The weather in Devonport Tasmania today

JockinTas

On 13/06/2019 at 15:47, unzippy said:

Yep, same here though out the day.  Just wandering if I can sneak off for a quick fish before dinner😉

Thinking of going fishing, as well, the mackerel are beginning to reappear for another season.

95D95DBA-6CD3-4E6B-BFC8-A00CE59BCE8B.thumb.jpeg.d7cbdca4b8db53f00c1d0290c556f07a.jpeg

Cheers, Bobj.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/06/2019 at 17:15, libbye said:

We are having terrible weather here.  Not cold but rain  rain and more rain.  

Hello libbye....thinking of you and wondering if the rain and more rain has been replaced by heat....and more heat. It sounds horrendous over all of France.   How are you coping with it?    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skani said:

Hello libbye....thinking of you and wondering if the rain and more rain has been replaced by heat....and more heat. It sounds horrendous over all of France.   How are you coping with it?    

I was thinking of Libby too.  The heat in Europe has been awful unlike here  .................  we are in for a wet weekend.

Let us know how you are @libbye

Edited by Toots
  • Like 1

Morning all   yes heat is horrendous but we are luckier than most.  The Morbihan generally has a good climate and we're not suffering quite as much but

bad enough.  Respite due for a few days at least tomorrow )Sunday) but will believe it when it happens!  What we haven't experienced before is how damp

everything in the house is and the tiles are wet.  Will have to give everything a good airing.  I should be back in Aus mid September and although still no

definite date yet as waiting on the shippers the sale is going through.  Not feeling too much like packing at the moment but have really been very ruthless with

what I am throwing out.  Amazing what you collect and yet not really necessary. The cost of shipping is considerable but I couldn't let everything go as I want

to bring some memories of what Roger and I shared together . Your winter hasn't been too bad has it?  A lot of rain but you can never knock rain in Aus.  A

precious commodity.  Spring isn't far away now and I guess your minds will soon be turning to your lovely gardens.  Not sure what Ballarat holds for me but

I look on it as a new adventure.  Tassie is certainly on my bucket list.

Glad you are not experiencing the worst of it.  Parts of the south of France look really bad.  Apart from a few frosty nights I don't feel we've had much winter down here in the south east.  Also no rain - only half the annual average so far here and the farmers are getting quite worried.  Many people in the country are having to fill their water tanks from water carted in by water tankers - something which is never normally required after March.

We've had a mixture of everything the last week.  Unbelievable here in the Morbihan, heat that none of us who live here signed up for, thunderstorms and

rain.  Thank goodness the temp has dropped back from 38 to 23 today. Can breathe again.  

Interesting Hobart or eastern Tasmania has had so little rain.  Ballarat where I'm heading for has been having floods.  Not quite sure where I'd rather

be herein France or Aus!  A changing  climate for sure. Hope you all had a great day.  Mine is just beginning and now the sun is coming out again.

7 minutes ago, libbye said:

We've had a mixture of everything the last week.  Unbelievable here in the Morbihan, heat that none of us who live here signed up for, thunderstorms and

rain.  Thank goodness the temp has dropped back from 38 to 23 today. Can breathe again.  

Interesting Hobart or eastern Tasmania has had so little rain.  Ballarat where I'm heading for has been having floods.  Not quite sure where I'd rather

be herein France or Aus!  A changing  climate for sure. Hope you all had a great day.  Mine is just beginning and now the sun is coming out again.

What a relief it must be to have the cooler temp.  

Hobart is the second driest capital city after Adelaide.   The east coast never gets the same rainfall as the west coast.  The west coast is much wetter which ensures the rainforest thrives.  

It's about 80 km. south of Hobart in the far south east of Tasmania and is, I think, the southernmost town in Australia.  Lots of connections with the fishing (including salmon farming) and timber industries.   It has a French connection too:  it's on the shores of Esperance Bay which was named by the French explorer, Bruni DÉntrecasteaux, after one of his ships - L'Ésperance.

• Like 1

On 30/06/2019 at 18:11, Skani said:

I'm in Hobart.  Most of eastern Tasmania has had very low rainfall for the last 6 months.

The Derwent Valley had its driest June since the 1930's.  😶

We've had quite a few heavy rainfalls so the farmers should be happy.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We have had very rough, stormy and cold weather over the past week.  Today it is lovely and sunny but still cold.  There is a light covering of snow on these hills just over an hour from Devonport.

snow tiers.jpg

Edited by Toots

12 hours ago, Canada2Australia said:

It's just snow. It's not gonna harm anyone 🙂

Well it does actually.  It's OK if you have the right gear but a lot of them don't and end up suffering from hypothermia.  They send out a distress signal and then they have to be rescued.  A couple of people did that very recently when they were caught in a blizzard in the middle of nowhere.  Some people have no common sense.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Canada2Australia said:

It's just snow. It's not gonna harm anyone 🙂

That's a stupid comment.  People have died in blizzard conditions in Tasmania's high country - the most recent only 3 years ago.  The  police in that photo were searching for a hiker who was several days overdue on a trek.  He was finally located by helicopter about 30 hours after that photo was taken - after several days of heavy snow, whiteouts and very high winds.  He said he doubted he would have lasted another day.   He was very fit, a very experienced bushwalker and had all the right equipment.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Skani said:

That's a stupid comment.  People have died in blizzard conditions in Tasmania's high country - the most recent only 3 years ago.  The  police in that photo were searching for a hiker who was several days overdue on a trek.  He was finally located by helicopter about 30 hours after that photo was taken - after several days of heavy snow, whiteouts and very high winds.  He said he doubted he would have lasted another day.   He was very fit, a very experienced bushwalker and had all the right equipment.

I think you are talking about the experienced hiker who was rescued on Tuesday.  He lost his backpack in heavy fog and spent a night in the freezing cold before retracing his steps to his tent the next day.  Many people underestimate how fierce the weather can be in the mountains of Tasmania.