The weather in Devonport Tasmania today

JockinTas

These little charts show the average temps and annual rainfall in Tasmania.  The west coast (Strahan) receives a lot more rain than the east coast (Swansea). Temps vary greatly too.  A couple of times when we've gone to the west coast in summer it was at least 10 degrees warmer than Devonport on the same day.  

http://www.tchange.com.au/climate/climate.html

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Bound4Tassie said:

What was all.that nonsense about "snowvember" I saw?!

That was  6 days ago....get with the program, girl!  :biggrin:  We've probably had 24 season changes since then!      It's Tasmania ....you'll get used to it.  :cute:  Possibly 30 next Tuesday in Hobart.

Snowvember2.jpg

1 hour ago, Bound4Tassie said:

lol! I just saw it pop up on FB the other day! If I can cope with British weather changes, I'll be ok in Tassie!

Oh you ain't seen nothing yet. When a southerly comes through the temperature can drop by 15 c in 30 minutes.Which in Sydney when it's 40c is really rather pleasant....

Another gorgeous day here.  Could do with a bit of rain now though.

I wonder where they take the daily temps from.  It's warm here with a bit of a breeze and on the thermometer in the back yard it says 24C but according to the temp in Devonport (local paper and internet) it's 18C.  

1 hour ago, Toots said:

I wonder where they take the daily temps from.  It's warm here with a bit of a breeze and on the thermometer in the back yard it says 24C but according to the temp in Devonport (local paper and internet) it's 18C.  

I'm fairly sure the Devonport Bureau of Met. readings are taken at the airport - so it would be much less protected than your backyard.   I have the same variation here:  often 2 - 3 degrees cooler than Hobart because I'm at 300 metres above sea level....but can be warmer in summer if the sea breeze isn't strong enough to reach here.  And my backyard is quite protected too...and it can be considerably warmer than the  (more exposed) front of the house.

29 minutes ago, Skani said:

I'm fairly sure the Devonport Bureau of Met. readings are taken at the airport - so it would be much less protected than your backyard.   I have the same variation here:  often 2 - 3 degrees cooler than Hobart because I'm at 300 metres above sea level....but can be warmer in summer if the sea breeze isn't strong enough to reach here.  And my backyard is quite protected too...and it can be considerably warmer than the  (more exposed) front of the house.

Yes same here especially during winter.  The backyard is very sheltered then you turn the corner to go out to the front and the blast of cold wind off the mountains hits you.  Tasmania is not a big place but the temperature can vary greatly from area to area.  Launceston is always a lot warmer than here in the summer and Queenstown over on the west can get very warm indeed.  

6 hours ago, Toots said:

Lovely day here in Devonport.  23C and a bit of a breeze.  We haven't had any rain at all for 3 weeks and now it is really needed.

We had 14C  here today - after 29 yesterday.  :rolleyes:     And finally some rain - about 15 ml in my rain gauge.....but we need a lot more.  Unfortunately the east coast, which needs it the most, missed out again.  A caller on radio this morning said that trees are starting to die there.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, libbye said:

where was the photo taken?  looks very inviting especially to those of us who are just entering into winter. brrrrrrrrr

No doubt Toots will be along to confirm...but probably Devonport or very close to it.  Could have been anywhere around Tassie's coast today...I think everywhere had warmth and sunshine.

1 hour ago, libbye said:

where was the photo taken?  looks very inviting especially to those of us who are just entering into winter. brrrrrrrrr

That is the beach at The Bluff, Devonport a 10 minute walk from our house.  That beach is very safe.  Lots of children paddling and splashing around.

I'm not surprised you have such a facility.  Australia is very good about such information and necessarily so.  I'll never forget

the time when we first arrived in Aus 50 odd years ago and took our little daughter to a spot which we knew nothing about only

to find out the next day when my husband went to work and mentioned where we'd been how lucky we were.  Can't remember the

place now but it was in NSW not far from Neutral Bay.  Someone had  recently had their leg bitten off by a big beastie!  Needless to say we

never went there again!   

Well we have arrived! In fact been here nearly week. Think we've all got day & night the right way round now! 

Been enjoying the beautiful weather. Hobart yesterday was a bit hot for me at 31C! But back up on the NW coast today was more comfortable.  In fact a bit of a chilly sea mist this aft around Turners beach. 

• Like 1