The weather in Devonport Tasmania today

JockinTas

We've had rain here but not as much as you. However more heavy rain is predicted for later today and overnight. 50+ mm in my rain gauge since Saturday night - but about half that down in the city, I think.

The wind usually blows from the north or west here but over the past 24 hours it's been from the east and really strong making the rain horizontal. :shocked: Fingers crossed it's over for a while now. Yes we live very near the river and the ocean but no flooding at all near us anyway. The ocean is looking very wild though.

It's a calm day today but there has been a lot of flooding. As usual I feel really sorry for farm livestock - many drowned.

We have been so lucky where we live to be so near the river and the sea and not to have been flooded or damaged in any way.

Just been for a walk along the shore at East Devonport. It's littered with whole felled trees, heaps of branches, a couple of dead seals and umpteen dead seagulls plus the usual garbage that gets washed up after a bad storm. Quite a few boats left stranded too.

No rain today but a bit damp and the wind is blowing off the mountains. Currently 13C.

Wow - wasn't expecting dead seals. Battered by the strong ocean swells, I assume? I heard Jacques Sapir from the Mersey Yacht Club talking on radio this morning. He said that, apart from the marina which disintegrated and the damaged yachts in the river and the several yachts they were able to retrieve from Bass Strait, there are also 3 or 4 yachts which have completely disappeared...they don't know where they are. They've been up in a light plane looking for them along the coast and out to sea...but no sightings so far.

Yesterday and today the sun is shining though we had hailstones early this morning. 11C max today. The ferry is sailing again tomorrow to and from Melbourne, for the first time since last Sunday. The river was too dangerous ......................... debris floating all over it and submerged yachts. ................ for the ferry to negotiate it's passage into the Bass Strait. Farm livestock has been badly hit - many sheep and cattle have drowned. :frown: I was appalled when out driving last week to see new born lambs in some fields. :mad: Lambs should only be born in spring when the weather is getting warm.

http://www.themercury.com.au/news/tasmania/search-for-livestock-as-farmers-tally-losses/news-story/82404396093f2f69ff6880c316628cb8

• 5 weeks later...

Wet and wild - that's the only description of the weather today. Moved the horses into a sheltered field that also has a proper shelter on it. Was all togged up in waterproofs from head to toe. It's 13C. Happy to get back to a warm, cosy house and curl up with a book. Even my dog wasn't too fussed about going for a walk.

I should really start to apply a richer moisturiser to my poor old face. At this rate, I'll be starting to look weather-beaten. :cry:

Yes, I've been outside in the howling gale putting a tarpaulin over the new load of firewood which is not under cover. Hopefully it will give some protection from the rain and snow they're forecasting. That was fun and games trying to do it single handedly. I did have company - one whingeing cat, who didn't like the wind - but he wasn't much help. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
@JockinTas,

When walking your pooch, make sure it is well secured...wind could 'blow a dog off a chain'.

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-213.73,-41.29,1106/loc=144.402,-45.094

Cheers, Bobj.

That weather hit us last night Bobj. Horrendous and lashing rain. Had to got and check the horses to make sure they were OK. The dog wouldn't get out of the car. :eek: Today is calm and the sun is shining .......................... at least it is just now.

• 1 month later...

After a week of frosty mornings and lovely sunny days, today it's milder but a bit showery and blustery. 13C. Went for a 'horse ride' this morning. One of the horses I look after (with 3 other people) is a lovely Arab mare - very flighty and nervous but I've been trying to gain her confidence for a while now and today she let me get onto her back. Gone are the days when I could vault onto a horse - now I have to stand on a hay bale and mount from that. :laugh: Unfortunately she tossed me off when a gust of wind scared her. We would like to get her to the stage where she enjoys human company then find her a good home. When we rescued her she was in foal and her little colt foal (now a gelding) has weaned himself so hope to find him a good home too. It's been a hard winter for them - very wet and stormy - plus the other two we care for but they are looking plump and healthy as we found them a good sheltered paddock and they get plenty of good food and hay. Will be glad to see spring time soon and the milder weather again.