Playing Ice Hockey in Darwin; is it possible???

Canada2Australia

Hey all:

I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any rec/beer leagues that get together casually to play a few games. I'm not looking for any competitive leagues; just wanting to get together once in awhile to blast a few pucks around the rink. Also, do they sell any hockey equipment in the Darwin area?

I guess I'm asking if any of this is possible??

Thanks,

I don't think there is an ice rink in Darwin, except the temporary ones they sometimes put up in the shopping centres. So no ice hockey. It's a minor sport in Australia, partly due to the lack of good ice rinks in general. I had a friend who was a keen ice hockey player - he had to give up when he moved to Oz.

Edited by Marisawright

That's a shame. I wish there were more Canadians there to help make hockey, and skating in general, more popular. I will definitely miss it when I move there. There are rinks in the other major Australian cities and I believe there are casual rec leagues in a few of them. This *may* be a deciding factor on how long I end up staying in Darwin.

Although I guess I shouldn't be too surprised to find that there are no rinks in a city in the tropics haha

Edited by Canada2Australia

Although I guess I shouldn't be too surprised to find that there are no rinks in a city in the tropics haha

Ice rinks in the tropics can be an absolute boon - Bangkok has some excellent ones. But Darwin's small population would be more of an issue.

However you can play ice hockey in every other state and territory in Oz.