JockinTas

The weather in Devonport Tasmania today

2 hours ago, Toots said:

It's a little cove on one of the most popular beaches on the north west coast but funnily enough it's called Boat Harbour.  It's very sheltered and has some nice little cafes close by,  My favourite one is the Thistle Hut cafe.

thistle hut.jpg

sorry bad joke, recognised boat harbour I've been many a time lovely spot, just a weird name! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, can1983 said:

sorry bad joke, recognised boat harbour I've been many a time lovely spot, just a weird name! 

Boat Harbour was originally named Jacob's Boat Harbour after Captain John Jacobs, master of small vessels owned by the Van Diemen's Land Company. The vessels were used for trading between the Van Diemen's Land establishments at Circular Head and Launceston between the late 1820s and the 1840s.

9 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I love Tasmania but you don't move here for the weather!  It's much colder than the rest of Australia. In fact, many people move to Tassie because they can't handle the relentless heat further north. 

When you think of Australian weather, you're probably thinking of Home & Away.   That's filmed in Sydney.   Toots lives in Devonport, which is over 900 km further south.  Wherever you live in the UK, try going 900km further north, and consider how different the weather would be!

Bass Strait is famous for being a wild, treacherous stretch of water at its worst. 

I know all about Australian weather, and we are well prepared for what shouldn’t be a dramatic change when swapping the UK for Tasmania. Lived in Perth for a while as well, far to hot for me.

On 29/11/2021 at 18:40, Toots said:

Boat Harbour was originally named Jacob's Boat Harbour after Captain John Jacobs, master of small vessels owned by the Van Diemen's Land Company. The vessels were used for trading between the Van Diemen's Land establishments at Circular Head and Launceston between the late 1820s and the 1840s.

wow I learnt something, thanks for that

Beautiful day for the 2nd day of summer.  21C

Later this afternoon we got the tail end of Melbourne's bad weather.  We just had a heavy shower that lasted for an hour or so and could hear a rumble of thunder in the distance.  Forecast sunny again tomorrow.

We have been on the east coast for a few days.  Husband and mate doing a bit of sailing    ....................  not me, I'm not keen on boats.  Weather has been glorious.

east coast tassie.jpg

Another lovely day.  22C and a slight breeze.

The streets around here are lined with flowering gums.  

View down the river Mersey from town.

Boat with our supplies from the mainland.

Fishing off the jetty.

002.JPG

004.JPG

003.JPG

008.JPG

We did have a few days of horrible, sultry, humid weather (Yuck)  but for the last couple of days the weather has been perfect.  22C with a cloudless sky and a slight breeze.  It's forecast the same for the next week.

We have had a lovely summer.  Today was near perfect.  21C no breeze at all ................. clear sunny day.  Next week is forecast showery.

sunshine.jpg

Gorgeous weather here.  Had a swim this afternoon  .............  maybe my last one until next summer.  23C    January, Feb and March were warm and sunny .........  still is and the showers in the evenings have kept everything nice and green.

030.JPG

032.JPG

033.JPG

034.JPG

It rained during the night but today was lovely.  Cloudless sky and 14C.  

I was driving out of Devonport this morning and got caught in the most awful really heavy rain.  It was so bad I had to pull over until the worst of it was over.  The noise of it and the wind scared my dog.  He tried to hide in the footwell under a towel.  😄  Such a wuss.  The rain has passed over but the wind is blowing an absolute gale.  I haven't seen the Bass Strait so wild and rough for quite a while.

• Like 1