The weather in Devonport Tasmania today

JockinTas

1 hour ago, Toots said:

After weeks of warm settled weather everything seems to be happening this morning. 

Many trees and powerlines down according to callers to local ABC radio, particularly from Deloraine through to Launceston area.  Raining heavily here in Hobart atm. ....wind just arrived. :S         Cats looking very alarmed....have just rolled the storm shutters down  for them.  :)

Edited by Skani
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Skani said:

Many trees and powerlines down according to callers to local ABC radio, particularly from Deloraine through to Launceston area.  Raining heavily here in Hobart atm. ....wind just arrived. :S         Cats looking very alarmed....have just rolled the storm shutters down  for them.  :)

Husband has gone to Launceston to visit a mate in hospital there.  Told him to drive carefully.  :|

Looks like the worst is now over.  A lot calmer and everything is drying up.  Tall garden plants took a bit of a battering.  :|

Just spoke to OH.  All he said was "Yes it was a bit blustery and the rain was teeming it down".  Anyway he's safe and sound.

5 minutes ago, Skani said:

That's good.  Rain still hammering down here - was horizontal when it first started.   There's a large cruise ship in port today....poor passengers sightseeing (though probably more comfortable than being at sea at the moment).

Now the sun is shining.  Wish the wind would die down though.

15 minutes ago, libbye said:

Well you can't say you don't get bored!  Incredible.  We've still got rain and more rain with the occasional sunny day.  Will be so pleased when

spring arrives and my daughter from Aus.

Yes, I was getting a bit bored of day after day of sunshine.  :P  The storm has blown itself out and the sun is shining again.  

Devonport's forecast.

Today:              Min:   12       Max:     20    Showers

Monday:          Min:     9       Max:      23    Mostly Sunny

Tuesday:         Min:   11       Max:      21    Sunny

Wednesday:   Min:   12       Max:      21    Mostly Sunny

Thursday:        Min:   14       Max:      23    Sunny

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2018 at 13:57, Toots said:

It's the most beautiful day today.  24C and a big blue sky.  Unfortunately I'm going on a bit of a road trip tomorrow with a couple of friends and the forecast for tomorrow is for a dull day and chance of rain.  :|

We called into Devonport this morning and it was very grey and drizzly. Happily the sun has come out and we are staying in a fabulous apartment overlooking the waterfront in Penguin. What a great little town ?

• Like 1

There has been a recent increase in new arrivals - Tasmania seems to be the flavour of the month at the moment.   Some are retirees, some are in occupations which are "digitally portable" ie. they can work anywhere which has good internet access.  But there has been an increase in other types of jobs too - tourism, the agricultural sector and health related sectors are all growing at the moment.

Has the government put a cap on how many houses should be built or don;'t they care.  I would be concerned too much will spoil such a lovely place

or maybe others would disagree as it could become a more interesting place in which to live.  Different cultures e.g

No they haven't.  It's been estimated that we need an extra 5,000 new houses for the current population.  We have the lowest rental vacancy rate in the country and, in Hobart at least, 40 -50 people are turning up to inspect each rental vacancy.   The problem has been exacerbated by (a)    the arrival of Airbnb:  properties are being converted into short stay holiday accommodation and thus reducing the number of properties for residents to actually  live in and (b) the number of overseas students arriving to study at the local University....but without a commensurate increase in accommodation.

Personally I would like to see the population remain around its present size - 520,000.   I think it's the perfect balance of people and environment.  However the current government thinks bigger is automatically better and wants 650,000 - but without any planning for housing, transport and necessary infrastructure like hospitals.  :S   Thick as two short planks some of these politicians are.  :arghh:

Oh how stupid.  They will end up spoiling a beautiful place.  Melbourne is ugly and has been for years.  Nothing but a sea of rooftops. I hated it when I visited

last November.  Politicians have no idea.  All they sign up for is to get a good pension at the end of their term.  No thought for the environment.  I agree with everything you say.

It's very much a heated topic here at the moment.  Asian  developers are buying up property like crazy.  They want to build a couple of Singapore type skyscraper hotels bang in the middle of Hobart's colonial heritage dockside  here.  It would completely destroy those things which attract people to the area - the human scale, the early colonial buildings, the line of sight to the mountain - not to mention creating giant cold shadows and icy wind tunnels in winter  (things they don't have to worry about in Singapore).   Fortunately there has been a huge outcry from the public....the protest coordinator being an Irishman who moved from Perth only 2 years ago. :cute:

Hobart2StuGibson.jpg

Devonport's forecast.

Today:              Min:   10      Max:     21   Sunny

Tuesday:         Min:    10     Max:      21   Sunny

Wednesday:   Min:    11      Max:      21    Sunny

Thursday:        Min:   13      Max:      22    Sunny

Friday:              Min:   13      Max:      22    Sunny

33 minutes ago, Drumbeat said:

I just need to have a small whinge - Hobart was 20C when we left yesterday, Perth was 31C when we arrived. Already my joint stiffness has returned :sad:.

I though the heat would be good for joint stiffness??

19 minutes ago, Toots said:

I though the heat would be good for joint stiffness??

It seems to vary between people. It might be something other than the temperature but I'm not sure what - I've definitely noticed an improvement on our last few trips which were to NZ, Europe and Tasmania.

• Like 1