Buying a car

ali

Like most new migrants we'll be looking to buy a car - any tips on getting a good deal?

I've heard there's a sort of stamp duty (don't know if it's actually called that), when you buy a car - should we ask for this to be included in the price?

Is it better to buy new/used? Which cars are good value for money?

Will show technical answers to hubby - I'm more aesthetic and will choose the colour!! :lol:

Thanxs - Ali

Guest ohippychick
Like most new migrants we'll be looking to buy a car - any tips on getting a good deal?

I've heard there's a sort of stamp duty (don't know if it's actually called that), when you buy a car - should we ask for this to be included in the price?

Is it better to buy new/used? Which cars are good value for money?

Will show technical answers to hubby - I'm more aesthetic and will choose the colour!! :lol:

Thanxs - Ali

if you have cash negotiate the price down, there's always a deal. The stamp duty is in addition to the car as it's paid direct.

Used cars are expensive, we found less than $1k difference between a newish used car and a brand new so opted for brand new. Ended up with a Hyundai Accent.

Ex-demonstrator's are always top value.... almost new and with balance of warranty...

Always try to buy on or near end of month... better deals as salesmen try to get monthly figures up...

Thanks for the info, I had heard that used cars weren't didn't seem to depreciate in value to the same extent as over here.

Ali

That's certainly true... 'Cos cars here just don't rust the same way....

My last car had almost 200,000km on the clock when I traded it in... still on the original exhaust and clutch

Guest TheArmChairDetective
Ex-demonstrator's are always top value.... almost new and with balance of warranty...

Always try to buy on or near end of month... better deals as salesmen try to get monthly figures up...

Is there also the end of quarter and end of year quota's Fraser?

Ali I wrote this in another thread:

Another thing you should be aware of in NSW (can't speak for the other states) when you buy a second hand car you must pay 2.75% (may have gone up to 3% now) of the car's purchase price as a Transfer Fee, plus about $30 Stamp duty to get it registered in your name.

If you buy private you can get lessen the impact by putting down that you bought it for less than you did, however write it down too much and the RTA will get suss and apply market rates anyway.

If you buy second hand from a dealer then there is no way around it AFAIK. You have 14days to transfer your car else a fine of approx $80 applies (plus the fee of course).

You cannot say that the car is a gift, well you can but you'll still pay the fee. However spouses can transfer vehicles owned by themselves to each other for a fee of $27.

Ian,

It must have been your post I read about stamp duty in the first place - my mind is getting fillied with lost of trivial stuff as we get nearer the move.

I wrote down some websites for cars and will look at the prices.

Thanks Ali

Is there also the end of quarter and end of year quota's Fraser?

Good question... Dunno about quarters.

End of financial year quotas, yes definitely. Oz financial year is 1 July to 30 June...so last week of June is usually good.

I would imagine calendar year is good too.

Another thing that happens here is that you get 3rd party insurance included with your rego.. something that we should implement in the U.K.!!!

Also, I don't know if it's just me, but people don't seem half as bothered about what car they drive here.. We took a friend's advice and bought a 'donkey' (an old station wagon) to get us going and lugging stuff around in. It's good to have an old banger that you can leave at the railway station and not worry about whether it'll be there when you get back! It has paid us many times over in being able to throw the seats down to transport furniture and what have you, rather than paying delivery charges!

Sorry to go on, but another thing is that I was happy to drive a small car in U.K. but I feel much safer with a big bit of metal between me and some of the road trains that hurtle past you on the freeway!

Archived