Glimmer of hope for accountants

UA to AU

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guys,

I have a question in relation to how the authorities assess duties & responsibilities? I have gone through the responsibilities on abs.gov website , but looks like they are very high level and do you know of all 11-12 roles given by them what are the minimum no.of roles a person must be performing?

Apparently, I had worked in MNC's where one department usually specializes in one kind of work because of the large setup as opposed to one department looking after everything.

Keeping this in view and the fact that at the start of my career I was doing some very basic accounting stuff will they still consider my experience as relevant? Or do they only consider complex accounting work? My duties from my two employer is given below.

Employer 1

1. Posting transactions to journals, ledgers and workflow management.

2. Analysis, verification and recording of Client’s Payables and requesting disbursements.

3. Ensure accuracy & completeness by posting manual adjustments to the Ledger.

4. Reconciliation of accounting statements with related transactions.

5. Ensure adherence to financial policies and procedures in auditing expense statements and External supplier invoices.

6. Appropriate recording of withholding taxes in accordance with IRS guidelines.

7. Recording & reconciliation of Advance Payments to the clients in the General Ledger

8. Processing International Payments through Wire and recording the same in the book of accounts.

9. Liaise with Client Contacts for getting resolutions on On-Hold Payables.

10. Maintains confidentiality and financial security by following internal controls.

Employer 2

1. Daily Accounting for Restructure or early termination of Derivative Trades.

2. Reconciliation of Movement in Collateral with General Ledger.

3. Booking of Hedge Accounting in accordance with FAS133

4. Booking manual entries in General Ledger originating as a result of amendment in the Asset portfolio allocation.

5. Accounting Adjustment on Unwind of the Trades.

6. Reconciliation of cashflows Settlement on the swap with the General Ledger.

7. Booking and Reconciling the Coupon Payments in the General Ledger

8. Reconciling MTM on Derivative Trades with the General Ledger

9. Preparation of Monthly Reports for Senior Finance Management.

10. Source System to Trial Balance Reconciliation and Variance Analysis.

11. Daily & Monthly Cash Reconciliation for the settlement of trades like Forwards, Swaps, Futures.

12. Booking accruals in the General Ledger.

13. Requesting Wire Transfer to ensure sufficient FX Balance

• 2 weeks later...
Any Update in August ? @Julia @sns

Hi, yes I got my letter back from CPA in July confirming that I could claim the full amount of points for experience. This will give me 80 points when I apply. However, I have not done the EOI yet as we have decided to wait and do it in November so that we don't have to pay for the visa until our visit to Australia and we are certain if this move is for us

Hi, yes I got my letter back from CPA in July confirming that I could claim the full amount of points for experience. This will give me 80 points when I apply. However, I have not done the EOI yet as we have decided to wait and do it in November so that we don't have to pay for the visa until our visit to Australia and we are certain if this move is for us

Glad you got it sorted with CPA

When / Where are you visiting ?

• 3 months later...
Hi guys, been quiet for a while as we haven't made up our minds about whether to apply or not. We leave tomorrow for 3 weeks in Perth and hopefully this will help with the decision!

Good luck with your visit.

Hope it helps your decision 1 way or the other.

Will you be contacting recruitment agencies while you are there ?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
Good luck with your visit.

Hope it helps your decision 1 way or the other.

Will you be contacting recruitment agencies while you are there ?

Wow we totally fell in love with Perth! I was kind of hoping we wouldn't like it as my life would be cheaper and easier that way, but we loved it. First day back and my husband has started decluttering the house!!

I submitted the expression of interest on 18th Dec whilst we were there and got our invite on 20th Dec. I now need to know how to apply!!

I also told my parents within the first few days of getting back, which was always my biggest issue. We are hoping to go at the end of the school year in July but I think that might be pushing it!

Wow we totally fell in love with Perth! I was kind of hoping we wouldn't like it as my life would be cheaper and easier that way, but we loved it. First day back and my husband has started decluttering the house!!

I submitted the expression of interest on 18th Dec whilst we were there and got our invite on 20th Dec. I now need to know how to apply!!

I also told my parents within the first few days of getting back, which was always my biggest issue. We are hoping to go at the end of the school year in July but I think that might be pushing it!

If you are unsure how to apply and need it done quickly you might want to consult an agent to do this part for you as it took me a lot of time to read up on what had to be done.

The fact you have done your skill assessment and EOI yourself the final part won't cost as much.

Glad you loved Perth. We arrived in Brisbane 3 days ago and I feel totally at home - although probably still in holiday mode.

Did you look into jobs while you were there ?

If you are unsure how to apply and need it done quickly you might want to consult an agent to do this part for you as it took me a lot of time to read up on what had to be done.

The fact you have done your skill assessment and EOI yourself the final part won't cost as much.

Glad you loved Perth. We arrived in Brisbane 3 days ago and I feel totally at home - although probably still in holiday mode.

Did you look into jobs while you were there ?

Oh wow, you've just arrived, I missed the date in your signature! Congratulations!!

My husband contacted an agency and they basically only wanted to know once he has a visa and has arrived. We've been researching possible jobs for him, rough areas etc, but that's all. The plan is that he gets a job first and I look after the kids and bring my online (non-accountancy) business with me. I heard from several Australian accountants that it's tough to get accounting jobs in Perth at the moment. We are also both open to career changes and steps backwards if needed.

I've logged into the visa application website - but that's all so far. Did you use an agency?

Oh wow, you've just arrived, I missed the date in your signature! Congratulations!!

My husband contacted an agency and they basically only wanted to know once he has a visa and has arrived. We've been researching possible jobs for him, rough areas etc, but that's all. The plan is that he gets a job first and I look after the kids and bring my online (non-accountancy) business with me. I heard from several Australian accountants that it's tough to get accounting jobs in Perth at the moment. We are also both open to career changes and steps backwards if needed.

I've logged into the visa application website - but that's all so far. Did you use an agency?

I don't plan getting a job for a while until the kids are settled but if something perfect comes up I'll apply.

I did the whole process myself but it took a lot of time reading up on things and only used forums for the odd query. The fact you've got this far on your own I'm sure you could finish it yourself.

Feels an age ago, but from memory you apply and pay, and then you get the option to start uploading documentation. A lot of this was a repeat of scans that had already been prepared for the skills assessment, etc, but also kids passports, birth certificates, etc. Note that currently if if is a colour scan it does not need to be certified, so this makes the process a lot quicker if you have a colour scanner at home.

For Police Checks we had already completed prior to invitation, and as soon as we had paid we were able to generate HAP IDs, and then book the medicals, which we did the next day. For us that meant everything but the medicals was loaded within 24 hours of paying, and then the medicals within 3-4 days.

Be careful on the timing if you front load - our Police Checks were done in December which then dictated our first entry date. If you want maximum flexibility and aren't in a rush you could wait to be contacted.

On the whole the hard work has already been done to get the EOI - just me meticulous on all of the documentation that you upload and you should be fine!

Feels an age ago, but from memory you apply and pay, and then you get the option to start uploading documentation. A lot of this was a repeat of scans that had already been prepared for the skills assessment, etc, but also kids passports, birth certificates, etc. Note that currently if if is a colour scan it does not need to be certified, so this makes the process a lot quicker if you have a colour scanner at home.

For Police Checks we had already completed prior to invitation, and as soon as we had paid we were able to generate HAP IDs, and then book the medicals, which we did the next day. For us that meant everything but the medicals was loaded within 24 hours of paying, and then the medicals within 3-4 days.

Be careful on the timing if you front load - our Police Checks were done in December which then dictated our first entry date. If you want maximum flexibility and aren't in a rush you could wait to be contacted.

On the whole the hard work has already been done to get the EOI - just me meticulous on all of the documentation that you upload and you should be fine!

Thanks Ferrets

OK I'm nearly done with the application, however I am struggling to keep my description of my job to 300 characters. Are they looking for a summary of the organisation, type of work and where you fit in. Or are they looking for list of bullet points on your daily tasks?

I having a bit of a panic, I got mixed up between IPA and CPA. The CPA did my skills assessment, on the visa for I nearly selected IPA. But now I'm worried in case I put IPA on the expression of interest! Does anyone know if there was a place to select the assessor (I think there was!!)??? How do I check what I put on the EOI?

I have logged in and checked my EOI, I have made a mistake!!!

I have put the assessing body as the IPA and not the CPA!!!

What do I do now?? (I haven't yet submitted the visa application thankfully)

I think you need to speak to an agent sharpish to understand next steps.

Have you already progressed your EOI to paying the fee?

Edited by Ferrets

No, I was just checking everything on the visa submission, ready to apply, and then I realised the error

• 2 weeks later...

The agents I spoke to said it was really no big deal, and I could carry on with the application. Nevertheless, I decided to go on the side of caution and resubmitted my EOI last week, and was invited again yesterday. The visa application is filled in, and planning to submit it and pay tomorrow!!

Scary stuff!!

Sorry Ausstar - I don't know anything about External Auditors. However, one of the agents I spoke to said his client had been waiting for at least 4 rounds as an Accountant with 70 points

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys! We are just starting our visa for a 189 for management accountant and we think we have 70 points! Now when CPA assess us, are points awarded purely awarded from date you qualified as an accountant or do they also award points for experience as an actual accountant?? My husband has been in a senior management accountant role for 9 years but qualified for 5! Will he gain more points if they assess his employment? We're in such a panic as two migration agents said they wouldn't take us on with 70 points as accountants aren't being invited on 70 points?!! Is this true or just crap? We're desperate to go and feel so panicked this won't happen! Has anyone with 70 points been invited to apply of late!?? Thanks all xxx

Hey guys! We are just starting our visa for a 189 for management accountant and we think we have 70 points! Now when CPA assess us, are points awarded purely awarded from date you qualified as an accountant or do they also award points for experience as an actual accountant?? My husband has been in a senior management accountant role for 9 years but qualified for 5! Will he gain more points if they assess his employment? We're in such a panic as two migration agents said they wouldn't take us on with 70 points as accountants aren't being invited on 70 points?!! Is this true or just crap? We're desperate to go and feel so panicked this won't happen! Has anyone with 70 points been invited to apply of late!?? Thanks all xxx

Hi,

I spoke to an agent recently who said that they had someone for accountant (not sure if it was general or management) with 70 and they were waiting 3 months for an invitation.

They only count post qualification experience, however sometimes they count that from the time you finished your degree, rather than accountancy qualification. CPA will decide the date and the number of years of experience. You could go for 190 for NSW to get the extra 5 points you need to get the invitation quickly if the skills assessment comes back with less than you need.

Have you done the English exam yet? I recommend PTE (it worked for me anyway)

As SNS said, work experience will be post qualification. However I used my accounting degree as my qualification, I only obtained CIMA in 2015 but they gave me 5 years post degree experience from 2010. Therefore if the degree is finance related you would get this assessed. I did have pre degree management accounting work experience, but they would not consider this.

As to points required, I've not kept up with what is needed, just make sure you maximise English points. I had to wait while but that was over a year ago and I assume things have changed.

As SNS said, work experience will be post qualification. However I used my accounting degree as my qualification, I only obtained CIMA in 2015 but they gave me 5 years post degree experience from 2010. Therefore if the degree is finance related you would get this assessed. I did have pre degree management accounting work experience, but they would not consider this.

As to points required, I've not kept up with what is needed, just make sure you maximise English points. I had to wait while but that was over a year ago and I assume things have changed.

Wow ok so this is super positive read as my husbands degree was accounting and he has been in an accountant role since, working towards his professional CIPFA qualification during work! So when you sent off to CPA for everything to be assessed do we have to select assess from degree or professional qualification?? Andrew is sitting the English academic test in a few weeks to try to obtain the 20 points for the English test part, if what you say happens for us and they assess from his degree in accounting we will have 75 points!! Woo! How is life in Oz for you?

Wow ok so this is super positive read as my husbands degree was accounting and he has been in an accountant role since, working towards his professional CIPFA qualification during work! So when you sent off to CPA for everything to be assessed do we have to select assess from degree or professional qualification?? Andrew is sitting the English academic test in a few weeks to try to obtain the 20 points for the English test part, if what you say happens for us and they assess from his degree in accounting we will have 75 points!! Woo! How is life in Oz for you?

Sorry I can't remember exactly how I filled things in now, but I know when asking for qualification to be assessed I listed my degree and didn't really mention CIMA, both for the skills assessment for CPA and the actual visa application. On the paperwork CPA send with a checklist, degree certificate and transcript are required, professional certificate is listed as if applicable. I did send the CIMA certificate, but I just didn't list it in the application (can't remember if I listed it as a secondary qualification, or if I just ignored it).

We travelled for 8 months before coming over to Australia so have only been here a couple of months. I managed to get the first job I applied for which was good and I start work next week, so life in Oz/reality is just about to start really.