Worried about moving my cat to Baldivis, Perth

Lesley Reynolds

Hello,

I am considering a move to Perth and would like to take my 1 year old cat, Leo. There seems to be a lot of negative comments regarding cats and it seems that they can be subject to harsh treatment if they are allowed to roam free as they would in England.

The threads I have read so far do not seem to be in relation to Perth/surrounding areas....does anyone have any experience of having a cat in this specific location please?

Is it easy to find a rental with a cat?

Are they able to roam or do they have to be kept in?

Have others found that their cats have settled into life in Aus well or have they experienced problems?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Lesley

Hello,

I am considering a move to Perth and would like to take my 1 year old cat, Leo. There seems to be a lot of negative comments regarding cats and it seems that they can be subject to harsh treatment if they are allowed to roam free as they would in England.

The threads I have read so far do not seem to be in relation to Perth/surrounding areas....does anyone have any experience of having a cat in this specific location please?

Is it easy to find a rental with a cat?

Are they able to roam or do they have to be kept in?

Have others found that their cats have settled into life in Aus well or have they experienced problems?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Lesley

Your cat will be absolutely fine in Baldivis - a good friend lives there with cats and has had no problems. I lived in another SOR suburb and again very cat friendly.

It is fair to say there is an animosity towards cats due to the potential for them to hunt native fauna and personally we didn't allow our cat out after dark. It was something we worried about but had no bad experiences in the 3 years we had a cat there.

We didn't move out with a cat but we moved back with one and she has settled extremely well I can't see it would be different in reverse - my only concern moving out with a cat would be the risk of skin cancer if they are white even in the UK we put sun block on our white cat which wasn't appreciated :)

Not based in Perth but Brisbane. We did not bring our cats, unfortunately each of them passed away and we did not replace them.

We feel that we were very responsible cat owners, they were restricted to the house with plenty of activities and were taken out for walks on leads which they generally loved. Cats are predators and should be kept away from wildlife including British, this is the responsibility of the owner who should be help responsible should their cat be found killing endangered wildlife. Keeping the cat in over night would be advisable in addition to de-sexing. Also look into insurance costs against vet bills to ensure it is affordable.

1 year old cat will cope with everything easily.

S

• 2 weeks later...

It's unlikely your cat will get "harsh treatment" if allowed to roam free, but I hope you will be a responsible cat owner and keep your cat indoors during the hours of darkness.

Even in suburban Australia, there's a lot of native wildlife around and most of it is nocturnal. Even cats who don't hunt love to chase things, and if your cat is out at night, it may hurt or kill native animals by mistake. Surveys have been done of cats out at night in Australia, and their owners have been shocked at how many animals they hurt/killed, because the cats were not bringing them all into the house.

So if you're an animal lover you will think of the other animals as well as your cat, and keep Leo in!

Hi Lesley,

If I was to move to Oz again I would not take my cats with me this time.

I took two cats when I went because I thought it would be too upsetting to leave them and re-home them in the UK, but sadly, both died in Oz within two years. They were both outdoor cats in England and I let them go outside in Oz during the day. One disappeared one day and was never seen again and the other got badly bitten on the face by something and it never recovered. In hindsight, I wished I'd have left them with a family member (as offered) as I eventually ended up coming home to the UK again and would possibly have still had them. Of course, I will never know that for sure, but personally, I think mine would have been better off staying behind in England.

Archived