The weather in Devonport Tasmania today

JockinTas

It takes all sorts, it really does.  Here is a woman who tried to climb Ben Nevis in Scotland wearing beach going footwear.  As another climber said "She's a mountain rescue episode waiting to happen."  Needless to say she gave up after a short while.   Absolutely clueless.

ben nevis.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, Toots said:

I think you are talking about the experienced hiker who was rescued on Tuesday.  He lost his backpack in heavy fog and spent a night in the freezing cold before retracing his steps to his tent the next day.  Many people underestimate how fierce the weather can be in the mountains of Tasmania.

Yes, he was able to get back to his tent but  that kept getting collapsed under the weight of the snow.  It's not just the fierceness of the weather but how quickly it can change that catches people unawares.  He set out on 3rd July but it was only last Thursday it got really wild.   A young Chinese man died at Cradle Mountain a couple of years ago - of hypothermia in February, in the middle of summer!  Just because conditions changed suddenly and he wasn't equipped for it.

8 minutes ago, Skani said:

Yes, he was able to get back to his tent but  that kept getting collapsed under the weight of the snow.  It's not just the fierceness of the weather but how quickly it can change that catches people unawares.  He set out on 3rd July but it was only last Thursday it got really wild.   A young Chinese man died at Cradle Mountain a couple of years ago - of hypothermia in February, in the middle of summer!  Just because conditions changed suddenly and he wasn't equipped for it.

Very quickly!  It catches many people by surprise especially in the mountains.  

15 hours ago, libbye said:

A hypothetical question!  If you had a choice where to live in Tasmania where would you choose?🙂

............. and it all depends what you want out of life.  Twenty years ago I would have said a few acres as far away from town and people as I could get.  Now I prefer to be on the edge of town, closer to hospital and other amenities.  I would always want to be near the sea though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Canada2Australia said:

Wow. I was just being cheeky, having a bit of a sense of humour, but I can see it's completely lost here.

Carry on in complete seriousness.......

After the few days of people having to be rescued  ...............  it's good to show how it's best to be prepared if you're coming to the Tassie mountains in the winter.  So many people think they will be OK but guess what?  They may not be.

3 hours ago, Toots said:

............. and it all depends what you want out of life.  Twenty years ago I would have said a few acres as far away from town and people as I could get.  Now I prefer to be on the edge of town, closer to hospital and other amenities.  I would always want to be near the sea though.

i would love to be near the sea I think as I love the wind in my face when walking along a beach and smell of the sea air.  Obviously needs change but I just wondered if some of you had lived in different parts of Tas and which was your favourite spot. We lived very close to the north sea once in the uk and it was miserable but the beach was lovely. at certain times of the year.  Lovely friendly people and very kind.  Suffolk.  Makes a difference to your memories.  Best smoked haddock I have ever tasted and kippers🤩

12 minutes ago, Toots said:

After the few days of people having to be rescued  ...............  it's good to show how it's best to be prepared if you're coming to the Tassie mountains in the winter.  So many people think they will be OK but guess what?  They may not be.

All I based my comment on was the photo of two guys plowing through waist deep snow. I didn't delve into the actual text. Had I know what the context of the conversation was, I wouldn't have cracked a joke.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, libbye said:

i would love to be near the sea I think as I love the wind in my face when walking along a beach and smell of the sea air.  Obviously needs change but I just wondered if some of you had lived in different parts of Tas and which was your favourite spot. We lived very close to the north sea once in the uk and it was miserable but the beach was lovely. at certain times of the year.  Lovely friendly people and very kind.  Suffolk.  Makes a difference to your memories.  Best smoked haddock I have ever tasted and kippers🤩

I am very fond of the little town of Stanley.  Who knows  ...............  might end up there one day.  😀

OMG  just beautiful  and the music very moving and powerful.  How I wish I was 20 years younger!  Thank you so much for posting.  There are not enough

adjectives to describe it. I would so love to be able to post this to my daughters.  Any advice as to how it can be done please.

3 hours ago, libbye said:

OMG  just beautiful  and the music very moving and powerful.  How I wish I was 20 years younger!  Thank you so much for posting.  There are not enough

adjectives to describe it. I would so love to be able to post this to my daughters.  Any advice as to how it can be done please.

Press 'share' on the top right hand part of the picture.  Perhaps if you copy the link that appears and send that to your daughters it might work.  Not sure about that but give it a try.

The weather in Devonport for the week.

Today:                       Min:    1            Max:    13           Sunny

Sarurday:                 Min:    5           Max:     12           Sunny

Sunday:                     Min:   8             Max:   13           Sunny

Monday:                    Min:   1             Max:    11          Showers

Tuesday:                   Min:   2            Max:     11          Sunny

Wednesday:             Min:   4            Max:     12          Sunny

Thursday:                  Min:   4           Max:      13         Sunny

Friday:                        Min:   4            Max:      12         Sunny

On 18/07/2019 at 16:59, Toots said:

I am very fond of the little town of Stanley.  Who knows  ...............  might end up there one day.  😀

I love our home at Kingston Beach. Having lived in a small semi in Southampton for many years looking at someone elses living room across the road and parked cars with the occasional hoodie loitering its heaven

Feel privileged to be here

Stanley's great a little isolated for me to live though 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, can1983 said:

I love our home at Kingston Beach. Having lived in a small semi in Southampton for many years looking at someone elses living room across the road and parked cars with the occasional hoodie loitering its heaven

Feel privileged to be here

Stanley's great a little isolated for me to live though 

I have a friend who is moving to Blackmans Bay.  She loves that whole area.

I wonder if the PC brigade will try to have the place renamed.

3 hours ago, Toots said:

I have a friend who is moving to Blackmans Bay.  She loves that whole area.

I wonder if the PC brigade will try to have the place renamed.

It was named after the first British landholder in the area, James Blackman,  not a black man.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Skani said:

It was named after the first British landholder in the area, James Blackman,  not a black man.

Sure but since the indigenous people were here thousands of years before there will be pressure to use an indigenous name

Problem with tassie is the British genocided almost everyone so most of the place names are made up by an elder who themselves is only partially indigenous. Its sort of more wrong to rename a place based on a palawa kani name made up in 1986 than to stick with a 150 year old one...

• 3 weeks later...

The weather in Devonport for the week.

Today:                       Min:     6            Max:     14          Sunny

Tuesday:                  Min:     3            Max:       15          Sunny

Wednesday:            Min:     8            Max:      13           Sunny

Thursday:                Min:     6            Max:       12           Showers

Friday:                      Min:      3           Max:       14           Sunny

Saturday:                Min:      9           Max:       13           Sunny

Sunday:                   Min:      7           Max:       14           Showers

Monday:                  Min:      5           Max:       11           Showers

Edited by Toots

• 3 weeks later...

The weather in Devonport today and for the following week.

Today:                       Min:     4            Max:       17          Showers

Friday:                       Min:     7             Max:      13          Showers

Saturday:                 Min:     9             Max:       17           Sunny

Sunday:                    Min:     6             Max:        17          Sunny

Monday:                   Min:     3             Max:        13          Sunny

Tuesday:                  Min:      6             Max:       13           Sunny

Wednesday:            Min:      7             Max:       14           Sunny

Thursday:                 Min:     11           Max:       17           Sunny

• 3 weeks later...