The weather in Devonport Tasmania today

JockinTas

2 hours ago, Toots said:

It's a little cove on one of the most popular beaches on the north west coast but funnily enough it's called Boat Harbour.  It's very sheltered and has some nice little cafes close by,  My favourite one is the Thistle Hut cafe.

thistle hut.jpg

sorry bad joke, recognised boat harbour I've been many a time lovely spot, just a weird name! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, can1983 said:

sorry bad joke, recognised boat harbour I've been many a time lovely spot, just a weird name! 

Boat Harbour was originally named Jacob's Boat Harbour after Captain John Jacobs, master of small vessels owned by the Van Diemen's Land Company. The vessels were used for trading between the Van Diemen's Land establishments at Circular Head and Launceston between the late 1820s and the 1840s.

9 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I love Tasmania but you don't move here for the weather!  It's much colder than the rest of Australia. In fact, many people move to Tassie because they can't handle the relentless heat further north. 

When you think of Australian weather, you're probably thinking of Home & Away.   That's filmed in Sydney.   Toots lives in Devonport, which is over 900 km further south.  Wherever you live in the UK, try going 900km further north, and consider how different the weather would be!

Bass Strait is famous for being a wild, treacherous stretch of water at its worst. 

I know all about Australian weather, and we are well prepared for what shouldn’t be a dramatic change when swapping the UK for Tasmania. Lived in Perth for a while as well, far to hot for me.

On 29/11/2021 at 18:40, Toots said:

Boat Harbour was originally named Jacob's Boat Harbour after Captain John Jacobs, master of small vessels owned by the Van Diemen's Land Company. The vessels were used for trading between the Van Diemen's Land establishments at Circular Head and Launceston between the late 1820s and the 1840s.

wow I learnt something, thanks for that

Beautiful day for the 2nd day of summer.  21C

Later this afternoon we got the tail end of Melbourne's bad weather.  We just had a heavy shower that lasted for an hour or so and could hear a rumble of thunder in the distance.  Forecast sunny again tomorrow.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Gorgeous weather here.  Had a swim this afternoon  .............  maybe my last one until next summer.  23C    January, Feb and March were warm and sunny .........  still is and the showers in the evenings have kept everything nice and green.

030.JPG

032.JPG

033.JPG

034.JPG

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I was driving out of Devonport this morning and got caught in the most awful really heavy rain.  It was so bad I had to pull over until the worst of it was over.  The noise of it and the wind scared my dog.  He tried to hide in the footwell under a towel.  😄  Such a wuss.  The rain has passed over but the wind is blowing an absolute gale.  I haven't seen the Bass Strait so wild and rough for quite a while.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Crazy weather here today.  It was lovely and sunny but cold this morning then by noon the sky turned very dark.  A gale force wind started, the temperature dropped further and then heavy rain which swirled in all directions lasted for hours. It was horrible.  This evening there is no wind at all and it's a lovely calm, clear moonlit night.  Who knows what tomorrow will be like.  The weather here is never boring.

• 2 weeks later...

Harry the dog has just shuffled back into the house panting.  It's 22C in the back garden.  Mind you when you turn the corner into the driveway it's 14C and windy.  Nice time of year as the daffodils, magnolias and camellias are looking lovely.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We had a dander to great lake on Monday for a couple of days.  Had snow on Tuesday  😲  That was fine as I enjoy a bit of weather.  Liawanee, a very small town nearby is one of the coldest places in Tasmania and is literally in the middle of nowhere.  Our dog loved to run wild for a few days.

I didn't take the photos but this is what it looked like.  The snow only lay for less than a day.

map of great lake area.png

great lake 2.jpeg

great lake 3.jpeg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...