The weather in Devonport Tasmania today

JockinTas

What a difference in temps.  Incredible.  Never known anything like that.  Melbourne used to have and probably still does 4 seasons in a day

but what you're describing is totally bizarre.  Have to say I prefer the cooler days.  Not a great fan of heat.  One of my daughters lives in

Cairns and loves it but not for us.  Humidity at times would be unbearable.

Yes, I'm with you on the cooler days.   24C is about my comfortable maximum temp.  Tassie is susceptible to these sudden changes because of its position.  If the winds turn southerly then there's nothing between us and Antarctica.  If it's from the north when  heat has built up over the mainland in the warmer months then we cop that too.  Fortunately most of our prevailing wind/weather is from the oceans to the west so it's a predominantly temperate climate.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, libbye said:

What a difference in temps.  Incredible.  Never known anything like that.  Melbourne used to have and probably still does 4 seasons in a day

but what you're describing is totally bizarre.  Have to say I prefer the cooler days.  Not a great fan of heat.  One of my daughters lives in

Cairns and loves it but not for us.  Humidity at times would be unbearable.

For me I find Jan, Feb and March are the more settled months at least on the north west coast.  

It may seem bizarre Libby but that's how it is.   For a not very large place, Tasmania's weather varies from area to area.

Christmas?  I don't think anyone is foolish - or insane - enough to forecast that far ahead....well, not seriously anyway .  I think 7 days is about their limit.  :biggrin:  I have known both 36C  (2015)  and snow on the mountain (1976?)  on Christmas Day in Hobart.

19 hours ago, libbye said:

Everyone here wants a white Christmas.  I'd rather the sun was shining but then we're never satisfied are we!!!

I can remember a few of white Christmases when I was a child in the UK.  Last one I can think of was when I was working in Norfolk - there was about a foot of snow - that would have been round about 1970.  I'm sure there have been some more since then especially in the north of England and Scotland.  These days I can well do without snow and especially sleet.  Nasty stuff.  We had one day last winter here in Devonport when we had a bit of sleet.  Horrible. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for asking.  Quite lonely actually but we're used to that now.  Phone calls to our two girls in Aus brightened our day.  One lives in Cairns

and the weather sounded fantastic although she said it was too humid.  In the Morbihan we escaped the snow which descended on many parts

of France and the uk.  We have a reasonable climate where we are and it's known as the golden triangle.  Whatever they means!   Not far from the

sea which makes a big difference I think. We've passed the longest day so now it's onwards and upwards to spring.  Looking forward to end of March

when one daughter arrives from Aus for 3 weeks.  Any plans to travel next year?  Never been to NZ but it does look a beautiful country.  So diverse.

Do you have family there?  What was the weather like?

3 hours ago, libbye said:

Thank you for asking.  Quite lonely actually but we're used to that now.  Phone calls to our two girls in Aus brightened our day.  One lives in Cairns

and the weather sounded fantastic although she said it was too humid.  In the Morbihan we escaped the snow which descended on many parts

of France and the uk.  We have a reasonable climate where we are and it's known as the golden triangle.  Whatever they means!   Not far from the

sea which makes a big difference I think. We've passed the longest day so now it's onwards and upwards to spring.  Looking forward to end of March

when one daughter arrives from Aus for 3 weeks.  Any plans to travel next year?  Never been to NZ but it does look a beautiful country.  So diverse.

Do you have family there?  What was the weather like?

I have a nephew in Queenstown.  My brother died 7 years ago and his son inherited his house there.  My brother bought it nearly 15 years ago as an investment and for his family to use at holiday times.  Also my Scottish cousin's granddaughter married a Kiwi and they live in the North Island but came to Queenstown for Christmas.  Yes New Zealand is lovely.  I like Wellington and Christchurch but poor old Christchurch is still recovering from the 2011 earthquake.  

The weather was fairly cool on Christmas Day - it doesn't get hot in Queenstown - summer max is around 26C.  Quite hot enough for me.  Beautiful in the winter but packed with tourists at that time of the year.

The weather in Devonport for the next three days.

Wednesday:     Min 13     Max  22    Mostly sunny

Thursday:          Min 13     Max  24    Mostly sunny

Friday:                Min 15      Max  23    Mostly sunny

12 minutes ago, Skani said:

A sparkling, clear, sunny 20 degrees here today.  Much improvement on the windy, overcast 36 we had yesterday.

36 degrees in Hobart yesterday!!  Phew!  It was a bit overcast here yesterday and it got to 26C.  

My goodness you are having fun and games.  What a difference in temperatures.  How are you gardens standing up to it all?  Sounds like Hobart

is one of the hottest places.  My daughter tells me they had 42deg  day ago.  Not for me!  Still if we monkey about with the climate we can expect to

experience extremes.  I think Tassie would probably be the better of climates though.  Another daughter who lives in Cairns hasn't complained so far

this year but I guess their turn will come.   We've had nothing but rain and some parts of France snow.  At least the trees won't suffer this year.  Apart from

the winds I guess it's been good bbq weather.

47 minutes ago, libbye said:

Sounds like Hobart is one of the hottest places. 

Hobart gets hotter than the northwest coast (where Toots lives) if there is extreme heat from the mainland directed our way by northerly winds.  It cools over Bass Strait but picks up more heat as it travels over the Tasmanian landmass to Hobart.    Fortunately it doesn't happen too often:  we average about 6   30C + days a year.   Yes, the garden is not too keen on those conditions.  But between the local possums and the wallabies I can't get too precious about gardening anyway.  :rolleyes: