750 p/w - and frankly, that makes quite a difference.

I reckon I could live with a slightly longer bus commute in return for an extra $250 a week.

Not always. Seems I have accidentally ended up being a freelancer since I got here. So I work on site often, could be Surry hills or Darlinghurst or sometimes in Balmain. Got a chunk of work in Willoughby at channel 9 in the new year. Would like to work remotely at some point In time, and have more control and less commute. Would still be able to go to meetings, but could get work from the uk as easily as locally. That's what I am working towards.

My wife works in Hornsby - but could move to another health authority if necessary.